Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

5 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

If we somehow get in on this trade it will be for. 2nd round pick and cash. Lol. Honestly. Weltman sits on his hands and is not proactive. Hence why we stayed with Vuch and Evan for too long. Now we have a serious unbalanced roster and what has he done? U know.

I think all he wants to do is ride out his time here and keep his job till he can ride off into the sunset like Hammond. Obviously ownership just wants seats filled, who cares what teams fans fill them. 

we have a serious unbalanced roster? 

- I doubt that claim. We are actually very very deep at every position instead of center.

PG: Fultz, C. Anthony, A. Black

SG: Harris, Suggs, Howard, K. Harris

SF: F. Wagner, Ingles, Houstan

PF: Banchero, Isaac, Okeke

C: WCJ, Bitadze, M. Wagner

If anything, we are too deep! For the Fromt office it’s somewhat of a tough situation though, as some players are injury prone and we can’t really rely on them. 

So if everybody is healthy, we are a deep an dangerous team. If Fultz, Isaac, WCJ, Suggs go down, we are in some trouble. 

So i wouldn’t say we are unbalanced, but i’d definitely say we need to bundle some of these assets and get better at certain positions.

IMO we need an upgrade at starting SG and we need a backup center that is also a starting caliber center 

My realistic solution would be to trade for Herro and Valanciunas. 

Use C. Anthony, Harris, 1st picks for Herro

Use Okeke and bunch of 2nd round picks for  Valanciunas 

ideally

PG: Fultz, A. Black

SG: Herro, Suggs, Howard, K. Harris

SF: F. Wagner, Ingles, Houstan

PF: Banchero, Isaac, M. Wagner

C: WCJ, Valanciunas, Bitadze 

we still have a roster spot and i would go out and sign Trendon Watford 

I misspoke when I said unbalanced roster kind of. Meant more of unbalanced players. Shoot first type of players like Cole who play bad defense. Or defenders who struggle on offense like Suggs, Fultz. And then Projects like Houston, Howard, AB, Kevon, etc.  Then you also have often injured players, Isaac, Fultz, Wendell. 
Also you have zero knock down shooters from deep to go to. There are way too many question marks on this team.

It would be nice if the management instead of waiting years down the road to make a decision on some ot these players before they lose their value in the trade market. That they go out and get one or two established players, that you know what you are going to get out of. And it will set a hierarchy to make players know their role more clearly. 

Cuz right now you have about 8 or more players think they should be starting. This leads to competition, yes but also leads to resentment especially with a coach that plays way too many people in his rotations. 

14 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

If we somehow get in on this trade it will be for. 2nd round pick and cash. Lol. Honestly. Weltman sits on his hands and is not proactive. Hence why we stayed with Vuch and Evan for too long. Now we have a serious unbalanced roster and what has he done? U know.

I think all he wants to do is ride out his time here and keep his job till he can ride off into the sunset like Hammond. Obviously ownership just wants seats filled, who cares what teams fans fill them. 

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what happens going forward. Weltman has made a few good moves for us, but none of them have involved acquiring proven talent.

Michael Scotto: The Orlando Magic are hiring Xavier Thames as a player development / video coordinator assistant, league sources told @hoopshype. Thames was drafted by the Toronto Raptors in 2014 and sent to the Brooklyn Nets in a draft night trade before playing internationally for years.

– via TwitterMikeAScotto

anybody know him?

There was a moment in time where Orlando Magic guard Markelle Fultz discussed as of the biggest bust in NBA history. 

But anytime the former No. 1 pick is healthy and on the court, it's easy to see why the Philadelphia 76ers saw in him entering the 2017 NBA Draft.  

"He was a No. 1 pick for a reason," Magic guard Gary Harris said on the Club 520 Podcast. "He's up there with [Nikola Jokic] with his passing and feel, Markelle is such a selfless player too. He's literally just getting guys involved and just putting pressure on the defense, he's doing whatever the team asks and do it with a smile on his face every time."

Over his first two career seasons in Philadelphia, Fultz was limited to just 33 games while averaging a mere 7.7 points and 3.4 assists.

