2024 NBA Draft Thread

15 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Draft prospects i’d trade up for 

(final starting spot)

1. S. Castle

2. C. Williams

3. R. Holland

4. Risacher

If we ever had a chance to trade up, i feel like this is the year to do so. Couple of teams could be willing to get more future assets, because there is no clear franchise player available.. 

I’m using 2025 Orl and Denver pick to do so! 

Not convinced our pick and a 2025 Denver pick is enough to get you into the lottery where I'd be willing to bet all of those guys get picked. 

I like Castle as a prospect but he's also not better than Anthony Black and a similar archetype so like... Why do that?

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not convinced our pick and a 2025 Denver pick is enough to get you into the lottery where I'd be willing to bet all of those guys get picked. 

I like Castle as a prospect but he's also not better than Anthony Black and a similar archetype so like... Why do that?

Castle is a very different player. AB was more of a floor general and that’s what he’ll be when he figures the NBA game out.. 

Castle is a scoring combo guard. Imo he plays similar to SGA. Also seen comps out there. On top of that he brings some great defense, similar to AB. 
Castle would be great in the starting unit. 
I can also see Ron Holland being a great fit, but for different reasons. He is definitely better on ball, and oh boy he has intangibles. 

Those two fit right into our mentality. 

Its still a long time till the draft. I can see a team like the Blazers trading their pick for multiple assets.. they need depth and they wouldn’t need Castle in this years draft. 

Yeah, Castle is more like Markelle than he is AB. He put pressure and finish around the rim just like Kelle. His shot has come on in the second half of the season, too.

2 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Castle is a very different player. AB was more of a floor general and that’s what he’ll be when he figures the NBA game out.. 

Castle is a scoring combo guard. Imo he plays similar to SGA. Also seen comps out there. On top of that he brings some great defense, similar to AB. 
Castle would be great in the starting unit. 
I can also see Ron Holland being a great fit, but for different reasons. He is definitely better on ball, and oh boy he has intangibles. 

Those two fit right into our mentality. 

Its still a long time till the draft. I can see a team like the Blazers trading their pick for multiple assets.. they need depth and they wouldn’t need Castle in this years draft. 

I've watched teams basically not guard Castle on the perimeter. He's the opposite of a good fit on this team and he's not really a very good scorer yet for a "scoring combo guard". His combination of size and length with passing/handling and defense is intriguing, I think he's a good prospect, I've got him in the lottery, but I can't see a compelling case for us to be trading up to pick him. 

Think Holland is a pretty bad fit for us as well to be honest. And again I have him in the lottery. I just wouldn't use a bunch of assets to trade up for these guys. I'd rather have Yves Missi (for example, ESPN had him mocked at 22 last update, Id be surprised if he's on the board when we pick) and 2 first round picks than Ron Holland (on this team specifically, I think Ron Holland could be a really really good NBA player but I think he'll need a long leash and a lot of reps to develop).

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've watched teams basically not guard Castle on the perimeter. He's the opposite of a good fit on this team and he's not really a very good scorer yet for a "scoring combo guard". His combination of size and length with passing/handling and defense is intriguing, I think he's a good prospect, I've got him in the lottery, but I can't see a compelling case for us to be trading up to pick him. 

Think Holland is a pretty bad fit for us as well to be honest. And again I have him in the lottery. I just wouldn't use a bunch of assets to trade up for these guys. I'd rather have Yves Missi (for example, ESPN had him mocked at 22 last update, Id be surprised if he's on the board when we pick) and 2 first round picks than Ron Holland (on this team specifically, I think Ron Holland could be a really really good NBA player but I think he'll need a long leash and a lot of reps to develop).

Castle can do about everything besides 3 Point shooting right now.. I like him as an elite defender on our team and ball handler. I need him to take load off Wagner and Paolo. And his form is nice. He’ll be able to develop a nice shot, just like SGA. 

Ron Holland i like for different reasons on our team. He’s has elite intangibles, something you can’t teach. He will energize our team and he is an elite off ball player. If we’d draft him, we’d play like we do now by trusting Wagner and Paolo to have the playmaking responsibilities and have Ron Holland cutting and slashing like crazy. Imposing our will on in the paint. 

It really depends on what our philosophy is going to be. 

Just checking some mocks. 
It’s funny how Houston is ranked number 1 in college and i don’t see players being mocked first or second round. 
Does anybody have a clue if that has ever happened? 

