3/14/07 Bianchi article

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
Phil Jackson? Funny stuff Bianchi but it very well could be true

True? Okay. Put down the crack pipe. Walk away because the point is blown

Would Phil Jackson have a team that was cavalier about winning without sending a message? Look South. Pat Riley has been known to yank the entire starting lineup and put in bench players when he's disgusted with performance and they have almost all veterans. The laughing has been going on for months. The comparison to a Coach that has actually won championships is pathetic. All good coaches know how to send messages to their players.

So now the big deal is they are laughing on the bench. WHY SHOULDN"T THEY LAUGH?

They are playing a game, getting paid millions of dollars and have NOTHING at stake. I'd be pretty happy too.

Does someone have to write a memo on BHill's forehead that if you want to get the attention of players you motivate them with playing time? Sorry but all this rant about the players laughing is just another demonstration that the Magic have need of a coach. If you create a system that has no reward or punishment for performance or lack of professionalism whose to blame? Give it a break. Jameer laughs? So what? Next game he'll start and get the same minutes and hoist up as many shots as he always does laugh after laugh after laugh.

Start Diener over Jameer just a game or two and Jameer won't be laughing on the bench anymore for the rest of the season. How can an NBA coach not know basic player motivation?

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

I second that!!!!!!!

Well said!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
Phil Jackson? Funny stuff Bianchi but it very well could be true

True? Okay. Put down the crack pipe. Walk away because the point is blown

Would Phil Jackson have a team that was cavalier about winning without sending a message? Look South. Pat Riley has been known to yank the entire starting lineup and put in bench players when he's disgusted with performance and they have almost all veterans. The laughing has been going on for months. The comparison to a Coach that has actually won championships is pathetic. All good coaches know how to send messages to their players.

So now the big deal is they are laughing on the bench. WHY SHOULDN"T THEY LAUGH?

They are playing a game, getting paid millions of dollars and have NOTHING at stake. I'd be pretty happy too.

Does someone have to write a memo on BHill's forehead that if you want to get the attention of players you motivate them with playing time? Sorry but all this rant about the players laughing is just another demonstration that the Magic have need of a coach. If you create a system that has no reward or punishment for performance or lack of professionalism whose to blame? Give it a break. Jameer laughs? So what? Next game he'll start and get the same minutes and hoist up as many shots as he always does laugh after laugh after laugh.

Start Diener over Jameer just a game or two and Jameer won't be laughing on the bench anymore for the rest of the season. How can an NBA coach not know basic player motivation?

This is the best post that I have read in the entire message board. Well said man. 100% TRUE.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

I keep thinking of the Portland Trailblazers when I think about the struggles we've had the past 4 years now. Constantly mediocre, roster in upheaval... you can tell that Magic management is making an honest effort to keep continuity on the team, but if what we have isn't worth keeping together... well.. we have to break it up.

I think one very important point is about Dwight. The kid is a beast. We need him. He's a max player... but only because he's huge. If Dwight wasn't the physically imposing specimen that he is, what would his worth be?

I look at Zach Randolph on the Blazers and I see a better player than Dwight. A player like Randolph has to overcome his physical limitations by improving his skills.

Now that the secret is out on Dwight, so to speak, his physical gifts don't give him the results we need. Dwight is clumsy with the ball and he is constantly out of position. He often gets beat when he boxes out after free throws. He barks at officials after he turns it over and is often late to get back on defense.

What I am trying to make clear is that Dwight is not a natural born leader. His blood does not run that way. Now we have Jameer Nelson and Grant Hill as team captains... a 3rd year point guard and a past-his-prime all-star.

This season we have handed Dwight the keys to the car and he hasn't driven us anywhere in particular. His stats are good - his impact on games often times is not. I worry about giving Dwight a max contract. It is necessary... it is his market value. But I haven't seen much from Dwight that tells me he can outplay and outwork his opponents, I've only seen what is obvious - that Dwight has physical gifts that nobody else in the NBA has.

So go ahead and fire everyone else on the Magic roster. But all we'll be left with is a franchise player that has yet to find his inner "Nemo".

Easy man remember only 21.

quote:
I look at Zach Randolph on the Blazers and I see a better player than Dwight. A player like Randolph has to overcome his physical limitations by improving his skills.

You mean the Zach Randolph that didn't make it back across midcourt to play defense against us when his shot wasn't falling? If you truly think that I don't know how to help you. Randolph is a more polished offensive player and that is all.

I THINK that we bash on mike bianchi to hard some times... this is his third time mentioning the firebrianhill.org website and second time actually typing out the website name... i think he really agrees with us but will not defend either side but by his writing he will lead the reader to where he should go. you dont get to be a writer without usually some schooling in that field and then be a journalist without knowing the whole scope of where wyou want the reader to jump to conclusions.

Are you telling me that he did not know what kind of buzz he was putting out there when he contrasted two oposing point of views with different age brackets?

I think he did imply that we wernt real fans if we were young and only watched games on purpose to make us become more vocal as fans because thats all he can do to create changes.

You cant initiate a presidential or congress change untill someone makes a stance on one side of the fence, distincly revealing the oposite.

i think the movie "The American President" says this sentiment the best...

Lewis Rothschild: People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

Mike Bianchis is the only one doing the talking in the media... i think because of that other people are picking up the call...

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I don't think Brian is doing a great job but I wouldn't put everything on him either. It's an organizational failure meaning everyobody.

