Sign in to follow this  
morlegend

JJ redick shouldn't be starting anytime soon...

quote:
Originally posted by Osi:

Are you sure some of you guys watched basketball before? Some of you guys sound compeletely clueless. Ariza plays Bowen type defense? WTF, since when? Please send a copy of that to my house, my address is: 18 Clairmont Ave. Norwich, CT 06360. Lets not forget that Dudley is 6'7" and has about 40-50 lbs on JJ, thats not fair, especially in a summer league game where he doesnt have any help defense. Since when has Ariza or Darko done shyt in this league? Some of you guys praise them like they are all stars, we'll they arent. You guys are just watching basketball, you arent observing it. JJ probably will be gone after this season so there wont be too many more threads about him, he could start for a number of teams IMO like the Jazz (best fit IMO), Houston, Timberwolves, Cleveland Magic obviously, Golden State if Monta Ellis leaves, Clippers, maybe even the Heat if they let Wade be the playmaker instead of strictly being the scorer, they could be a formidable backcourt.

About the bold. They have still proven MUCH MORE than JJ. It's hypocritical to say that Ariza/Darko hasn't proven anything, then go on about how great JJ is, when he's gotten much less NBA experience then Ariza/Darko.

I never said that Ariza was a shutdown defender. He won't be able to guard the Wade's or Kobe's of the league, there's not many people that can. They will get their points against pretty much anyone. What he will be able to do is not let the role players torch us. I don't know if you remember all the role players that continuously torch us. I don't think JJ would be able to stop them from owning us like they have in the past. I don't want to see a Jannero Pargo(I'm aware he's a PG) putting up 30 points on us again.

Now let's look at the teams that you said.... Utah... They have Deron Williams and Andrei Kirilenko who will be playing alongside him to mask any defensive deficiencies. Houston, they wouldn't start him over Shane Battier. Timberwolves just drafted Corey Brewer and if they get rid of Ricky Davis, he will be playing alongside a good defensive SF in Corey Brewer. They would have to get rid of Ricky Davis in order for him to start though. Cleveland, Hughes is their starting PG, he plays good defense when healthy, so he can help hide deficiencies too. Cleveland is really the only other team that is close to us with lack of perimeter defense, but at least they have Hughes at PG, while Shard will be our best perimeter defender. JJ wouldn't work out well in GS, they are loaded at SG. Clippers, they bring Maggette off the bench at SG, so no he wouldn't start for them. Heat, D Wade is a scorer, he will continue to play SG, so that option is out the window too. So the teams that he would be a good fit are teams that have good defensive minded players around him, like the Jazz.

quote:
Originally posted by sportsrock37:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by morlegend:

i'm sorry, but he just gets killed- even by jared dudley. and when he's not on fire, then he's pretty much useless. I'd really like to see him improve on his defense, but until then, he's definitely not a starter.

The man was double teamed very frequently. He's the number one scoring option on this SL squad. During the season he won't have to take that much pressure. Even while he's off, he's opening the floor for the big men.

It's one half. Let's see how the second goes.

Exactly why I don't want to start him. He would be the FOURTH option on offense. JJ doesn't do enough to impact the game if he's not getting the ball or shooting well. It'd be dumb to start him when he won't get the ball that much with Dwight, Shard, and Jameer getting the majority of the shots. We need role players who can play defense, like Ariza starting. JJ will be the #1 option off the bench more than likely, which is a much better situation for him.

Dosen't Impact the game????

Just by having him on the court It will take a player away from the double teams dwight and rashard see, and I don't know about you but I want jj taking a shot over jameer any day, those percentages are way better.

Now if you put ariza a the 2 position it will allow the defense to play off him, kind of like giving them an extra player on defense, cause no one needs to cover him till after he gets the ball. That's what happened to us all year last year.

Ok, so you want us to sacrifice all of our perimeter defense so that we can have a decoy at SG on the offensive end? That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Jameer is our PG, he will touch the ball more than any other player. I just can't see him changing his score first mentality and happily take a 4th scoring role. Not only that, but if he takes the 4th option on offense role, there is no point of even starting him, because he isn't good at running the point and his defense is disgusting.

I understand the fact that Ariza can't shoot and can't spread the floor, but I thought we got Shard to spread the floor for us. Ariza can crash the offensive glass and get us 2nd chances on offense, while playing **** good defense. He isn't as big of a liability on offense as JJ is on defense, IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

sport and mor went to unc but didnt graduate. we must forgive them for they know in the end jj will be in the lineup. jacklj

Actually I'm a senior at the University of Florida right now. So I am a fan of the back to back national champs.

If we start this lineup....

