Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Everyone who got on me for my Carrington opinion will love this one: 

Every single freshman Kentucky prospect not named Sheppard, Dillingham or Edwards should both go back to school AND transfer. (I'm looking hard at you DJ Wagner). 

9 hours ago, Shine88 said:

nah, I'm not comparing him to prime ingles, i'm talking Ingles from the past 2 years.

Ingles from the past 2 years is a better shooter than Scheierman. 

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Ingles from the past 2 years is a better shooter than Scheierman. 

But Ingles benefited by playing off guys like Antetokounmpo Butler, Adebayo, and Paolo, too. Scheierman is playing a different role at Creighton. He's the primary guy on a team with bad spacing due to poor shooting. He shot well over 40% (47% in 2021-2022) from three in back to back season at NDSU. But it's not just the shooting, it's also his ability to create for other, too. The guy is a triple-double threat on any given night at the college level. He's just playing on a team that can't shoot. 

19 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

But Ingles benefited by playing off guys like Antetokounmpo Butler, Adebayo, and Paolo, too. Scheierman is playing a different role at Creighton. He's the primary guy on a team with bad spacing due to poor shooting. He shot well over 40% (47% in 2021-2022) from three in back to back season at NDSU. But it's not just the shooting, it's also his ability to create for other, too. The guy is a triple-double threat on any given night at the college level. He's just playing on a team that can't shoot. 

Joe Ingles has never played for Miami. 

Also, how much Creighton have you watched?

Because Baylor Scheierman is neither the primary option nor do they have bad spacing. Creighton are a top 20 offense in the country largely because of how well spaced they are, they have several great shooters including Mason (son of Mike) Miller, Francisco Farabello, Steven Ashworth is a pretty great shooter at the college level, Trey Alexander (their actual primary option though I admit it's kind of 1a/1b rather than 1/2) is having a down year from 3 but teams still close out on him. Even their big Kalkbrenner hits a 3 now and again and at least steps out to run DHO etc and isn't just clogging the paint on every possession.

I was maybe a bit harsh to say Scheierman is only a solid shooter he's a very good shooter. I just think it's lofty to compare him to someone like Joe who we've seen knock down over 40% from NBA 3 for a decade. But I hope I'm wrong because I really like him as a prospect. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Joe Ingles has never played for Miami. 

Also, how much Creighton have you watched?

Because Baylor Scheierman is neither the primary option nor do they have bad spacing. Creighton are a top 20 offense in the country largely because of how well spaced they are, they have several great shooters including Mason (son of Mike) Miller, Francisco Farabello, Steven Ashworth is a pretty great shooter at the college level, Trey Alexander (their actual primary option though I admit it's kind of 1a/1b rather than 1/2) is having a down year from 3 but teams still close out on him. Even their big Kalkbrenner hits a 3 now and again and at least steps out to run DHO etc and isn't just clogging the paint on every possession.

I was maybe a bit harsh to say Scheierman is only a solid shooter he's a very good shooter. I just think it's lofty to compare him to someone like Joe who we've seen knock down over 40% from NBA 3 for a decade. But I hope I'm wrong because I really like him as a prospect. 

It's not that lofty of a comp when you take into consideration that I'm talking about Ingles as of today. The 16-18 mins Ingles. The poor man's version of the Utah Jazz Ingles.  I'm not talking about prime Joe Ingles. If he was that guy, he'd be a top 10 pick in this class.

As far as Creighton, I watched a lot of Big East games and they been very boom or bust all season based on their 3pt shooting. The spacing isn't bad, it's just Ashworth hasn't been the guy they expected. The level up in competition has affected his play. You rarely know if he's out there when they play the top teams in the conference. Which is why more ball handling responsibility have been placed on Trey and Baylor. I believe that's why Trey is having a down year shooting the 3. He didn't have to worry about that last year with Nembhard. He just had to focus on scoring. 

Also, I believe Scheierman is the guy on that team. The coaches in the Big East do as well, which is why they voted him 1st Team All Big East. He also was in the running for BIg East POY. I think Trey is the better pro prospect, though.

trying to project which prospect is available when we are on the clock.. 

if these players were to be available, who would y’all draft:

- J. McCain

- Tristan Da Silva

- Collier

- Klintman

- T. Smith

- Ware

- Missi

- R. Dunn

id probably draft McCain.. I actually think he should be. top 10 pick, i feel he’s kinda under the radar.. So if McCain is not available, i’d draft Tristan Da Silva out of those players

49 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Missi

Tristan Da Silva

Collier

T. Smith

R. Dunn

Klintman

J. McCain

Ware

That order I think. 

Reasoning: I'm super high on Missi, think he's a lottery talent. TDS is my guy after him. Collier is just a pure upside swing, it's a terrible fit for us though I could be talked to putting him down near the bottom to be honest. Smith, Dunn and Klintman are in a group whereby I could rearrange them on a different day. Smith is long, young and has shown real potential as a shooter so he swings it. Dunn is a special defensive player. Klintman is kind of less exciting than either. 

McCain im just not super high on picking another small-ish guard for us even though he's a good prospect. 

Ware I'm not huge on the motor and he had some really unimpressive outings against NBA sized bigs. 

