Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Smack Confidential 2:

SmackDaddy, don't cop an attitude with me, don't insinuate you should apologize to me b/c I'm not intelligent enough to respect information that came from the league office. Not for a minute have I disputed that report. I'm disputing your assumptions about stuff, like saying renouncing a player and removing a qualifying offer are the same thing. Find me literature that asserts that. And quote it and fricken smash my face in it, until then, slow your roll.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

ok ok ok belive whatever you want i simply cant argue over this anymore. i need a aspirin

I'm afraid we're fighting a losing battle. It's a losing battle because the opposition doesn't even know what they're fighting for. The eqivalent of brainwashed carbombers.

A war without a purpose.

GTFO with your attitude. Quit insinuating that you're more intelligent than me, or anyone else on this board. I'm not frickin insulting you, am I? Or if you're so easily insulted that challenging your assertions is tantamount to an "insult" then whatever, you're too difficult.

And yes I'm using my vocabulary to it's fullest extent in an effort to sound smarter-than-thou. I'd even append a smiley face at the end of this, to indidcate that I'm joking about my vocabulary and such, but I already know you're going to come back with more insults, so w/e.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

SmackDaddy, don't cop an attitude with me, don't insinuate you should apologize to me b/c I'm not intelligent enough to respect information that came from the league office. Not for a minute have I disputed that report. I'm disputing your assumptions about stuff, like saying renouncing a player and removing a qualifying offer are the same thing. Find me literature that asserts that. And quote it and fricken smash my face in it, until then, slow your roll.

This is directly from the NBAPA website of the CBA...

(2) A Team cannot renounce any player to whom the Team has made a Qualifying Offer until such time as the Qualifying Offer is no longer in effect.

By pulling the qualifying offer they renounced him.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:

(2) A Team cannot renounce any player to whom the Team has made a Qualifying Offer until such time as the Qualifying Offer is no longer in effect.

That quote indicates that a team cannot renounce a player until the qualifying offer is no longer in effect. It doesn't read that, since we removed the offer, he is now renounced. It reads that, by removing the offer, we now have the ability to renounce him.

In more direct terms:

(2) "A Team cannot renounce any player to whom the Team has made a Qualifying Offer"

Read: If a team makes a qualifying offer, that team cannot renounce the player

"until such time as the Qualifying Offer is no longer in effect."

Read: Until the qualifying offer is removed.

That's pretty interesting regardless, a tidbit I wasn't aware of. Removing the qualifying offer is the first step we've taken towards renouncing Darko.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

2) If Darko decides to turn down our offer (even if it is a sign and trade) he will be forfeiting 2.5 million total dollars during the life of a 5 year contract. Our Bird rights define our ability to provide an unrestricted free agent of OURS with a 10.5% annual pay increase while signing with another team would only provide an 8% annual pay increase.

Bingo! thats why trying to point out the obvious to you guys is a losing proposition. The situation presents itself with exactly that scenario. The only representative that we have for Darko is saying he's not going to resign and if he doesn't then there is no compensation as Nathan so assured. No one has been totally right on this.

2.5 over five years (which assumes our offer will be equal or higher) doesn't mean squat to someone who is making millions anyway and who you have offended by withdrawing your offer TWICE. He can find himself with greater value and opportunity somewhere he is wanted. Now I will grant you that I originally thought the agent was playing along before but as of tonight with the clear animosity I think thats a stretch . So if it holds we do lose Darko and having bird rights doesn't do a thing to give us compensation.

quote:

quote:

how'd you get that? all i got is that you have to pull the qualifying offer before you renounce the player. i actually think "militarymagic" is right on this one.

By the way, I will argue with anyone here for the rest of the night about these matters. I enjoy arguing, heck, I even enjoy making a stand against SmackDaddy for making veiled insults at me. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be doing it!

It's all in good spirit, more or less, b/c it's all about the Magic. If I didn't have a soft spot in my heart by growing up a Magic fan and loving players like Donald Royal and Jerry Reynolds, then things would be a bit different hehe.

quote:
Originally posted by morlegend:

quote:

quote:

how'd you get that? all i got is that you have to pull the qualifying offer before you renounce the player. i actually think "militarymagic" is right on this one.

I assumed they work hand in hand. Why would you pull the qualifying offer and not renounce a player. If the Magic just remove the qualifying offer his cap hold still exists does it not. Why would one step not immediately lead to the next.

quote:

Quit insinuating that you're more intelligent than me, or anyone else on this board.

Rest assured Military Comparing poster here to brainwashed carbombers doesn't give any brownie points for intelligence to anyone. Not to worry.

Ok, I've thought about it and think I have discovered a more diplomatic resolution. Sorry if you thought I was insulting you. Just exhausted from explaining the same thing for the last 13 hours. Not to mention, reading over the Salary Cap rules and interpreting them properly is about as easy as translating the Lost Sea Scrolls.

No matter if we call it renouncing or removing a qualifying offer, I'm sure we can all agree that Otis has done an admirable job today by carefully calculating his moves.

Regardless of how Darko's agent feels, Otis has ensured we will land our scoring threat. By doing it in the manner he did, he has reduced Seattle's negotiating leverage that creates a sign and trade scenario that could potentially dump our undesirable, expirig contracts to a team that favors them.

This would give us enough cap room to pursue another impact player through free agency (notice that G Wallace is one of the few remaining names that hasn't been mentioned in reports elsewhere).

Once this is completed, we can turn our attention to either signing Darko to an extension or a sign and trade that brings in compensation.

A while back Otis said that he "wanted it all" this Summer. Well, from what I've seen the last 3 days, that very well could come true, and it couldn't have possibly happened had he went about it any other way.

It is not Mr. Smith's job to make Darko's agent happy, it is his job to put the best team he can out on the court for us. Looks to me like he is doing his job, pretty well, maybe even very well, we will see soon.

oh yea and cornstein is gay, darko should fire him, he blows big donkey balls.

mess with Mr. Smith you mess with me!!!