PG-Jameer

SG-JJ

SF-Ariza

PF-Shard

C-Dwight

we win less games then we did last year, IMO. We lose basically all depth at the wing position(only Bogans/Turk would be on the bench), play our prized FA acquisition out of position(I mean if we plan on playing Shard at PF, why didn't we just resign Darko for cheaper?).

Yea I don't think that we will play Lewis out of position, he is a 3, It looks like even if they bring this Gortat guy up from the D-league that we still are going to need a rough and tumble 4 to use up his fouls, and keep Dwight ouf of foul trouble. Can Ariza play the 2, probably I think he is fast enough on defense, and has long arms, but on offense he can't hit the side of a barn door shooting, I like the guy but that will give the other team another defender to double team with, kind of like a 6th man out on the court. Ariza has been used effectivly at the 4 spot when we got out and out ran teams, (note the last Utah game of the season) but I think we need someone with more size there, most of the time. If Ariza is crashing the boards from the 2 position though, who will get back on defense to keep the other team from having numbers?? I thought that positions job was to get back in position, and stop the ball, and not to step in, or follow shots.

Lastly while I don't think it is a bad idea to have ariza play, or maybe start the 2 position sometimes, ie, when we play the Cavs, put him on LBJ, I don't think it is wise to constantly start him there.

Why do you think that jj does a bad job on defense, he really isn't that slow, in fact I wouldn't call him slow at all, he never stops running.

He has had difficulty getting around screens, and I don't know, because I am not out on the court to hear, so I can't tell if he is communicating for the pick-up, and help or not.

Here is the thing about defense, and most great defensive players will agree to this. Defense is played by a team, and one great defender on a team sometimes is worse than a team with mediocre, defenders who play together.

JJ is not the fastest player in the league, but look at tony parker, is he a great defender, not singularly, and that is a bad example cause the spurs are a team oriented defensive team. Leandro Barbosa, may be faster though, and is very rarely accused of playing any defense at all.

O.K. I've said my piece, In my opinion JJ isn't a liability on D, he just isn't flashy.

sport jj will prove his merit on the floor and congrats on school. winning is not about who is the best athlete but a combination of many things. i hope you learn this as you go through life. jacjlj

quote:

sport jj will prove his merit on the floor and congrats on school. winning is not about who is the best athlete but a combination of many things. i hope you learn this as you go through life. jacjlj

bingo! basketball is a finesse and intellectual sport. athleticism will only take you so far.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i'm sorry, but he just gets killed- even by jared dudley. and when he's not on fire, then he's pretty much useless. I'd really like to see him improve on his defense, but until then, he's definitely not a starter.

The man was double teamed very frequently. He's the number one scoring option on this SL squad. During the season he won't have to take that much pressure. Even while he's off, he's opening the floor for the big men.

Exactly why I don't want to start him. He would be the FOURTH option on offense. JJ doesn't do enough to impact the game if he's not getting the ball or shooting well. It'd be dumb to start him when he won't get the ball that much with Dwight, Shard, and Jameer getting the majority of the shots. We need role players who can play defense, like Ariza starting. JJ will be the #1 option off the bench more than likely, which is a much better situation for him.

Just by having him on the court It will take a player away from the double teams dwight and rashard see, and I don't know about you but I want jj taking a shot over jameer any day, those percentages are way better.

Now if you put ariza a the 2 position it will allow the defense to play off him, kind of like giving them an extra player on defense, cause no one needs to cover him till after he gets the ball. That's what happened to us all year last year.

Ok, so you want us to sacrifice all of our perimeter defense so that we can have a decoy at SG on the offensive end? That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Jameer is our PG, he will touch the ball more than any other player. I just can't see him changing his score first mentality and happily take a 4th scoring role. Not only that, but if he takes the 4th option on offense role, there is no point of even starting him, because he isn't good at running the point and his defense is disgusting.

I understand the fact that Ariza can't shoot and can't spread the floor, but I thought we got Shard to spread the floor for us. Ariza can crash the offensive glass and get us 2nd chances on offense, while playing **** good defense. He isn't as big of a liability on offense as JJ is on defense, IMO.

quote:

sport and mor went to unc but didnt graduate. we must forgive them for they know in the end jj will be in the lineup. jacklj

Actually I'm a senior at the University of Florida right now. So I am a fan of the back to back national champs.

PG-Jameer

SG-JJ

SF-Ariza

PF-Shard

C-Dwight

we win less games then we did last year, IMO. We lose basically all depth at the wing position(only Bogans/Turk would be on the bench), play our prized FA acquisition out of position(I mean if we plan on playing Shard at PF, why didn't we just resign Darko for cheaper?).

