Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Why we would get swept by Detroit again...

Ok. Here goes. Something to generate discussion.

I have been thinking about this a lot. Because we had so much trouble matching up with Detroit last year, how have we improved against that matchup so far?

Regardless of what you think about the Eastern Conference and what Cleveland was able to do, Detroit is still the premier team in the East. They are the team everybody is circling on their calender.

Last year we not only got swept in the playoffs, but also in the regular season. We went 0-8 against the team that is the benchmark for the Eastern Conference. Don't forget, they were the number one seed and held the regular season's best record in the East.

So how do we compare now?

Well, we got rid of the one player that could matchup with Detroit's frontcourt presence, Milicic.

Sheed, Webber & McDyess pose all kinds of problems. Those problems would be much more pronounced now than last year. We could not play Shard at the PF, he would get destroyed. We would be forced to play Battie, Augie & Gortat. To matchup with Sheed, Mcdyess & Webber...are you kidding me? Despite what Dwight could do to slow them down, we would get worked.

The most pronounced weakness we had against Detroit last year was at the PG position. I truly believe that SVG would play Dooling much more at the point, at least closing the gap on that differential. But, we would still face the same disadvantage with Jameer starting.

Then you look at the SG position. Last year we had G Hill. This year we have JJ, Ariza, & Bogans. Whether you feel Grant's skills have deteriorated or not, he is still a better player than Bogans or JJ. Ariza is the only one that could possibly slow down RIP, but I still see us having a problem matching up at the SG position.

Then you look at the SF spot. In this area, without being able to play Shard at the PF, we have played into their biggest strength, DEFENSE. They have the rubber band man, Prince playing the SF spot. He stands the best chance of guarding Shard out of anybody in the Eastern Conference. We also don't have anything that resembles a change of pace by bringing Turk in the game. It's basically like this. "Oh crap, you can stop Shard, well then you can definitely stop his less productive, and less athletic clone."

Honestly, the only area we have an advantage is at Center, again.

Detroit has also solidified their bench through the draft and trades. Not to mention they resigned Billups & Johnson. Stuckey will be a beast.

So for everybody that feels so good about our chances now, take a quick peak at how we realistically stack up, and then get down on your knees and pray that Otis isn't done with this lineup.

Ok. Here goes. Something to generate discussion.

I have been thinking about this a lot. Because we had so much trouble matching up with Detroit last year, how have we improved against that matchup so far?

Regardless of what you think about the Eastern Conference and what Cleveland was able to do, Detroit is still the premier team in the East. They are the team everybody is circling on their calender.

Last year we not only got swept in the playoffs, but also in the regular season. We went 0-8 against the team that is the benchmark for the Eastern Conference. Don't forget, they were the number one seed and held the regular season's best record in the East.

So how do we compare now?

Well, we got rid of the one player that could matchup with Detroit's frontcourt presence, Milicic.

Sheed, Webber & McDyess pose all kinds of problems. Those problems would be much more pronounced now than last year. We could not play Shard at the PF, he would get destroyed. We would be forced to play Battie, Augie & Gortat. To matchup with Sheed, Mcdyess & Webber...are you kidding me? Despite what Dwight could do to slow them down, we would get worked.

The most pronounced weakness we had against Detroit last year was at the PG position. I truly believe that SVG would play Dooling much more at the point, at least closing the gap on that differential. But, we would still face the same disadvantage with Jameer starting.

Then you look at the SG position. Last year we had G Hill. This year we have JJ, Ariza, & Bogans. Whether you feel Grant's skills have deteriorated or not, he is still a better player than Bogans or JJ. Ariza is the only one that could possibly slow down RIP, but I still see us having a problem matching up at the SG position.

Then you look at the SF spot. In this area, without being able to play Shard at the PF, we have played into their biggest strength, DEFENSE. They have the rubber band man, Prince playing the SF spot. He stands the best chance of guarding Shard out of anybody in the Eastern Conference. We also don't have anything that resembles a change of pace by bringing Turk in the game. It's basically like this. "Oh crap, you can stop Shard, well then you can definitely stop his less productive, and less athletic clone."

Honestly, the only area we have an advantage is at Center, again.

Detroit has also solidified their bench through the draft and trades. Not to mention they resigned Billups & Johnson. Stuckey will be a beast.

