Sign in to follow this  
star_phenom35

Anyone besides me starting to worry a bit?

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Boston has 3 aging stars who are all past there primes, they will be good but come on. If they had got all three of them 3-4 years ago then I have them winning the East, but no way. We can beat them, it is just that are names arent as big as theres, but we could be beat them in a seven game series

Nelson-Rondo/Telfair

Ariza-Pierce

Lewis-Allen

unknown-unknown

Howard-Garnett

Rich, I'm a little disappointed with this. I know you watch the Magic games.

Rondo torched Jameer last season.

Pierce torched Ariza last year.

Allen was the first option on the Sonics while Shard was their second option.

The Celtics have Perkins to play the center position and he held Dwight in check when matched up. He plays a physical game that gets Dwight out of sorts.

KG will absolutely destroy whoever he is matched up against on our team at PF.

Basically I see that we would only have two advantages against the celts. Dwight and a marginal advantage coming off the bench.

I believe we could take them. I dont know why, that team doesnt scare me at all.

Each guy as an indivual can dominate but can they as a team dominate?

quote:

I believe we could take them. I dont know why, that team doesnt scare me at all.

Thats more or less what I was trying to get at. How, as a team, can they function?

And at what point did the Magic demonstrate that they have developed team chemistry?

Except for a very fortunate run to begin the season and another to close the season when our scheduled were extremely weak, the Magic were a horribe team last season. We were beaten consistently by some of the worst teams in the league. And we finished below .500 on the season and 1 game away from missing the playoffs to the Knicks.

You people need to get real sometimes. I love the Magic and will watch 82 games every single season. But I also watch another 500 games on League Pass and am fully aware of what kind of competition exists out there.

The Magic are nowhere near a finished product and that is very frustrating since we have been told by management for a couple years to wait for this Summer. This is when we were supposed to be vaulted into the conversation among other elite teams. And now we're still talking about how good this team will be in three years and how other teams that are situated to make title runs right now are not in as favorable a situation as us long term.

Long term plans can change in an instant. It doesn't need to take 3-4 years to turn around a franchise as long as management is strong in their resolve. They make the decision to go in a different direction and it can occur immediately. It just takes a little ingenuity.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

Thats more or less what I was trying to get at. How, as a team, can they function?

I think, unfortunately, that they will play great together. Garnett had his best season when Minnesota put talented players in Cassell and Sprewell around him. In fact that season he won MVP. He didn't do it by scoring a ton but he did rebound 13+ a game and dish out 6+ assists per game. Garnett has never been or wanted to be the number one scoring option but has been forced into that role because of mediocre talent around him.

Pierce had some of his best seasons when Antoine Walker took some of the pressure off of him. Since then he has been forced to lead a young team and has put up numbers but at the expense of good shot selection and good shooting percentages.

Ray Allen has also played well with other stars in Rashard, Cassell, and to a lesser extent Glenn Robinson.

Each of these guys has struggled over the last few years on young or mediocre teams. I think they will embrace the opportunity to play with all star talent and will realize that this is the best shot they are going to get to win a championship. That is why I think they will play well together.

There have been successful threesomes in the past like Magic-Worthy-Kareem, Bird-McHale-Parrish, Duncan-Ginobili-Parker, Jordan-Pippen-Rodman, Drexler-Barkley-Olajuwon (though they didn't go to the finals thanks to..), Stockton, Malone, Hornacek. I think some of these are better than Pierce-Allen-Garnett obviously but there is precedent.

I agree, now we are hearing three years when 3 years ago we were hearing this summer was going to make us a contender, and all it has done is make us the laughing stock of the NBA world.

quote:
Originally posted by LJ Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

I think, unfortunately, that they will play great together. Garnett had his best season when Minnesota put talented players in Cassell and Sprewell around him. In fact that season he won MVP. He didn't do it by scoring a ton but he did rebound 13+ a game and dish out 6+ assists per game. Garnett has never been or wanted to be the number one scoring option but has been forced into that role because of mediocre talent around him.