You're right on the money. Until the Magic organization decides they want to win a championship, this team is.... well, as Doc would put it - it is what it is.

There were coaches available and we ended up with Brian Hill. Regardless of whether he is a good or bad coach, that was a decision based on the amount of money the other coaches would have required.

quote:
Originally posted by Rico:

Easy man remember only 21.

Exactly. No 21 year old, outside of Lebron, is capable of leading a team and being the centerpiece of a team, yet this is exactly the way he is treated in Orlando.

It's fair to say that Dwight isn't a basketball prodigy. He is a player that has to experience adversity before he can overcome it. There is a select group of players, like Lebron and Wade, who overcome adversity before experiencing the adversity. Dwight does not fall into this category.

This season makes it apparent that it will be at least another few years before Dwight matures into a dominating force on an every-game basis. Until then, we're resting the success of our franchise on a player that doesn't dominate and dictate games every night like other superstars in this league tend to do. For our franchise to be successful, we must have someone else that can dominate and dictate games.

This attitude of "everyone on the team sucks besides Dwight" is unfair. Dwight isn't an amazing player right now. Honest opinion: Dwight only LOOKS like an amazing player. Getting rid of everyone and keeping Dwight solves nothing because Dwight is not a player that carries a team... yet. You have to understand that management and coaches alike on the Magic were hoping that this would be the time for Dwight to man up and lead this team. It has not happened.

To envision him as that player requires some imagination... and a lot of patience for a few more years. Until then we cannot rely on him to get us to the promised land... we will have to wait until next season to see if Dwight is ready to lead a team to postseason play.

quote:
Sorry, this "blame everyone" approach takes the onus away from where it belongs: poor coaching.

Bingo! thats all that its intended for. At the beginning of this season and the end of last season EVERYONE said we had a great young roster and now in under a year they are all has beens? Forget the "premier teams" strawman Bianci tries to float. No one was saying that the Magic would have a great shot at winning a championship this year. No one was expecting rookies and almost rookies to start on premier teams.

We are talking playoff teams IN THE PATHETIC EAST. Yes lots of teams ahead of us now would love Jameer, Darko, JJ or Aziza. Plenty more would love and use Hedo, Grant (albeit not at this years salary, not a starter and healthy) and of course Dwight.

We are not only not winning we aren't developing any of our young players. Jameer is going backwards, Diener gets nada and JJ gets next to nada. Darko gets some significant time only because of injury and even aziza gets the yank more than he should.

Sorry but even a long term strategy to play the youngsters and get a ping pong ball would beat the pants off of losing with veterans who either are in and out of the lineup due to injury or are who (Hedo) we need to move in order to sign a star wingman in the off season anyway (unless you want to give up Darko and a draft pick for nothing).

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

You mean the Zach Randolph that didn't make it back across midcourt to play defense against us when his shot wasn't falling? If you truly think that I don't know how to help you. Randolph is a more polished offensive player and that is all.

Yes, the Zach Randolph that has the Blazers about two games under the Magic's record in the Western Conference on a team with almost zero talent on it. The one that shoots 80% from the free throw line and can make jump shots. That Zach Randolph.

And the same Dwight Howard that sometimes doesn't cross mid court when HIS shot isn't falling.

How is it horribly unfair to hold Dwight accountable for some of the problems with our team? If we plan on paying him over $17 mil a year, how can he not be held accountable?

He absolutely should be held accountable but to say that Randolph, a guy who averages 20-10 and next to nothing in any other catagory is a better player than Dwight is blasphemy to me. Dwight is a frustrated player out there, Randolph is a guy that doesnt care and hasn't since getting his large contract.

Yes Randolph does have his Blazers at nearly the same record as us in a tougher conferance. He isn't doing that alone, Jack has been a solid PG for them all year which more than I can say for what we have had. Roy has been a big help when healthy as well, who has Dwight had to help him out this year? Grant? Maybe when he is out there, who else? No one consistantly.

I'm not saying Dwight is beyond being criticized, he does have a ways to go to be a great player.

Alright, alright, I admit that I'd want to have Dwight on my team more than Randolph by a LONGSHOT. No doubt about it.

I felt like getting the point across in the forum that Dwight isn't a superstar yet and he isn't leaps and bounds better than a player like Randolph yet. It's a mistake by the Magic to lean as heavily on Dwight as, say, a player like Shaq or Duncan in their primes, or a KG right now. Dwight isn't there yet and the Magic shouldn't be treating him like he is. Trouble is that our coaches ARE leaning on Dwight in this manner and the results haven't been stunning.

Things just haven't turned out the way anyone hoped this season and it feels like the Magic got all their eggs into one basket, of which was promptly run over by a semi truck.

Well done Bianchi. Now let's keep the pressure up! Why is it Nelson can joke around, laugh, over dribble, shoot, play no defense? Why does B.Hill not play Reddick and Diener? The excuse that they can't play D is old. No one on the Magic is playing defense. Why does Ariza play spot minutes? Why not play Augustine and see if he can measure up to playing in the NBA?

Watching the Magic on the bench all players except Reddick were laughing during the Bobcat debacle. I pay $8,000 for season tickets and I haven't laughed about the good play of the Magic since the Spurs game, and last time before that was prior to Christmas.

WE have spoiled players, a coach who refuses to change and players that need to play that are rotting on the bench and will eventually leave and become starts elsewhere.