So for everybody that feels so good about our chances now, take a quick peak at how we realistically stack up, and then get down on your knees and pray that Otis isn't done with this lineup.

I'm willing to believe that Otis doesn't want to be done. But at this point he may have backed himself into a corner; no cap space and not a lot of players that he's willing to trade that anyone else seems to want.

Will we get another big body or two using the Vet minimum? I'm sure we will. Will they be any good? I'm not sure about that at all.

It's a problem, for sure: like San Antonio, Detroit put together a great team.

But they're getting older. For example, here's how you could get Detroit to work against themselves.

PG

Billups. Billups is good. He's got a good head, he's clutch, he's big for his position. While he hasn't gotten much credit for this, he is one of the premier point guards out there. The best we could hope for would be to slow down his offense with Dooling and make him run, run, run on defense with Jameer.

SG

Hamilton. I've always thought that Hamilton's overrated. He has a good mid-range shot, he's pretty good at getting open and hitting his free throws. Ariza, if his defense continues to improve, could neutralize him.

SF

Teyshawn. Teyshawn's probably the only shut-down defender the Pistons have. While he's only 6'9 the dude has a wingspan over 7'. If I could snag one player from the Pistons, he'd be the guy - he just brings it every night. Even so, Rashard is 6'10 and has a high release on his shot. Maybe a wash, but Prince wouldn't be able to drop in and help nearly as much as in the past.

PF

Seriously, Sheed's a headcase. When you're playing with a headcase, you push him around, flop, and do little annoying things until he blows up, yells at the refs, gets ejected, etc. Can Battie do this? Probably not: agreed, this is the position where we'll probably come up short.

C

Does it really matter who they run at center? Webber couldn't guard his shadow and they don't really have anyone else. Of course, Dwight would be doubled by whomever's at PF, so it really doesn't matter who's guarding Dwight.

Coach

Ours has changed. This will no longer be Jameer walking the ball up the court, dribbling in place until Dwight gets into place (along with the entire Detroit defense, with Prince fronting him and the whole team waiting for the pass), and then the inevitable toss to Dwight which will inevitably be picked off and run the other direction.

Yes, the Pistons are on top for a good reason, but they're starting to slow down and a good running team should be able to wear them out. If we had won one more game and ended up facing any other team in the first round, I think we could have taken at least a game from the Pistons.

Not to put everything on the guy, but Brian Hill's strategy was so transparent, I know JV Cheerleaders that could have come up with a counter-strategy.

Also, with the exception of the game three blowout, we were right there every single game. While the end result was a sweep, it wasn't quite the beating we all remember it as.

Until we start defending the 3pt line better and learn how to control opposing PG's we are going to get beat by teams like this. Chauncey killed us. If SVG can do something different on D then we will be in better shape.

I sound like a broken record now but just about everything hinges on what we pick up to go at the 4.

This year or pass season, the biggest problem we have during palyoff with detroit is freethrows, if we would have got all the freethrows we will have win a few games.

This year we will win.

We match up worse with Detroit than anyone else in the east. Even with Darko there frontline gave us alot of trouble and it definitely won't get easier without him. I think with better game plans the Magic could win a game or two but in the end the Pistons would beat us again. Our success from here on out is going to depend on how much better our young players can get, namely Dwight. If Dwight can pick up his game to another level that we all believe he will get to this will be a whole new argument.

We also desperately need a power forward.

I would say their guards ended up bothering us a lot more than their bigs. Chris looked lost most of the time, 'Sheed fouled a lot, and so on.

It was Billups and Hamilton that torched us (basically whomever was being guarded by Jameer just shot over him). If we could get Fran to come over, it would help.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

We also desperately need a power forward.

To Quote The Solution:

"You mean like Milicic?"

LOL, is he available? I was reading a article today where Ivaroni was just gushing about Darko's game and I felt like I got kicked in the balls after I finished.

Detroit would collapse the middle, effectively offsetting Dwight, or at least sending him to the line.

We would have to live or die by the three pointer. Create constant motion and screens (not easy against Detroit) and launch at least 25 3's per game and see what happens.

Space Lewis, Turk, JJ, and Jameer around the outside line. In other words, use our one strength to a such a degree that it either fails miserably or succeeds tremendously.

Actually, I'd love to see that strategy in action, at least for one game.