Sign in to follow this  
TheREALBrooksThompson

MLB 2013 Season

So this is my last post on the forum here. Not just the off–topic section, but the entire forum. I clearly don't belong here, especially considering Live or Die Magic's opposition to anything I say. And he's in charge of things here, so there's not a lot I can do about that. He has the power to lock threads whenever he feels like doing so, and as a result I don't really have a way to express my opinion when it conflicts with his. He can just shut down debate whenever he feels like it, which is a nice thing if you're on the side that has power, but it's not such a nice thing when you're the one being shut down.

I wish that this forum would someday become a place where people's arguments could stand on their own merits and ideas could be debated without people getting offended, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case here. If you agree with LOD, you're allowed to employ whatever bull**** tactics you want, but if you disagree with him, you're limited to whatever he feels like allowing you to express.

I tried to clear this up in a private message to LOD, but he has neglected to respond to me. I know this is going to be deleted shortly after it gets posted, but for anyone who actually gets to read this, please continue to challenge the consensus reached by the forum as a whole. It's not always the right answer, and even if it was, you guys would be well served to mount an opposition to it. But please just think about these things and try to form your own opinions about what's going on.

My prediction for the baseball season is that the Braves will win it all. Other than that, I've enjoyed reading posts from Drunk on Mystery, Berto, Ibn Whatever, Jareth, TITY, and select others. You guys are awesome.

So this is my last post on the forum here. Not just the off–topic section, but the entire forum. I clearly don't belong here, especially considering Live or Die Magic's opposition to anything I say. And he's in charge of things here, so there's not a lot I can do about that. He has the power to lock threads whenever he feels like doing so, and as a result I don't really have a way to express my opinion when it conflicts with his. He can just shut down debate whenever he feels like it, which is a nice thing if you're on the side that has power, but it's not such a nice thing when you're the one being shut down.

I wish that this forum would someday become a place where people's arguments could stand on their own merits and ideas could be debated without people getting offended, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case here. If you agree with LOD, you're allowed to employ whatever bull**** tactics you want, but if you disagree with him, you're limited to whatever he feels like allowing you to express.

I tried to clear this up in a private message to LOD, but he has neglected to respond to me. I know this is going to be deleted shortly after it gets posted, but for anyone who actually gets to read this, please continue to challenge the consensus reached by the forum as a whole. It's not always the right answer, and even if it was, you guys would be well served to mount an opposition to it. But please just think about these things and try to form your own opinions about what's going on.

My prediction for the baseball season is that the Braves will win it all. Other than that, I've enjoyed reading posts from Drunk on Mystery, Berto, Ibn Whatever, Jareth, TITY, and select others. You guys are awesome.

DUDE NOOOOOO. You're not going anywhere. If I have to come and find you I WILL!

For the record I made an inappropriate comment which was later deleted. I was trying to be funny but it obviously came off the wrong way. I think that was the reason that thread was locked. It wasn't you!

What the hell did I miss in my short hiatus?

As a life long Braves fan (though not rabib like I am with the Dolphins and Magic) I am pulling for them to win it all and feel they have a good chance.

I told you I've been on vacation since last Tuesday. I haven't kept up with the boards and didn't even see this post until just now. I think you are overreacting. You certainly shouldn't leave the boards just for this. I also think you have severely misrepresented how I am on these boards, and you know it.

• Upvote 1

Don't leave. We can play internet checkers and talk about it or something.

You and I both know I should have been mentioned by name.

Also, you're overreacting. Love you, boo.

Does the PED issue in baseball make anyone else laugh? It's amusing how people fall for this charade that MLB puts on year after year to trick people into thinking they've cleaned their sport up. The league goes on these high profile witch hunts as of way of saying that these players are the outliers, and when a player cheats, they're punished. Of course it's all bull-****, but judging from reactions over the years from the real world, comment sections, and boards, people tend to fall right in line with that way of thinking. Go to any comment section of a MLB/PED related article, and one will see something along the line of "this is why I'm such a fan of player X. He's done it the right way his entire career." Every player has done it "the right way" until they get suspended.

The only thing I've taken from this Biogenesis thing is that the players involved didn't fail any tests (aside from Braun). MLB just happened to catch a break, and caught wind of a specific individual and clinic. Good for them, but what about all the other clinics and chemists that these guys have on their payroll to be in front of the testing? Again, it's just a *****ing illusion to protect their product.

When money, fame, and success is dangled in front of athletes, many of them will do whatever it takes to get to the next level to attain those rewards. It's not a MLB problem, it's a people problem. The only reason it's such a big deal in baseball is because people are obsessed with the record books. I might start caring when all sports receive equal scrutiny.

Does the PED issue in baseball make anyone else laugh? It's amusing how people fall for this charade that MLB puts on year after year to trick people into thinking they've cleaned their sport up. The league goes on these high profile witch hunts as of way of saying that these players are the outliers, and when a player cheats, they're punished. Of course it's all bull-****, but judging from reactions over the years from the real world, comment sections, and boards, people tend to fall right in line with that way of thinking. Go to any comment section of a MLB/PED related article, and one will see something along the line of "this is why I'm such a fan of player X. He's done it the right way his entire career." Every player has done it "the right way" until they get suspended.

The only thing I've taken from this Biogenesis thing is that the players involved didn't fail any tests (aside from Braun). MLB just happened to catch a break, and caught wind of a specific individual and clinic. Good for them, but what about all the other clinics and chemists that these guys have on their payroll to be in front of the testing? Again, it's just a *****ing illusion to protect their product.

When money, fame, and success is dangled in front of athletes, many of them will do whatever it takes to get to the next level to attain those rewards. It's not a MLB problem, it's a people problem. The only reason it's such a big deal in baseball is because people are obsessed with the record books. I might start caring when all sports receive equal scrutiny.

I don't fault the MLB for what it's doing. Why do you think the MLB puts on a charade about it? I feel the exact opposite: that MLB really doesn't give a fudge (and does nothing to hide it) and is only relenting to public pressure.

IMO the blame lies squarely on the general public's perception, and use of steroids. If the public didn't have exceptionally retarded views on steroids and professional sports none of this would be a problem.

I probably muddled my point, but that was basically what I was trying to say. MLB is putting on this show to quell public outrage over PED use, an outrage that ultimately stems from an obsession over records and a weird sanctimonious attitude people have. I called it a charade because it amounts to nothing more than a circle of lies among the league, players and fans. The league lies about its handle on the situation. The players lie about how disgusted they are. The fans lie when they go all holier-than-thou over this stuff.

Over the past two days, I've seen over a dozen current and past players comment on this. All of the comments amounted to how sad all of this is, and how it takes away from the guys that do it the right way and blah blah blah. That crap gets a huge roll eye from me, because I'd be willing to bet that at least one person who went on camera to say that, has or is taking steroids. I roll my eyes, but I understand how the environment forces these kinds of stances and reactions. It's just gross that this has turned into a giant soap opera for baseball and its fans, yet every other league and sport essentially gets a pass.

Look, like you, I don't even care about PED use. I don't care for the simple fact that I'm not above pretending like I wouldn't do the same thing if I perceived it as the difference between me signing a multimillion dollar contract in the pros or not. I'm not opposed to the penalties, but the self-righteousness that surrounds these guys is beyond silly.

MLB isn't nearly as popular as NBA and NFL. I think that has allowed a vocal minority to push this agenda. Those congressional hearings certainly didn't help. And the media has done a huge disservice in terms of informing people about steroids.