CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

He'll undoubtedly get signed somewhere else, do something outrageous once or twice or have a single great game at some point this season and people will ask "why did we waive Bol?"

But the honest answer is, and will continue to be, he's just not a winning basketball player. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

He'll undoubtedly get signed somewhere else, do something outrageous once or twice or have a single great game at some point this season and people will ask "why did we waive Bol?"

But the honest answer is, and will continue to be, he's just not a winning basketball player. 

exactly.. We could have only kept him if we had open roster spots.. But with all of the young talent we accumulated over the years, it’s tough for extreme raw talent on our squad.. 

So it was either Bol Bol or Okeke and it’s Okeke for me all day. At least Okeke can contribute to winning. He plays smart and good defensive and can spot up shoot. 

We still got 2 more Two way players to sign.. I hope we swing on Sotto and we already got K. Harris. 

Also remember in the new CBA all 15 players can suit up for games. Underrated rule that will be really valuable for elite type two way players. K. Harris is an elite type two way player imo. I like Schoefield too. Let’s see

10 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

exactly.. We could have only kept him if we had open roster spots.. But with all of the young talent we accumulated over the years, it’s tough for extreme raw talent on our squad.. 

So it was either Bol Bol or Okeke and it’s Okeke for me all day. At least Okeke can contribute to winning. He plays smart and good defensive and can spot up shoot. 

We still got 2 more Two way players to sign.. I hope we swing on Sotto and we already got K. Harris. 

Also remember in the new CBA all 15 players can suit up for games. Underrated rule that will be really valuable for elite type two way players. K. Harris is an elite type two way player imo. I like Schoefield too. Let’s see

Not convinced Schofield will be back to be honest. 

Will wait and see on SL and the 2 way guys but at this moment I'm not touching Sotto. 

Jake Fischer reporting we tried to trade Bol to Dallas. Guessing the sticking point was we didn't want to take back (or at least weren't encouraged enough by Dallas's offer to take back) Javale McGee.

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not convinced Schofield will be back to be honest. 

Will wait and see on SL and the 2 way guys but at this moment I'm not touching Sotto. 

yeah obviously have to wait and see how Sotto performs.. I want one of those two way spots to be a center though.. We are lacking true centers imo.. 
WCJ gets hurt often. After that it’s Bitadze and Mo, who really is more of a PF

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jake Fischer reporting we tried to trade Bol to Dallas. Guessing the sticking point was we didn't want to take back (or at least weren't encouraged enough by Dallas's offer to take back) Javale McGee.

I don’t know if we ever had a decent offer on the table. 
Probably more of salary dumb options from other teams. 

Bol Bol situation was clear from the beginning. So this was one of those NFL situations where everybody knows the player is gonna get cut, so why make an offer?!

https://hoopswire.com/2023-nba-free-agents/

This Free Agent class still features some good NBA role players.. 
The NBA is really due for an expansion. Too many good players available and not enough roster spots

One move is really do is cut or trade Okeke and pick up Trendon Watford.. really underrated imo. 

I also always like Oubre Jr.. We could really be aggressive with trade packages and improve our starting lineup and still get decent role players in FA!

Grant Williams only got 4y/53 mil.. I’m sure a lot of Magic fans are upset about this one.. We must be shooting for next years FA. 

Mo Bamba went to that famous „White Party“ and got himself a one year deal from the Sixers lol

43 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

Grant Williams only got 4y/53 mil.. I’m sure a lot of Magic fans are upset about this one.. We must be shooting for next years FA. 

Either we just flat out weren't interested (most likely) or he prioritized a spot he thought could be an immediate contender. 

Side note: Dallas have had a great off-season so far. Used the draft to get Lively, the full MLE and OMax Prosper who I think might be able to contribute immediately. Then kept Kyrie which realistically they had to do and added Grant Williams, Seth Curry and Dante Exum who might be a sneaky good addition. And possibly they'll add Thybulle also with the MLE depending on if Portland match. It's not blockbuster but they've added a bunch of defense and some shooting around Luka/Kyrie. 

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Either we just flat out weren't interested (most likely) or he prioritized a spot he thought could be an immediate contender. 

Side note: Dallas have had a great off-season so far. Used the #10 pick to get Lively and the full MLE, drafted OMax Prosper who I think might be able to contribute immediately. Then kept Kyrie which realistically they had to do and added Grant Williams, Seth Curry and Dante Exum who might be a sneaky good addition. And possibly they'll add Thybulle also with the MLE depending on if Portland match. It's not blockbuster but they've added a bunch of defense and some shooting around Luka/Kyrie. 

i liked what they did with the possibilities they had been presented..

They made a whole lot out of very little.. 

Dallas could be a sneaky good team if Luca and Kyrie learn to play together..

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Side note: Dallas have had a great off-season so far. Used the draft to get Lively, the full MLE and OMax Prosper who I think might be able to contribute immediately. Then kept Kyrie which realistically they had to do and added Grant Williams, Seth Curry and Dante Exum who might be a sneaky good addition. And possibly they'll add Thybulle also with the MLE depending on if Portland match. It's not blockbuster but they've added a bunch of defense and some shooting around Luka/Kyrie. 

I agree on everything except Kyrie. The bad choice was to trade for him first of all, so I understand that now they were somehow forced to resign him. But IMO that pairing is terrible, and it's a lot of season that Irving provides more problems than solutions.

On 7/5/2023 at 5:06 AM, orlandoholic said:

https://hoopswire.com/2023-nba-free-agents/

This Free Agent class still features some good NBA role players.. 
The NBA is really due for an expansion. Too many good players available and not enough roster spots

One move is really do is cut or trade Okeke and pick up Trendon Watford.. really underrated imo. 

I also always like Oubre Jr.. We could really be aggressive with trade packages and improve our starting lineup and still get decent role players in FA!

Haven't really seen much on Watford, though his shooting numbers seem to be "Trendon" the right way. Seriously, he might be worth picking up on a 1+1 at $3-4M per year just to get him into camp (and SL?). If he doesn't work out, you cut him. If he does, you look at the rest of your roster - I like Okeke, and I think he has had a rough couple of years physically and the rotation playing with him; but no more excuses, now is the time for him to show out or get out. If Watford can come in and outplay him for a roster spot, so be it.