Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Rob Hennigan: Executive of the Year?

The Magic have been fun to watch this year, and though we have a losing record I actually have more players that I enjoy and am a fan of. We now have a more stable situation and the talent we now have will be interesting to watch for months and even years to come. Henny in my book is Exec of the Year.

Hennigan was on our Open Mike radio show Tuesday and discussed why he took a pass on Bynum.

"A lot the decision stems from having a core set of values on what we want to be about on the floor as well as off the floor," Hennigan said. "When we were doing a lot of our analysis about what the best option was to trade Dwight, we felt really comfortable on the research we had done on Nik Vucevic, Moe Harkless and Aaron Afflalo. Obviously, we wanted draft picks as well ... but we felt really good about (those three players) and the potential they would have when given the opportunity to play for a coach like Jacque Vaughn, who really develops and believes in players."

When asked if he was concerned about Bynum's balky knees, Hennigan replied: "I think it (Bynum's health) was a concern as we did our research into the history of his career. Certainly, the fact that he missed the whole season was unfortunate for everybody."

Everybody except the Magic.

In a forgettable season with scant few highlights, the most memorable moment may be the move that Rob "Hardball" Hennigan had the good sense NOT to make.

If you want to listen to our entire interview with Hennigan, click here.