Sign in to follow this  
TheREALBrooksThompson

MLB 2013 Season

This thread will likely see little action, but for those who do enjoy baseball, let's talk about it.

The Braves look really good so far, obviously. I'm hoping Washington keeps up with them because that would be an awesome division race to watch in September. And probably a great playoff series as well.

My beloved Miami Marlins are unwatchable and really the whole franchise is embarrassing. A couple of years ago it looked like they were headed in the right direction and then the whole thing just blew up. The stadium is probably nice but it looks stupid, the uniforms look stupid, the owner is a lunatic, and I hope their games draw as few people as possible until there is new ownership.

Can you set the umpires on fire? :D

Wade Davis pitched an amazing game the other night. But that's what it's gonna take to beat this team. We finally have hitting that is equal to our pitching. And Evan Gattis. The guy's nickname is the white bear. How the hell do you pitch against a white bear!

Justin Upton had 2.1 WAR in 150 games last season

He had 1.4 WAR going into tonight's game, in which he homered, walked and scored twice. It was the 15th game of the season.

Thanks, Arizona!

I just wish they had taken Uggla instead of Prado lol.

Also: if Washington and Atlanta both push close to 100 wins, and then one of them loses the Wild Card game to an 84 win team, I'm going to have to set something on fire.

Yeah, the play in game is beyond stupid. I don't even count that as making the playoffs last year. Missed the playoffs because of the damn outfield fly rule.

Can you set the umpires on fire? biggrin.gif

Wade Davis pitched an amazing game the other night. But that's what it's gonna take to beat this team. We finally have hitting that is equal to our pitching. And Evan Gattis. The guy's nickname is the white bear. How the hell do you pitch against a white bear!

Based on his heat maps, throw to the outside against him. Anything on the outer half, and hes pretty mediocre.

Based on his heat maps, throw to the outside against him. Anything on the outer half, and hes pretty mediocre.

Speaking of throwing outside, when the hell is Heyward going to lay off that pitch?

Also: if Washington and Atlanta both push close to 100 wins, and then one of them loses the Wild Card game to an 84 win team, I'm going to have to set something on fire.

I don't mind the Wild Card game, even if it does result in a situation like that. It's exciting and I think ultimately people will embrace it the way they did the Wild Card itself, which was incredibly unpopular when it debuted.

I think the division format is far more infuriating and arbitrary. For example, last year in the AL both the Angels and Rays had a better record than the Tigers, but both missed the playoffs solely because they played in tougher divisions. There is no legitimate reason why that should have happened. Detroit had the 7th best record in the AL last year. That's out of 14 teams. But because they play in an arbitrary group of teams who were worse, they were division champions and avoided the play-in game. That's insane and far more offensive than the Wild Card game.

Do you think the Marlins will ever go back to their old look? I'm not a fan of the team, but you're right in pointing out how stupid their stadium and uniforms are now. The whole "12 fans in the stands" joke used to be funny until it became perfectly clear that the fan base was being subjected to an a-hole of an owner.