Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

this was a glimpse at playing in the play in or playoffs.. We are definitely not there yet. The game showed our weaknesses. And because OKC and Orlando being the electrifying youngvteams of the NBA, OKC definitely showed us that they are ahead. 

OKC plays great NBA ball, sharing the ball, constant movement

As far as play in basketball. The game showed our limitations. I mean OKC hit us with a 1-2-2 Zone, which is rarely even used and basically is played at youth level in europe, as it is a way to pack the paint and don’t worry about shooters. Well they did that in a NBA game and we had nothing going against that. Not only are we able to adjust with a drawn up play, we can’t even get a shot to fall. 

But it was nice to see that refs gave us a fair chance in a national television game. I guarantee you that SGA would have shot 15+ FT if this was not on national TV. 

So yeah, officiating is a problem. They clearly operate differently when being „observed“ 

This question is for Soul Bro but anybody can answer and I’d prefer if whoever answers has actually played competitive basketball before cause I know Soul Bro did for a little while .

If you’re on the floor with your team …when your team has the ball the opponent is slacking off one of your guys …you have the ball and try to drive into multiple players and lose the ball or you throw an errant pass …is that the players fault who the opponent was slacking off of guarding for your committing a TO ?

I’ll answer for you …HECK NO ! 

I played college bb …my son did too …and he’s not a Fultz fan …he and I discussed on the way home …I averaged 24 ppg in college and I can tell you I had guys in my lineup that couldn’t shoot and the D slacked off of …but any turnover I committed was my own dang fault and nobody else but mine …my son agreed.

This thing that Fultz playing style causes others to commit turnovers is complete BS.

How do you combat teams slacking off of one of your guys ? …Learn to dang shoot yourself ! Or work on your quickness and learn to beat people off the dribble ! Create for others ! Once you’ve worked on your ability to beat people off the dribble …and this is important …Learn to pass the ball accurately ! Make the right read !…if teams are packing the paint …and I watched it this OKC game …not only is Fultz being left open but others have to be also …you gotta make the right read and you can’t do it with your head down when driving into multiple players …and this goes for any player .

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ball junkie said:

On my way home …great jersey hang ceremony with Shaq …all the players from his time here telling some priceless stories .

JI …kid was a minus 24 in just 15 minutes …never thought I’d see the day that happened …Mohs even tried that one lineup with him, Harris, Cole, Franz and his brother …all could shoot …made no difference .

But let’s blame Fultz jajaja for this one .

Tell you what …Fultz has until the end of the year to start at minimum hitting midranges again or his career may be over …We need him to do that …28 games left to play 

Edit: SGA is an absolute wrecking ball …saw an article today on insider he’s in second place for MVP …man I got a Birds Eye view of his ability …WOW 

No one is saying Fultz alone caused this loss.  That’s a mischaracterization.  The team as a whole played poorly. 

The point being made is different.  It’s pretty apparent we need better spacing and better shooting.  In other words we need pieces that better complement Wagner and Banchero.  When you look at it, PG appears to be one obvious area where we could make such an upgrade.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

This question is for Soul Bro but anybody can answer and I’d prefer if whoever answers has actually played competitive basketball before cause I know Soul Bro did for a little while .

If you’re on the floor with your team …when your team has the ball the opponent is slacking off one of your guys …you have the ball and try to drive into multiple players and lose the ball or you throw an errant pass …is that the players fault who the opponent was slacking off of guarding for your committing a TO ?

I played college bb …my son did too …and he’s not a Fultz fan …he and I discussed on the way home …I averaged 24 ppg in college and I can tell you I had guys in my lineup that couldn’t shoot and the D slacked off of …but any turnover I committed was my own dang fault and nobody else but mine …my son agreed.

This thing that Fultz playing style causes others to commit turnovers is complete BS.

How do you combat teams slacking off of one of your guys ? …Learn to dang shoot yourself ! Or work on your quickness and learn to beat people off the dribble ! Create for others ! Once you’ve worked on your ability to beat people off the dribble …and this is important …Learn to pass the ball accurately ! Make the right read !…if teams are packing the paint …and I watched it this OKC game …not only is Fultz being left open but others have to be also …you gotta make the right read and you can’t do it with your head down when driving into multiple players …and this goes for any player .

It’s not either or, it’s both.  Bad passing is on the person who makes the pass, but if you’re trying to get into the paint and it’s constantly clogged up, the chance of turning it over is going to be consistently higher than if there was more room.  Just a lot less margin for error, and can’t expect every pass to be perfect.  

2 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

No one is saying Fultz alone caused this loss.  That’s a mischaracterization.  The team as a whole played poorly. 

The point being made is different.  It’s pretty apparent we need better spacing and better shooting.  In other words we need pieces that better complement Wagner and Banchero.  When you look at it, PG appears to be one obvious area where we could make such an upgrade.  

I wasn’t just talking about this game …my points were for EVERY game …and well, the personnel we have right now is what we’ll have to the end of the season …so hopefully others will stop making TO’s and improve their game also …not just Fultz that needs to improve his game …I’d add that even if Fultz isn’t here next year our studs need to improve in making the right reads

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

It’s not either or, it’s both.  Bad passing is on the person who makes the pass, but if you’re trying to get into the paint and it’s constantly clogged up, the chance of turning it over is going to be consistently higher than if there was more room.  Just a lot less margin for error, and can’t expect every pass to be perfect.  

Did you really read my post ? I digress …

15 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I wasn’t just talking about this game …my points were for EVERY game …and well, the personnel we have right now is what we’ll have to the end of the season …so hopefully others will stop making TO’s and improve their game also …not just Fultz that needs to improve his game …I’d add that even if Fultz isn’t here next year our studs need to improve in making the right reads

Agree with all of this

11 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

You don’t always have to drive …learn to shoot better …make better reads …we can’t change our personnel now till next season 

Ideally but expecting people to significantly improve in the middle of a season seems unrealistic to me.  For the most part, by this point in the season they are who they are.  

9 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Ideally but expecting people to significantly improve in the middle of a season seems unrealistic to me.  For the most part, by this point in the season they are who they are.  

Franz is a career 35 percent from 3 guy …and that percent is actually dragged down cause he’s only 31 this season …not sure what happened …Banchero has been in the high 30’s most of the season but is now down to 35 …like I said shoot the ball better …both can and have shown they can 

The problem is, the lineups have become flawed. 

What are we doing? We starting Fultz who is a player, who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He breaks down defenses at will, his handling is superb and he therefore makes players around him better, because he breaks the defense down. 

But we are taking his strength away, with Paolo and Franz handling the ball for the most part. There is no point, to have Fultz spot up at the 3point line. 

So in all honesty, with our personnel right now, i’d even consider starting G. Harris alongside Suggs. 

I‘d let Fultz play with the second unit and be their primary ball handler! Ingles can also spot up and drill shots. 

That would be my solution for this season. And yeah, in the offseason we need to make the right moves…

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

It wouldn’t be the non shooters fault, but he also isn’t making life easier for the rest of the team. 

J. Williams, who just dropped 32 on us, said it best after the game. The players around him make shots, it makes his life easier and opens up the lane.. 

I mean, it should absolutely be a mistake to play a 122 Zone in the NBA. To get away with that, just showed us how poorly everybody executed in that game and also can’t make shots..