Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

Official 2024 Playoffs Game Thread: Round 1 - Game 1 Saturday April 20th, Cavs vs Magic

Anyone else notice how hesitant a lot of our guys are to shoot the three when they’re wide open? They do this odd pump fake, which allows the defender to close on them, and then they try and pass it. It drives me crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Anyone else notice how hesitant a lot of our guys are to shoot the three when they’re wide open? They do this odd pump fake, which allows the defender to close on them, and then they try and pass it. It drives me crazy. 

They been doing that the whole season. It drives me crazy.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Y'all wanting Gary Harris out are insane. For who? There are two sides of the ball and nobody on that bench can guard Donovan Mitchell.

Cole?       MpdE0L.png

This series is winnable even with an anemic offense, for the playoffs becomes a half-court game and defense becomes significant. Playoffs is also about making adjustments. Cleveland is starting 3 guards (Garland, Mitchell and Strus, who is a good shooter), but Franz neutralized him. Yet, Cleveland's height is a problem, especially when Cole came in and Mobley easily scored on him after some unfortunate switches on defense, extending their lead in the lst half. However, I'd like to see an adjustment to negate both Mobley and Allen initially with Isaac and Bitadze, respectively, with Franz playing the 2 matching up with Mitchell, who is a load. JI can handle Mobley and Allen can't shoot, but good around the basket for offensive rebounding and some shot-blocking that Bitadze can offset. Suggs can stay with Garland, provided he plays under control, which is asking a lot. Yet, that would leave Strus exposed with Banchero, who is not a good-on ball defender, which could be exploited if Strus gets open for good looks. You'd have to hope Banchero adjusts, which I have doubts. Yet, you take the risk and focus on containing Mitchell, who I believe Franz can do, providing some effective defense on him. Wendell, Harris, Mo and Markelle can provide adequate relief and support for the starters and we'll see how this unfolds as the series progresses. Lastly, take the ball out of the hands of Banchero, for he makes a ton of turnovers (9 today) and allow Franz to run the offense with Fultz in moments, a disappointment but he can run the offense in relief. 

Cleveland has a nice bench with Levert, Okoro, Niang and Merrill, but the Magic reserves Harris, Kelle and Wendell and their team defensive concept can negate their bench, for Levert and Okoro are aggressive shooters, who love to drive, but the Magic's team defensive concept can negate that, provided that they rotate accordingly and force them to take tough shots. I have Cleveland winning the series, nevertheless, mainly because of Mitchell, who is their "go to" player when they need a bucket, which the Magic does not have. Yet, this remains winnable if the defensive adjustments are made, Mitchell can be contained to a point by Franz and negate both Mobley and Allen with JI and Bitadze, the Magic make their "free throws", Suggs plays with some control and they maintain their defensive focus, which is more than decent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

A wrap? irs 1 game...

Go support another team

Ease up, Jay. That's not nice. We've all said things throughout this game that may have rubbed someone else the wrong way, such as: calling a player trash or get rid of a certain  player(s). But we still love and root for the Magic. Ease up, okay?  3Dt3zy.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rex5 said:

. . . I'd like to see an adjustment to negate both Mobley and Allen initially with Isaac and Bitadze, respectively, with Franz playing the 2 matching up with Mitchell, who is a load. JI can handle Mobley and Allen can't shoot, but good around the basket for offensive rebounding and some shot-blocking that Bitadze can offset. 

...Mitchell can be contained to a point by Franz and negate both Mobley and Allen with JI and Bitadze, the Magic make their "free throws", Suggs plays with some control and they maintain their defensive focus, which is more than decent. 

I agree. I posted the same sentiment early in the game when the Cavs were using their height as an advantage over the smaller Magic. I said use Goga at center as the rim protector and put JI on Mobley to contain or prevent his 3 pt scoring on the perimeter.

I love that the Magic held the Cavs below 100 pts.  And I don't consider a 14 pt. loss as a blowout. So if the Magic can: 

Make their free throws

Play faster. Don't walk the ball up the court

Move  the ball to find the open man

Stop playing iso (one on one)

Stop the turnovers. Take care of the ball.

Keep the same defensive intensity (as in Game 1)

. . .We can make this a  6 or 7 game series and win it.

GO MAGIC!!!!

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

The guards have killed us tonight. Combined 3-29. Harris, Fultz, Cole combined 0-16. We can’t win like that.

Only 11 turnovers, Paolo has freakin 8 of em lol

As others have said repeatedly, guard play was the difference today.  We need a quick point guard to help break down the defense, and some better more consistent three point shooting.  With either one I think we have a solid chance.  With neither it’s tough.  

This was evident to most of us at the trading deadline.  

2 hours ago, Time2GetSerious said:

Hence the need for a solid point guard for next season. And some knock down shooters. 

Yes, exactly.  I’m out of up votes, unfortunately.  We’re asking Franz and Paulo to do things they’re not suited for.  We need more quickness in our playmakers.  

2 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I agree. Just like Gary Payton of the Warriors who is a bench player and a very good defender.

Suggs is, for now, being used as the starting point guard, which he is not.

Very good point.  He is great in certain areas but not as a point guard.  

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Yep.  They’re thinking too hard about every shot they take; well, except for Cole Anthony :)