Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

Sunday edition of CotM: Who is DoM hating now?

Just throwing this out there for discussion...what about a rule limiting teams to only one max contract at any one time? Sure, it might not have prevented the Heat trio from forming, since technically, they all took less; but it would prevent LA from loading up, as well as NY.

While I think they would simply take a little less in free agency to play in certain places, it would be kind of interesting to see other teams lock guys into max contracts with the added benefit of knowing they can't be traded to certain places under that contract, though at the same time, it would also handcuff them to an extent. Imagine trying to trade a disgruntled guy like Dwight when his list of teams is further narrowed by the fact that they likely already have a max guy on the roster.

Removing the salary cap wouldn't guarantee that GMs still couldn't cripple teams. The Mets, Marlins, and Cubs will tell you that. Going in the direction of baseball though, Adam Silver said in the press conference before the All Star Game that the NBA plans to expand the NBDL (obviously not all at once but over time) to 30 teams, and have one D-League team exclusively to each NBA team. Once that happens, everyone would have a real farm system to work with, it might help (I think it will at least).

And continuing in the direction of baseball, the NCAA should apply the same rules to basketball as they do to baseball. Which is, you either enter the draft out of high school, or you're in college for three years. That or up the current mandatory one year to two years, I'm cool either way. Making college basketball better would in turn make the NBA better.

Imagine a system like this:

Roster Spot Tiers:

1 - 15-20 Mill per year starting salary - Top tier - true max contract guys

2 - 10-15 Mill per year starting salary - High value third to fourth option guys

3 - 5-10 Mill per year starting salary - SolidRoleplayer/6th man type of players

4 - 1-5 Mill per year - Vet minimum - Lowest contract level for veteran players

5 - Rookie Contracts - Based on round/pick level

Available contract spots per tier (per team):

5 - Unlimited

4 - 6

3 - 6

2 - 4

1 - 0 (that's right, ZERO)

You can convert two tier 3 contract spots into a single tier 2 contract spot. You can convert three tier 2 contract spots into a tier 1 contract spot. Each time you convert spots into a higher spot, you gain one additional tier 4 roster spot.

Additionally, each team can add in a portion of league wide profit sharing as incentive to each contract. Each team gets 1% to use as they see fit (that's 30% league profits being fed back to the players).

Teams do not set the starting contract amounts, that is determined based on the player's time in the league. Annual raises from season to season are based on time spent on that particular team (or contract should a player be traded).

I haven't really fleshed it out yet, in terms of roster slot numbers etc. but that's a start. It would also require a re-working of the current profit sharing as well.

You work this a little bit more, maybe add some corn beef, and baby, you got a stew going!

The best part about this is that only the max contract guys, and their agents, would fight this. The bulk of the players would realize that this benefits the majority.

You might consider tweaking the tier 1 parameters just a bit. Maybe instead of no tier 1 players (or as in my suggestion, only 1 max contract), you could have only one player who fits into the tier 1 salary range, but maybe that range fluctuates based on that team's total salary. Basically, I'm thinking of a situation where you provide incentive to a team to spend money on players in other tiers so that they have the highest possible money to spend on their tier 1 guy. This might help satisfy the all-star players and their agents, while still allowing the smaller-market teams to compete, since the big markets would still only have one max guy.

Also, addressing your earlier comment about hamstringing teams who cannot trade their max contract guy to teams with max contract guys. It MIGHT mean we see more actual "all-star for all-star" trades instead of these trades that so clearly help only one contending team.

I thought, maybe instead of, or in addition to the profit sharing, you could allow a signing bonus based on tier, time in service, time on the team etc. and allow that bonus to ramp up pretty decently for tier 1 contracts, or allow teams to add them in as a sort of balloon payment at the end, only valid for finishing out your contract with the team you signed, or if you were traded at their request, not yours. Of course that bit gets tricky.

Removing the salary cap wouldn't guarantee that GMs still couldn't cripple teams. The Mets, Marlins, and Cubs will tell you that. Going in the direction of baseball though, Adam Silver said in the press conference before the All Star Game that the NBA plans to expand the NBDL (obviously not all at once but over time) to 30 teams, and have one D-League team exclusively to each NBA team. Once that happens, everyone would have a real farm system to work with, it might help (I think it will at least).

And continuing in the direction of baseball, the NCAA should apply the same rules to basketball as they do to baseball. Which is, you either enter the draft out of high school, or you're in college for three years. That or up the current mandatory one year to two years, I'm cool either way. Making college basketball better would in turn make the NBA better.

This would be interesting... If you tried out after high school and entered the draft, but were not selected would that rule you ineligable for the NCAA though? I think it should not except that they would have had interaction with professionals. If they could implement that though and allow them to join the NCAA and make it a minimum 2 year commitment. I think that would shot back at the critics who say its unfair to mandate 1 year of college.

Its a business and if its fair that company requires a 4 year degree then it surely makes sense the business of the NBA can implement a 2 year college education if not drafted out of high school. Whether that works is another matter.

Captain you Tier system is pretty good. Its not very often I come across what seems to me to be a new idea... i wish you had some way to see that actually happen because i think its got some great potential.

It all depends on whether you have an agent or not. There are college players that were drafted out of high school that chose college instead. Pat White, former QB of WVU was drafted by the Angels out of high school and then drafted by the Angels again after his junior year. Chose to play college football both times.

As long as you don't hire an agent, you're good. Say Player X commits to North Carolina. Then the draft comes along and he's selected by the Chicago Bulls at 25. He can choose from that point what he wants to do. If he chooses college, then the Bulls simply lost their draft pick, happens in baseball all the time (granted in baseball you have 50 something picks).

I would assume that once the D-League is finished expanding to 30 teams, the NBA Draft from that point on would have three, possibly four rounds. Remember, you wouldn't be drafting for just one team anymore.

It would def. would help. Down here in Aus they have a sort of similar system to that for the AFL (Australian Rules Football). It is a great system.

I am completely split on the NCAA thing you wrote though. I would love to see better College ball and more consistency for teams in terms of players...... but then the NBA has some of the great players for less time.