Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

When did it become "hating" or "being mad" to honestly point out a players flaws?

I wouldn't call it hating or being mad, but it is entirely ridiculous to give up on a player or act like he can't/won't improve after just one season in the NBA.

When did it become "hating" or "being mad" to honestly point out a players flaws?

It's not simply pointing out his flaws it's claiming he has no potential. It may not be classified as "hating" but you knew what I meant so don't be so pretentious.

I wouldn't call it hating or being mad, but it is entirely ridiculous to give up on a player or act like he can't/won't improve after just one season in the NBA.

I don't think anyone is giving up on him. Just the normal progression of improvement isn't going to make him a good defender and the current makeup of the team doesn't help hide his defense. He's still worth a roster spot as he's not the first pf with a great post game and below average defense. He's not going to be a starter on a good team though. His projected ceiling is a lot lower due to his age. If he was 19 playing this way there's a better chance that he would improve. He's turning 24 in December and will be in his prime (25-27) by the end of his rookie contract.

I don't think anyone is giving up on him. Just the normal progression of improvement isn't going to make him a good defender and the current makeup of the team doesn't help hide his defense. He's still worth a roster spot as he's not the first pf with a great post game and below average defense. He's not going to be a starter on a good team though. His projected ceiling is a lot lower due to his age. If he was 19 playing this way there's a better chance that he would improve. He's turning 24 in December and will be in his prime (25-27) by the end of his rookie contract.

And now I feel silly. Due to my laziness I skipped some posts and only caught people criticising Nicholson, didn't realise the discussion was about whether he would be a starter. My mistake, I'll make sure I scroll back a bit more from now on.

I said he wasn't starting material due to these flaws, I didn't suggest we cut him or send him to the D league

It's not simply pointing out his flaws it's claiming he has no potential. It may not be classified as "hating" but you knew what I meant so don't be so pretentious.

Again, and this is getting old already, I didn't say he had no potential. I said he wasn't starting material unless you plan on losing...a lot.

Edit: I read your response above and assume you understand this wasn't just a bash AN session.

Can we get back on topic....the draft.

If you want to continue debating the potential or lack of for AN the offseason thread is a better place.

Interesting piece on ESPN (Insider Only) about metrics that a lot of teams are using.

Metric rankings

Noels and Zeller were 1 and 2 with McClemore in 3rd.

Anyone who's seen McLemore stroke a 3-point shot will not be surprised that he recorded the top shooting score of the 134 prospects I measured, and he projects to put up the best 3-point percentage of any rookie next season. McLemore's upside is what's most intriguing to me: His projected five-year WARP is best in the draft, making him a solid option to go with as the top overall pick.

Burke came in seventh mainly because his usage rate is high and defense is sub par and Olidipo surprisely came in 10th.

I like Burke but only if we trade down but I am starting to think McClemore is the target if his interview went well enough yesterday.

I was being rather conservative. I hear speculation pretty frequently that he's something like 6'9 260-70, which is insane.

Yeah, dude's bigger than Karl Malone, one of the greatest PFs of all time, and he plays like a SG. It's crazy.

I don't really like LeBron, but the guy is amazing.

Interesting piece on ESPN (Insider Only) about metrics that a lot of teams are using.

Metric rankings

Noels and Zeller were 1 and 2 with McClemore in 3rd.

That's interesting; I hadn't heard much about Zeller. Any interest from the Magic in him?