And as players selected after him such as Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum (No. 3). Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell (No. 13) and Miami Heat center Bam Adebayo (No. 14), began emerging as young stars, Fultz was an afterthought in that talented class. 

However, coming off a year where he posted career-highs in points (14.0), assists (5.7), steals (1.5) and three point percentage (31.0), Fultz showed just how valuable he can be on the court. 

"The way [Fultz] moves on the court is so awkward and just so fluid at the same time," Harris said. "He's special, and he been knocking down his shot...Markelle is gonna have a crazy year this year, and I think people are gonna realize that he was the No. 1 pick for a reason."

Now heading into the year with a fully guaranteed contract, the sixth-year guard looks to replicate last season's production. 

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orlando-magic-gary-harris-markelle-fultz-jeff-teague-jayson-tatum-nikola-jokic-offseason-nba-draft-contract
Here is your team leader …watched him all season coaching on the floor 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

There was a moment in time where Orlando Magic guard Markelle Fultz discussed as of the biggest bust in NBA history. 

But anytime the former No. 1 pick is healthy and on the court, it's easy to see why the Philadelphia 76ers saw in him entering the 2017 NBA Draft.  

"He was a No. 1 pick for a reason," Magic guard Gary Harris said on the Club 520 Podcast. "He's up there with [Nikola Jokic] with his passing and feel, Markelle is such a selfless player too. He's literally just getting guys involved and just putting pressure on the defense, he's doing whatever the team asks and do it with a smile on his face every time."

Over his first two career seasons in Philadelphia, Fultz was limited to just 33 games while averaging a mere 7.7 points and 3.4 assists.

And as players selected after him such as Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum (No. 3). Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell (No. 13) and Miami Heat center Bam Adebayo (No. 14), began emerging as young stars, Fultz was an afterthought in that talented class. 

However, coming off a year where he posted career-highs in points (14.0), assists (5.7), steals (1.5) and three point percentage (31.0), Fultz showed just how valuable he can be on the court. 

"The way [Fultz] moves on the court is so awkward and just so fluid at the same time," Harris said. "He's special, and he been knocking down his shot...Markelle is gonna have a crazy year this year, and I think people are gonna realize that he was the No. 1 pick for a reason."

Now heading into the year with a fully guaranteed contract, the sixth-year guard looks to replicate last season's production. 

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orlando-magic-gary-harris-markelle-fultz-jeff-teague-jayson-tatum-nikola-jokic-offseason-nba-draft-contract

Fear is he gets extended with an enormous amount. You have Franz contract coming up followed by Paolo.  

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Good read. I hope he shows that this year. Let’s go!

40 minutes ago, Jon said:

Fear is he gets extended with an enormous amount. You have Franz contract coming up followed by Paolo.  

Always a possibility, for sure, but I don’t see us overpaying anyone. If he gets extended I see it similar to a “how did he pull that off”? Like Wendell got a couple years back

I know Paolo is like a God on these boards …but this past season when the game was on the line I know in my mind who’s hands I wanted the ball in and let him make the decisions(Markelle) …I’d be curious if there was a way you could find a stat for who was our most effective player in crunch time .

• Like 1

I know Paolo is like a God on these boards …but this past season when the game was on the line I know in my mind who’s hands I wanted the ball in and let him make the decisions(Markelle) …I’d be curious if there was a way you could find a stat for who was our most effective player in crunch time .

This I agree with. Paolo could become the next Melo or a slighter lesser version of Lebron. Who knows. But right now Kelle should have the ball to facilitate and be the decision maker at crunch time. 

I don’t think Paolo is like a God, I think he’s a very good rookie, with a lot of upside potential still remaining. He still has flaws and areas to improve, hopefully he will continue to improve. I agree that Kelle is the engine that needs to continue directing the team. His decision making is very good and if his shot can come back to his college level, he will be a top-5 point in this league. Right now I would put him in the 10-12 range. His shot is really the only thing holding him back.

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Without looking it up and just going off memory, I feel like Cole might be our best crunch time shot maker, but Markelle is definitely the guy I want facilitating