Pierce had some of his best seasons when Antoine Walker took some of the pressure off of him. Since then he has been forced to lead a young team and has put up numbers but at the expense of good shot selection and good shooting percentages.

Ray Allen has also played well with other stars in Rashard, Cassell, and to a lesser extent Glenn Robinson.

Each of these guys has struggled over the last few years on young or mediocre teams. I think they will embrace the opportunity to play with all star talent and will realize that this is the best shot they are going to get to win a championship. That is why I think they will play well together.

There have been successful threesomes in the past like Magic-Worthy-Kareem, Bird-McHale-Parrish, Duncan-Ginobili-Parker, Jordan-Pippen-Rodman, Drexler-Barkley-Olajuwon (though they didn't go to the finals thanks to..), Stockton, Malone, Hornacek. I think some of these are better than Pierce-Allen-Garnett obviously but there is precedent.

I think they will be good, but they have taken the Miami way to greatness, they have set themselves up for a one and done. But they will be good, and they should be a cohesive. I am just pissed that the Celtics have managed to get to the place where we were suppose to be this summer.

Hey Smack if you like all these other teams way better than us then why not just take off your magic cap and go root for them. I understand you are not thrilled with this team but IT IS WHAT IT IS. The better teams usually win not the ones with the stars.... see Denver. Hopefully we will turn into a good squad.

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

Hey Smack if you like all these other teams way better than us then why not just take off your magic cap and go root for them. I understand you are not thrilled with this team but IT IS WHAT IT IS. The better teams usually win not the ones with the stars.... see Denver. Hopefully we will turn into a good squad.

Alright lets just all chill out here. No need to start calling people traitors and stuff.

I think this should be locked to avoid any more arguing.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Boston has 3 aging stars who are all past there primes, they will be good but come on. If they had got all three of them 3-4 years ago then I have them winning the East, but no way. We can beat them, it is just that are names arent as big as theres, but we could be beat them in a seven game series

Nelson-Rondo/Telfair

Ariza-Pierce

Lewis-Allen

unknown-unknown

Howard-Garnett

Rich, I'm a little disappointed with this. I know you watch the Magic games.

Rondo torched Jameer last season.

Pierce torched Ariza last year.

Allen was the first option on the Sonics while Shard was their second option.

The Celtics have Perkins to play the center position and he held Dwight in check when matched up. He plays a physical game that gets Dwight out of sorts.

KG will absolutely destroy whoever he is matched up against on our team at PF.

Basically I see that we would only have two advantages against the celts. Dwight and a marginal advantage coming off the bench.

Rondo- Really? I wasn't aware that going 8-26, including games of 0-5, and 3-12 were considered "torching". Seriously, some of you really dislike Jameer beyond reason.

Paul Pierce- The only matchup where Pierce "torched" us was that classic no call game. By the way, he was guarded by Hedo (who played him very well up until overtime), and Grant "Defensive liability" Hill, not Trevor.

Allen- I've already stated this. Not many players can become first options over a lights-out shooter like Allen, who's on the verge of breaking Millers record.

If the Celtics truly acquired KG, then they would become a threat, and possibly a contender, but don't compare all three players stats separately because they're scoring is going to dip.

Plus, why are some people writing us out already? We haven't played a single game and yet some state that we have no chance to win. How do you know this? Are you inferring that the East has become so superior that we now stand no chance? Give me a break! Let the games speak for themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

I've got a better idea. How about you attend the very first ever Magic game as a season ticket holder and then continue to remain loyal as a season ticket holder for 19-20 years while watching the Magic make all the wrong moves to ensure that the money you're continually spending to watch the team you love is laughed at by other teams around the league.

Not you or any other member of this board can question my devotion and admiration of this team.

To look at the promise that existed this Summer and how it's unfolded while other teams that had less to work with are improving tremendously based only on a more aggressive approach leaves me a little frustrated. It doesn't however mean that I wish I was in the shoes of those other team's fans.

I am fully committed to this team and will be until the day I die. But the Magic organization driving me to an earlier grave while taking my season ticket money each year reserves me the right ot criticize whenever I see fit.