Sign in to follow this  
djmase20

Yi getting blocked? Fran pt 2. Could we swoop in?

I just read through the Yi article and I came across a quote:

quote:
"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

"Rather we want to find a team suitable for Yi's growth. That's the root of the problem," he added.

Earlier in July, Yi's Chinese agent said the unsigned player was looking to be traded to another club, despite pledges by Milwaukee officials to do whatever they could to make him feel at home.

Chen expressed concern that Yi would have trouble getting playing time with the Bucks, whose squad boasts Australian 7-footer Andrew Bogut and a number of other tall young players.

"The national team and the Olympic Games are now our key considerations ... If [Yi] goes to a team where he can't compete, that would be being irresponsible to the national team," Chen said.

This basically means that his agents don't feel as if there is any spotlight left for him in Milwaukee while they have Bogut, Redd and other "tall" players. Now with our PF spot WIDE open I think we fit this bill perfectly because he would get to replace Darko in the starting lineup and grow next to Dwight and Rashard at the 5 and 3 spots respectfully.

On the issue of wanting to go to teams with a large Chinese population I quote something else :

quote:
"This is not -- as media reports have said -- because Milwaukee, as a city with very few Chinese people, is not good for Yi's commercial development," Chen said.

So basically we're the perfect team for Yi.

I say the rankings for Yi go like this:

1. Lakers

2. Bulls

3. Magic

4. Spurs

5. Mavs

6. Knicks

Warriors are basically out of contention now because they signed Brandan Wright and would not be considered because Harrington plays the Pf spot for them.

The Magic should really look into this.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

If he ends up not playing for them and re-enters the draft next season that is much worse than what Fran did.

I don't think he can reenter the draft. Just like us with Fran, Milwaukee owns his rights.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

While we are on the subject, is anyone else bothered by players picking and choosing who they want to draft them? I think if they are going to sit out and void the pick, he should be banned from the NBA some length of time. If he was smart he would play out his rookie contract then just skip town unless he is scarred that he doesn't have enough game to prove himself out there.

I agree completely, it irks me to no end. By the way, it is not just international players, Francis and Danny Ferry did the same thing. Francis lucked out because Vancouver traded him.

I'm with you, the next CBA should have a rule that says that if you declare for the draft, you must report to the team that drafts you. If you don't, you should be banned for 5 years and the team that lost the pick would get the same pick in the next year's draft. Milwaukee would get the sixth pick next year. Everyone else moves back a spot. It would probably never be enforced because few players would pull out if they are looking at a five year ban.

quote:
Originally posted by T-Cat:

If Yi goes to the Magic, ticket sales would go up and lead to a new arena!

agreed lol... The Magic needs the buzz... Im sure if we bring in Yi, we will air more on TV and will be a bigger market.

I really hope that to keep some sort of power for NBA teams, that Yi MUST play for Milwaukee or pretty much never play in the NBA unless the Bucks trade his rights or renounce them. I'm not sure on the rules on this.

Portland held on to Sabonis' rights for forever and a day, so as long as the Bucks don't mind to take a little salary cap hit every year to hang on to his rights, then why not?

I personally think the Bucks should make it clear to Yi: Either you play in Milwaukee or just go back to China and never come back. Forget about any NBA dreams. Then again, I think I'm one to hold a grudge, so there you go.

skywise, im right there with ya, altho i kno im one to hold a grudge so that prob doesnt answer u on that front. if they get to keep his rights then i wouldnt trade him either, if its about publicity, then id tell them that he gets publicity in milwakee or no publicity at all, then see where they stand. on him coming to the magic, hed be great, his finesseness would be fine with dwight, however, theres no way it happens. the trade w/ golden state is the best option for both teams, and wright can be trade 30 days after he signed the deal so bout 20 from now.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

If he ends up not playing for them and re-enters the draft next season that is much worse than what Fran did.

I don't think he can reenter the draft. Just like us with Fran, Milwaukee owns his rights.

Actually he can if he does not play any basketball at all next year in the NBA or internationally. I think the only thing he would be allowed to do is practice with his national team.

With guys like Fran and Sabonis they just were not ready to come to the US. They were not opposed to the particular team that drafted them.

I agree that it is wrong for him to pick the team he wants to play for but guys like Steve-O and Kobe have done this. It does not make it right but he certainly would not be the first to force the issue.

It will be interesting to see who budges first. Do the Bucks trade him or does he really sit out one full year of competitive basketball with the 2008 olympics coming up in his home country.