Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Which is better for photography: Mac or PC?

I'm starting to get into photography and I'm looking for a good desktop/laptop to use for editing my photos. Which would you say is better for this line of work; and which model should I look to buy?

I'll be using a Canon SD750 and Nikon D80.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'm starting to get into photography and I'm looking for a good desktop/laptop to use for editing my photos. Which would you say is better for this line of work; and which model should I look to buy?

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

All the graphic artists that I work with at my company use Macs. Apparently Adobe's suite of photo applications lend themselves better to Macs.

But my guess is there are plenty of great applications available on the PC platforms as well, including all of the aforementioned Adobe products.

Unless you plan on taking it up to a professional level, I would base your decision more on the cost of the computer and the software, and less on the brand (i.e., Mac or PC).

We have a mac mini which is quite a bit cheaper but you still get the graphic software benefits of a mac. I think we paid about $600. All of my photo editing is done on the mac.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

All the graphic artists that I work with at my company use Macs. Apparently Adobe's suite of photo applications lend themselves better to Macs.

But my guess is there are plenty of great applications available on the PC platforms as well, including all of the aforementioned Adobe products.

Unless you plan on taking it up to a professional level, I would base your decision more on the cost of the computer and the software, and less on the brand (i.e., Mac or PC).

good advice^^

Thanks everyone. So far, it's just starting out as a hobby but, with hopes of, MAYBE, one day being a career.

Another route I was thinking of going was building my own computer. I've never done it before, but I know I can build it to my exact specifications for a little less then what's out there.

Another question: would you say a desktop is better than a laptop for photo editing?

quote:

Another question: would you say a desktop is better than a laptop for photo editing?

I can answer this one! Because I have to travel a lot for my job, I have a laptop. However, I HATE having a laptop! I don't like typing on the little keyboard and don't get me started on the little mouse pad. So, when I am at work, I use a docking station which allows me to use a regular keyboard and mouse, as well as my 21 inch flatscreen monitor.

As for processing power, there isn't much difference anymore between the laptops and the desktops. But remember, you can get desktops CHEAP!!

So, if you want the flexibility of being able to work on the go, get a laptop. But make sure to also invest in a docking station. You may also want to get a separate monitor...but by then you are getting into more money.

I've started rambling so I'll stop. I hope this helps.