Yea I don't think that we will play Lewis out of position, he is a 3, It looks like even if they bring this Gortat guy up from the D-league that we still are going to need a rough and tumble 4 to use up his fouls, and keep Dwight ouf of foul trouble. Can Ariza play the 2, probably I think he is fast enough on defense, and has long arms, but on offense he can't hit the side of a barn door shooting, I like the guy but that will give the other team another defender to double team with, kind of like a 6th man out on the court. Ariza has been used effectivly at the 4 spot when we got out and out ran teams, (note the last Utah game of the season) but I think we need someone with more size there, most of the time. If Ariza is crashing the boards from the 2 position though, who will get back on defense to keep the other team from having numbers?? I thought that positions job was to get back in position, and stop the ball, and not to step in, or follow shots.

Lastly while I don't think it is a bad idea to have ariza play, or maybe start the 2 position sometimes, ie, when we play the Cavs, put him on LBJ, I don't think it is wise to constantly start him there.

Why do you think that jj does a bad job on defense, he really isn't that slow, in fact I wouldn't call him slow at all, he never stops running.

He has had difficulty getting around screens, and I don't know, because I am not out on the court to hear, so I can't tell if he is communicating for the pick-up, and help or not.

Here is the thing about defense, and most great defensive players will agree to this. Defense is played by a team, and one great defender on a team sometimes is worse than a team with mediocre, defenders who play together.

JJ is not the fastest player in the league, but look at tony parker, is he a great defender, not singularly, and that is a bad example cause the spurs are a team oriented defensive team. Leandro Barbosa, may be faster though, and is very rarely accused of playing any defense at all.

O.K. I've said my piece, In my opinion JJ isn't a liability on D, he just isn't flashy.

Yeah I agree with most of what you say regarding team defense. I don't think he's that big of a defensive liability by himself, but how good of team defense can you have when you start Jameer and Shard alongside him? You need 1 guy on the wing that can play above average defense. Jameer, JJ, and Shard have not proven that they can play above average defense, while Ariza has.

I'm also concerned about the not spreading the floor and Ariza being a liability on offense, but with Jameer and Shard and likely Tony Battie(who can hit that mid range shot) who can sort of spread the floor and take pressure off of him. I don't mind having 1 offensive liability if he will improve the team defense, which he certainly would. We don't need 4 scorers on the court starting on offense, especially when 3 of them are below average defensively.(Jameer/JJ/Shard)It's not like we aren't going to have people who can score on the floor.

If we were starting Dooling at PG and Ariza at SF, 2 guys who can't score and play great defense, I'd probably be the first person hoping JJ starts. I don't want to add a little more offense(when we should have enough on the court to begin with) and sacrifice defense all together.

quote:

I sure hope he does, because he'll give us an added dimension on offense that will certainly help Shard/Dwight out a lot.

I know it's not about being the best athlete. Winning on the NBA level you have to have a mix of GREAT team defense and scorers on the court. We already have 3 guys who will be starting that are scorers.

I'll trust SVG, if he wants to start JJ then so be it. As of what I have seen so far, I would rather have Ariza starting at SG(or Dooling at absolute worst) to give us a mix of offense and defense.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

PG-Jameer

SG-JJ

SF-Ariza

PF-Shard

C-Dwight

Yeah I agree with most of what you say regarding team defense. I don't think he's that big of a defensive liability by himself, but how good of team defense can you have when you start Jameer and Shard alongside him? You need 1 guy on the wing that can play above average defense. Jameer, JJ, and Shard have not proven that they can play above average defense, while Ariza has.

I'm also concerned about the not spreading the floor and Ariza being a liability on offense, but with Jameer and Shard and likely Tony Battie(who can hit that mid range shot) who can sort of spread the floor and take pressure off of him. I don't mind having 1 offensive liability if he will improve the team defense, which he certainly would. We don't need 4 scorers on the court starting on offense, especially when 3 of them are below average defensively.(Jameer/JJ/Shard)It's not like we aren't going to have people who can score on the floor.

If we were starting Dooling at PG and Ariza at SF, 2 guys who can't score and play great defense, I'd probably be the first person hoping JJ starts. I don't want to add a little more offense(when we should have enough on the court to begin with) and sacrifice defense all together.

quote:

I sure hope he does, because he'll give us an added dimension on offense that will certainly help Shard/Dwight out a lot.

I know it's not about being the best athlete. Winning on the NBA level you have to have a mix of GREAT team defense and scorers on the court. We already have 3 guys who will be starting that are scorers.

I'll trust SVG, if he wants to start JJ then so be it. As of what I have seen so far, I would rather have Ariza starting at SG(or Dooling at absolute worst) to give us a mix of offense and defense.

Rashard will be exciting to watch on d. expect him to get a record number of blocks off weak side help when dwight chases them right to him, I really think that SVG is a great defensive coach. so if jj does start SVG will make the right decision, if he dosen't then SVG made the right decision, but he will get a fair shake this time around.