15 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm going to go ahead and take a victory lap on my "Trayce Jackson Davis is a first round pick" take from last year. 

Sometimes guys are just so obviously good at the game of basketball but because of some biases or another they fall way further than they should and a smart franchise picks them and we end up with the whole "omg how did they find this guy" chatter. 

Good job. I liked him also. NBA scouts are so intrigued by 19 year old players and forget about players who stayed in college, developed and got a degree. Extremely disappointing. And definitely sends the WRONG message to the youth of today. 

8 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Castle can do about everything besides 3 Point shooting right now.. I like him as an elite defender on our team and ball handler. I need him to take load off Wagner and Paolo. And his form is nice. He’ll be able to develop a nice shot, just like SGA. 

Ron Holland i like for different reasons on our team. He’s has elite intangibles, something you can’t teach. He will energize our team and he is an elite off ball player. If we’d draft him, we’d play like we do now by trusting Wagner and Paolo to have the playmaking responsibilities and have Ron Holland cutting and slashing like crazy. Imposing our will on in the paint. 

It really depends on what our philosophy is going to be. 

This team just used a lottery pick on a guard who's an elite defender. Why would we use multiple assets to trade up for another? And what makes you think we'd trust Castle to take the load off of Paolo and Franz as a ball handler when we haven't trusted AB?

There'd be no space for Ron Holland to cut or slash into on this team on account of him being a bad shooter and teams packing the paint on Franz and Paolo. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

This team just used a lottery pick on a guard who's an elite defender. Why would we use multiple assets to trade up for another? And what makes you think we'd trust Castle to take the load off of Paolo and Franz as a ball handler when we haven't trusted AB?

There'd be no space for Ron Holland to cut or slash into on this team on account of him being a bad shooter and teams packing the paint on Franz and Paolo. 

Because mentality and intangibles matter a lot building this team. 

Castle and Holland are just different in that regard. Castle is that Alpha guy, just like Paolo. I think we could use that type of player to fill that starting lineup. 

There is always space for cutters and slashers if your able to generate double teams. Paolo and Franz will continue to get better and they will be needed to be double teamed going forward. And they will get better in reading those situations. Paolo already improved a lot in that aspect.. 

I think we need to use assets to fill that starting role, because this teams core is already so deep, that we can’t find minutes for players. We have 2-3 picks in the upcoming draft and then our and DEN pick next season. We won’t be able to fit these young players in our roster. Just like OKC faced that problem and just let go of multiple young assets. 

Id rather trade up and get our guy, than settling for an average fit where we can’t find minutes later in the rounds (although i like this years depth of the draft!!)

20 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Because mentality and intangibles matter a lot building this team. 

Castle and Holland are just different in that regard. Castle is that Alpha guy, just like Paolo. I think we could use that type of player to fill that starting lineup. 

There is always space for cutters and slashers if your able to generate double teams. Paolo and Franz will continue to get better and they will be needed to be double teamed going forward. And they will get better in reading those situations. Paolo already improved a lot in that aspect.. 

I think we need to use assets to fill that starting role, because this teams core is already so deep, that we can’t find minutes for players. We have 2-3 picks in the upcoming draft and then our and DEN pick next season. We won’t be able to fit these young players in our roster. Just like OKC faced that problem and just let go of multiple young assets. 

Id rather trade up and get our guy, than settling for an average fit where we can’t find minutes later in the rounds (although i like this years depth of the draft!!)

I agree mentality and intangibles matter a lot, but skill and talent and complimentary roster building matters too. Especially when you're a good team trying to take the next step into legitimate contendership. 

Castle being an "Alpha guy" despite being the 4th/5th option on his college team is pretty funny. 

We can't find minutes for our two lottery picks from last year, what makes you think we'll find minutes for a lottery pick this year when those 2 lottery picks will (hopefully) be improved and we'll (hopefully) be pushing harder for higher seeding and more success. The bar for getting minutes on this team is only going to get steeper.

If you're looking to use assets to add a piece to the starting lineup that's what the trade market is for where you'll likely get a much more immediate contributor. 

Since our team has gone all in on pounding the paint, i think at 22 maybe even Zach Edey might be worth it. I think we can shore up our shooting and PG over the summer. Possibly target Dangelo Russel.