11 hours ago, Shine88 said:

It's not that lofty of a comp when you take into consideration that I'm talking about Ingles as of today. The 16-18 mins Ingles. The poor man's version of the Utah Jazz Ingles.  I'm not talking about prime Joe Ingles. If he was that guy, he'd be a top 10 pick in this class.

As far as Creighton, I watched a lot of Big East games and they been very boom or bust all season based on their 3pt shooting. The spacing isn't bad, it's just Ashworth hasn't been the guy they expected. The level up in competition has affected his play. You rarely know if he's out there when they play the top teams in the conference. Which is why more ball handling responsibility have been placed on Trey and Baylor. I believe that's why Trey is having a down year shooting the 3. He didn't have to worry about that last year with Nembhard. He just had to focus on scoring. 

Also, I believe Scheierman is the guy on that team. The coaches in the Big East do as well, which is why they voted him 1st Team All Big East. He also was in the running for BIg East POY. I think Trey is the better pro prospect, though.

This is a great post. If my +1 button wasn't broken I'd upvote it. I still kind of disagree with the idea of comparing a rookie to specifically the 34+ year old version of Joe Ingles, the gap in bball IQ is massive but i get what you're trying to to say. 

You're right they haven't got the shooting they hoped for from Ashworth but I think teams still guard him out there because when he gets hot he can really hurt you (that UCONN game he cooked in the first half). And I agree that the more responsibility Trey has taken on as a ball handler has affected his scoring. 

I think the first option talk is just semantics honestly, for me a first option is "takes the most shots, has the ball the most" but it feels like you just mean "is the best player" which I agree Baylor was this season. At the start of the season I'd have agreed that Trey was the better prospect but now I'm starting to feel like the fact Baylor has a clearer path to an NBA role (off-ball shooter) is in his favour. The bar for being a ball handling guard in the NBA is super high, not sure if Trey can get there, and if he can't he'll need to be a great shooter to stick.

15 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

That order I think. 

Reasoning: I'm super high on Missi, think he's a lottery talent. TDS is my guy after him. Collier is just a pure upside swing, it's a terrible fit for us though I could be talked to putting him down near the bottom to be honest. Smith, Dunn and Klintman are in a group whereby I could rearrange them on a different day. Smith is long, young and has shown real potential as a shooter so he swings it. Dunn is a special defensive player. Klintman is kind of less exciting than either. 

McCain im just not super high on picking another small-ish guard for us even though he's a good prospect. 

Ware I'm not huge on the motor and he had some really unimpressive outings against NBA sized bigs. 

I like your reasoning behind your ranking and i understand. Wouldn’t be mad.. 

Id still rank differently though, with some other thoughts that factor into my ranking. 

Im putting McCain first with the thought that we are trading Cole Anthony. It’s a must imo to move on from Cole. He doesn’t provide consistent offensive spark like we need and he isn’t a defensive anchor either. So McCain takes his spot. 

McCain reminds me of a mix between Bane and Brogdon. I love that skill set from the bench. Especially if we’d bring in a guy like Okoro. 

Speaking of Bane. Back then i desperately wanted him, but I thought we could get him in the second round and thought he would be a major reach to draft him top 20! I went for potential and was happy with Cole, thought he could learn how to playmake and be a smart player. Boy, was i wrong! I’m no longer a believer of swinging for potential, they either shown traits in college or i pass. 

So McCain is definitely a Top 10 pick in this years draft. He can do about anything on the floor and get others involved. His shooting is great

Tristan would be the successor to Ingles. we talked about him a lot, no words needed anymore. 

I like Missi too. Would he play instead of WCJ or M. Wagner? i doubt that. He’d be a replacement for Bitadze. Similar to AB and Jett, competing to get any minutes. 

5 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

I like your reasoning behind your ranking and i understand. Wouldn’t be mad.. 

Id still rank differently though, with some other thoughts that factor into my ranking. 

Im putting McCain first with the thought that we are trading Cole Anthony. It’s a must imo to move on from Cole. He doesn’t provide consistent offensive spark like we need and he isn’t a defensive anchor either. So McCain takes his spot. 

McCain reminds me of a mix between Bane and Brogdon. I love that skill set from the bench. Especially if we’d bring in a guy like Okoro. 

Speaking of Bane. Back then i desperately wanted him, but I thought we could get him in the second round and thought he would be a major reach to draft him top 20! I went for potential and was happy with Cole, thought he could learn how to playmake and be a smart player. Boy, was i wrong! I’m no longer a believer of swinging for potential, they either shown traits in college or i pass. 

So McCain is definitely a Top 10 pick in this years draft. He can do about anything on the floor and get others involved. His shooting is great

Tristan would be the successor to Ingles. we talked about him a lot, no words needed anymore. 

I like Missi too. Would he play instead of WCJ or M. Wagner? i doubt that. He’d be a replacement for Bitadze. Similar to AB and Jett, competing to get any minutes. 

Anyone we draft will be competing for minutes or going to the G league in year 1 unless they're way ahead of where they're drafted. Missi I imagine would be the Goga role + going to the G league when WCJ + Mo are healthy. 

Daron Holmes with 23 points 11 rebounds 3 assists, 3 steals and a block on 8/17 shooting and 2/4 from 3 against Arizona today. Big game for him. Had him first round for a while anyway but this might help win some other people over.