Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Chad Ford "rips" Otis for mis-management of our salary cap! (ESPN Insider)

quote:
Originally posted by ATL_MagicFan:

Why does everyone think the Garnettes and Dirks deserve max contracts but not Lewis. If you look at the numbers they are pretty comparable. KG and DN get more PR from the media thats it.

Wow, to even put Lewis in the same sentence.

The numbers, riiiiiiggggghhhhht.

quote:

Why does everyone think the Garnettes and Dirks deserve max contracts but not Lewis. If you look at the numbers they are pretty comparable. KG and DN get more PR from the media thats it.

Did you seriously compare multi-time all stars with MVP trophies on thair mantle to Rashard???

Now I know you have lost your mind.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Did you seriously compare multi-time all stars with MVP trophies on thair mantle to Rashard???

Now I know you have lost your mind.

I wasn't going to get involved in this argument but you have clearly lost your mind with that statement Atl. Lewis isn't close to the calibre of player that KG and Dirk are. Those guys are MVP candidates. Lewis has been to the allstar game once. There is no comparison.

quote:

Enfuego, I'm not upset. I'm happy about what Otis did. Can we say that about you.

I suppose that's a question there at the end. I'm not very impressed with what Otis did. On June 30th, he still had Darko and he had cap money. He spoke about creative financing and how important it was to keep Darko.

Right now, he has Rashard. I like that. I don't care about the max money. It's the cost of doing business and we weren't going to be players of the FA market over the next few years regardless of who we signed. But there were no other moves and comments are surfacing that he didn't really work to make moves that would have gotten us Darko or something back for Darko.

You can say that it's hearsay but the Ford article quotes sources in Seattle saying he didn't really work options. You have the Magic media saying they wanted Trevor, Ariza, and JJ and a first rounder and the crown jewels. I don't know who to belive but Otis is developping a reputation for saying things to the media that end up not being true. Does he know how to say "no comment?"

Another article quoted an unnamed source saying several teams contacted Otis concerning Darko but no calls where returned. True or fiction? I don't know.

But I'm dissapointed. What he ended up doing does not call for alot of strategy or brains. He just threw the most money at Rashard. What's creative about that?

Yeah they are MVP's but who votes for them. What have they won.

To Smack, 95% of the NBA teams don't have cap room. They sign players with the MLE and vet min. Isn't that what the Sun's did with Hill.

quote:

To Smack, 95% of the NBA teams don't have cap room. They sign players with the MLE and vet min. Isn't that what the Sun's did with Hill.

Those teams were already perrenial contenders that weren't over the cap a few years ago. you go over the cap when you are already a contender and you are ooking to put the finishing touches on an already proven roster. You don't do it with guys that have always been the second option on their team and have never made a reputation in the playoffs.

Please get your comparisons straight. You can't compare the Magic today with contenders of the last 5 years, unless you are talking about their mutual inability to spend money because of salary cap constraints.

You also can't compare the Lakers, Heat, Pistons of today with teams that won championships in years past. It doesn't work like that.

quote:

Holy crap you are for real. C'mon man Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett, need I repeat. IF you are to hand out a max contract, its pretty much justifies itself when they are landing in the hands of Dirk and KG.

In your opinion, would you say we shouldn't be paying Dwight with a max?

Are ya'll really comparing Rashard to KG and Dirk. That is absolutely ridiculous. Look Lewis is a good player but is nowhere near the caliber of player of KG or Dirk. What an absolutely ridiculous post. Remember KG and Dirk are both 1st team NBA type guys and first options on their teams, Rashard might end up being a 3rd team nba guy at best (how great would that be). Rashard is a great addition but nowhere near the player of dirk or kg.