Sign in to follow this  
Jeryl Sasser

Rashard Lewis: The $120 Million Dollar Man

The Seattle Supersonics just drafted two up and comers in the June draft and have a great foundation to build their future. The best news for them came when Rashard Lewis opted out of his deal and decided to retire in Florida.

Lewis is a unique talent in the NBA and many people are measuring up new Sonic Kevin Durant to be a long lost twin of his as they both have similar size, frame and game. But the Orlando Magic, who have not been making smart trades since Tracy McGrady

The Seattle Supersonics just drafted two up and comers in the June draft and have a great foundation to build their future. The best news for them came when Rashard Lewis opted out of his deal and decided to retire in Florida.

Lewis is a unique talent in the NBA and many people are measuring up new Sonic Kevin Durant to be a long lost twin of his as they both have similar size, frame and game. But the Orlando Magic, who have not been making smart trades since Tracy McGrady

I know this is probably an old topic, and you guys are probably getting sick of talking about the contract and all that, but this is my first chance to say something about it here at this site.

Really I just have a question, why, when it seemed that they were bidding for Rashard with no competition to sign him, did they give him that ridiculous contract?? I didn't hear about any teams trying to sign him (A little interest from Houston), and if there were they certainly were not offering anywhere near what he got, so why give him that much??

This move is really going to make it hard for the Magic to add much of anything to this team for a few years.

I hope you guys love this team the way it is right now, because there won't be alot of new additions coming in the next five or so years.

quote:
Originally posted by RIP CITY:

I know this is probably an old topic, and you guys are probably getting sick of talking about the contract and all that, but this is my first chance to say something about it here at this site.

Really I just have a question, why, when it seemed that they were bidding for Rashard with no competition to sign him, did they give him that ridiculous contract?? I didn't hear about any teams trying to sign him (A little interest from Houston), and if there were they certainly were not offering anywhere near what he got, so why give him that much??

This move is really going to make it hard for the Magic to add much of anything to this team for a few years.

I hope you guys love this team the way it is right now, because there won't be alot of new additions coming in the next five or so years.

Our GM was concerned that there was a chance that Rashard would sign with Houston. Although he mentioned in the news conference that we were the obvious choice, going back to your hometown, and having a jersey in front of your house waiting for you can be a little intimidating.

While some believe that Magic fans are furious with the contract, we would have been angrier if we didn't acquire him.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:

Our GM was concerned that there was a chance that Rashard would sign with Houston. Although he mentioned in the news conference that we were the obvious choice, going back to your hometown, and having a jersey in front of your house waiting for you can be a little intimidating.

While some believe that Magic fans are furious with the contract, we would have been angrier if we didn't acquire him.

not true. there were other options that would have provided us immediate and long term success. unless if we make the ecf this year, it was a poor choice to go with shard

quote:

That's the only question I have as well. Can't get a strait answer out of everyone.

quote:

Management has delt with angrier fans. I'm sure if the Magic didn't acquire Rashard that the Magic would of at least gotten GWall or even better waited for agent 0.

ignore murph he lies too much. he would have been pissed if we didnt get rashard and he went to houston and had a hell of a year. he would be the first to put otis in the frying pan. Ignore the Ignorat posters they just like to complain because they have nothing better to do.

quote:

You know what i think what happen was that houston had little interest but new york was talking about getting him too and you know how new york overpays there players. So i guess the magic figured out to start bidding high and see which other teams really want him as bad as they did. But he was still to me overpaid. That 5 year 75million better fit lewis than 6 year 120million.

This topic has been discussed very very heavily here in many threads.

Suffice it to say that the board is of mixed opinion about the Lewis deal, for many of the reasons mentioned in the quoted article and for other reasons as well.

At this point, the proof will be in the pudding. Wins will silence all the critics, including me. Anything else will be a disaster because our team's maneuvering room for the future is about non-existent.