Sign in to follow this  
christophergentry110401

Smith, Nelson's agent to talk Brian Schmitz

Just based on performance, I don't think Jameer deserves some fat extension based off of, quite frankly, a terrible year last year. Brian Hill had a lot to do with it, but lets face it, he's gotta own some of that on his own.

I'd rather let him play this season out with SVG, Lewis, J.J. getting a lot more minutes, no Grant Hill dragging the offensive set to a halt, etc.

It's a strange position to try to evaluate him now when the whole team should be different next year. Let him play things out and see where he fits in. Heck, what if Carlos gets a fair shot and outplays him? Or Dooling?

I realize you take the risk of him blowing up in a contract year, but does anyone really think he'll turn into the next Billups or something? No, more than likely he'll just return to his good form from 2 seasons ago. Or he'll just completely bust, which means its time to move on anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by vic110:

Otis is smart. If he waits then Jameer's agent will ask for more money.

Do it know where he can get less money because of the season he had last year.

If we go over the cap now can we use our mid-level contract?

Hit the nail right on the head!

If Otis can extend jameer now he will get him affordable... Remimember what happend with Deshawn and Darko...hes not going to go through that much with his Boy Jameer...Im sure they will work it out before the season starts. Otis knows Jameers capabilites and what he needs to work on...Otis knows Jameer was being held back by BHill...

Well this is kind of confusing and i will explian myself.

1- Jameer does not have consecutive succesfull seasons.So right now he is an enigma.

2- He should not be a shoot first pass second pg next season because the team we are building needs a passer not a shooter in that possition , so therefore his shooting first skills are not in an imediate need

3- His brake out seasson was very similar to the brake out seasson Arroyo had in Utah a couple of years ago.In that case Arroyo recived the 4 million a year contract. So i would go to a very similar contract with Jameer...he still very young and should prove his consistency to get a substancial contract.

4- To compare Jameer with Luke Ridnour is ridiculous....Luke is a exelent PG , pass first shoot second with great court vision, disipline that can be cochable..please dont forget how Jameer decided he should be the last secont shooter last seasson in a coupple of games..that is a bad indicator that Jameer could be very selfish at critical times.

5- To overpay Jameer at this moment wil come down to hurt us at the end because he ego will think he is that good , and right now he is an average pg in the NBA such like Carlos Arroyo..both need to have great seassons next year.

But what really bothers me and many of you maybe , is that Otis will probably overpays Jameer with no reason what so ever. Maybe Otis is one of the few persons that think Jameer will be a superstar in the NBA or maybe Jameer was so inteligent that he knew his frienship with Dwight will carry him very far within the Magic organization.

To round up mu thought on this matter to overpay this guy is a total mistake, we should wait to see the real Jameer next seasson and then make a good and earned offer.

We over pay Jameer and then will not be able to trade him when we realize that we need a real PG as a starter. This guy is worth no more then 4-5 a year. NO MORE! It's getting to be a joke.

If we lock in Jameer for between $5 m and $7 m a season I think that would be pretty good.

BHill killed him last year. I'd like us to sign him for $6m a season - Otis said somewhere between $24m for 4 seasons and $41m for 5 seasons - that is $6m to $8m.

I would think we could sign him on the high side for $7m - it seems like a lot, but that is what is happening with salaries and we can't keep losing our players.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

One huge difference between Jameer and Ridnour - Jameer can drop 30 on any given night.

'Nuff said.

Give him 7 mil a year and keep everyone (i.e. DWIGHT) happy.

While I do want to keep D12 happy, I don't want 30 out of my point guard, that usually means the rest of the team didn't get involved, and a Big FaT LOSS!!

I want 6 assists at least per night consistantly, and if it's not too much to ask play a little Defense.

Well this tread is interisting.

By one side i guess Otis is doing a fine job. He give Howard all he wants here. Rashard first, Nelson now. Tht

This is ridiculous. I'm a Jameer Nelson fan, but still I don't think he's worth anymore than 3-4 million starting pay coming out of his rookie contract.

He had a poor season which shouldn't stand as proof that we need to extend him. If anything, it should provide proof that we need to wait and see if Jameer actually fits in with what we're doing.

I don't like what Otis is doing AT ALL. He is basically saying, "Here is my plan. We're not going to waver from what I believe will be a contending squad for years to come. To prove just how strongly I feel about my own ability to build a contender (even without a shred of evidence) i am going to commit this team to 250 million dollars worth of salaries to three players."

Who are we, the Yankees????

quote:
If we lock in Jameer for between $5 m and $7 m a season I think that would be pretty good.

BHill killed him last year. I'd like us to sign him for $6m a season - Otis said somewhere between $24m for 4 seasons and $41m for 5 seasons - that is $6m to $8m.

I would

That is way to much for a guy who hasnt proved nothing yet.

I agree with Smack, I think he has potential but still you cant always hand out contracts based on potential, you hand some out based on performance and because of his performance I think he is worth about 2-4 million he definetly has earned luke Ridnour or Kirk Hinirch kinds of dollars

quote:
Originally posted by christophergentry110401:

Looking to secure a future now tied to Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis, the Orlando Magic will attempt to work out a contract extension with point guard Jameer Nelson this weekend.

General Manager Otis Smith will leave today to meet with Steve Mountain, Nelson's agent, in Philadelphia.

Smith thinks the club and Nelson can strike a deal, likely trying to extend Nelson for perhaps four years.

"We'd like to, sure," Smith said. "He's one of our key pieces with Dwight and Rashard. It just has to be at a number we can agree on."

If Nelson doesn't sign before the season, he can become a restricted free agent, although the Magic can match any offer. "We look forward to the meeting and hope we can put something together," Mountain told the Sentinel by phone.

Nelson doesn't have leverage on his side, coming off what Smith called a "subpar" season. But he likely will ask for a contract somewhere between the four-year deal for $24 million given to Seattle point guard Luke Ridnour and the five-year deal for $47.5 million handed to Chicago point guard Kirk Hinrich.

A deal with Nelson will push the Magic over the salary cap, although they could try to trade players to create room.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-mjameer1307jul13,0,7520525.story

LilPenny sees that's outrageous! Not even him combined with Mannikin Pat are worth half that.

All Eyes On Me! while I ballhog and throw the ball away!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

One huge difference between Jameer and Ridnour - Jameer can drop 30 on any given night.

'Nuff said.

Give him 7 mil a year and keep everyone (i.e. DWIGHT) happy.

On any Given night Meer is given a basketball clinic by every other PG his size.

LilPenny doesn't recall Meer ever dropping 30 but if he has, the team lost or barely won. He can drop 20+ on days his 3 ball is going in, since he can't get to the line or get his teammates involved when he's "dropping 30"