Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Seattle agrees to S&T {ESPN}

So Orlando sends a 2nd round pick and uses all it's cap space on Rashard without anything in return?

That sounds a bit unfair to me, surely players were involved to make this happen or it's a bad deal for Orlando but a great deal for Rashard and a good deal for Seattle.

The deal reads like this to me:

Otis promised Rashard a 6th year.

Seattle wanted nothing to do with our expiring contracts.

In the end, too accomodate Rashard's 6th year, Seattle agreed to the simple compensation of a 2nd round pick.

Basically, it's just like we signed Rashard outright, but now we're locked into a 6th year at incredible sums of money.

I don't know if this is an official report, but even if we did only trade 2nd rounders for Lewis, we'd be in a good position.

- we'd still have our assets to make another trade for a SG. Maggette anyone?

- we can still sign Darko without it counting against our cap since we still hold his bird rights. Meaning we have more options with Darko since we can now offer him more money; can trade his asssss to any team and it won't affect our cap.

quote:
Originally posted by SladeRider:

So Orlando sends a 2nd round pick and uses all it's cap space on Rashard without anything in return?

That sounds a bit unfair to me, surely players were involved to make this happen or it's a bad deal for Orlando but a great deal for Rashard and a good deal for Seattle.

are you kidding me? how is this good for seattle? they get almost nothing for lewis (not even expiring contracts). and we can still package those expiring contracts to another team . this is a horrible deal for seattle, good deal for orlando fans (if he's playing well, we'll want him for that 6th year), and an extremely good deal for lewis.

quote:
Originally posted by morlegend:

quote:

are you kidding me? how is this good for seattle? they get almost nothing for lewis (not even expiring contracts). and we can still package those expiring contracts to another team . this is a horrible deal for seattle, good deal for orlando fans (if he's playing well, we'll want him for that 6th year), and an extremely good deal for lewis.

They get a 2nd round pick without taking any salary on whatsoever so it's atleast useful to them, it didn't matter what happened with Rashard, he was gone and they would of got nothing but without taking any salary on, it helps them out alot more then it does Orlando due to not getting any cap space in return.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

I don't know if this is an official report, but even if we did only trade 2nd rounders for Lewis, we'd be in a good position.

- we'd still have our assets to make another trade for a SG. Maggette anyone?

- we can still sign Darko without it counting against our cap since we still hold his bird rights. Meaning we have more options with Darko since we can now offer him more money; can trade his asssss to any team and it won't affect our cap.

Can't Darko refuse our offer of more money if he wants to stick it to us?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by morlegend:

quote:

They get a 2nd round pick without taking any salary on whatsoever so it's atleast useful to them, it didn't matter what happened with Rashard, he was gone and they would of got nothing but without taking any salary on, it helps them out alot more then it does Orlando due to not getting any cap space in return.

are you serious? they would've gotten a lot of cap space for next year. that's much better than the 2nd rounder. i agree that it's better than not getting anything, but they should've asked much more (in expiring contracts).

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

Can't Darko refuse our offer of more money if he wants to stick it to us?

Yeah.

The Sonics are idiots. All they want in return for Rashard is a freakin 2nd round draft pick? What the hell was wrong with expiring contracts? It's not like Dooling and Arroyo weren't going to contribute to the team this season. They're both skilled players who would have definitely helped the young Sonics. I don't understand why Seattle would reject the chance to land a good FA with the cap room created due to our expiring contracts that we gave to them.

I copied this from the CBA, I can see where there are different reports in the actual number for how much the contract is worth. It doesnt really say one way or the other if the raises are compounded or a set sum

B. Annual Increases and Decreases

The permissible year-to-year increases in multi-year player contracts are as follows:

Bird and Early Bird Contracts may increase by up to 10.5% of year-one salary (down from 12.5%).

Other contracts may increase by up to 8% of year-one salary (down from 10%).