Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

17 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

The problem with Reaves and the two Miami guys is that they are just going to make huge amounts of money that I doubt they are going to be able to play up to

You may be correct in that assumption - it does speak to recency bias.

These teams are the biggest threats to sign Naz Reid:

1. Orlando Magic

The Magic finished 13th in the East in 2022-23 but managed to win 34 games in what proved to be a crowded middle of the conference. Their record may not reflect it, but Orlando looked like a playoff team for stretches throughout the season.

The Magic could be in the market for a dynamic player to put next to Paolo Banchero in the frontcourt, and Naz Reid would be an excellent fit. With Reid’s ability to space the floor, Banchero would have a ton of room to operate and would be in great position to build off his impressive rookie season.

Orlando may not have the most talented roster and Reid could certainly sign with a team closer to contending for a championship. But the Magic’s cap space this summer will be significant. If they end up waiving all their non-guaranteed players, they can create up to $58 million in total cap space.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2023/06/19/teams-biggest-threats-sign-naz-reid-from-timberwolves/

13 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I would like to see us pursue a free agent who can play backup 3/4

That makes our roster:

Fultz/Black/Suggs

G Harris/Anthony/Howard

F Wagner/Houstan/F.A.

Banchero/Isaac/Okeke

Carter/Bitadze/M Wagner

12 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

We have to trim down the quantity of this roster and improve the quality.. This is the year to do so. 

Package multiple players for a good starter. 

Maybe we can get Lavine, Simons, Patrick Williams, Deandre Hunter or another player for a package of Cole, Harris, Okeke, Bol Bol. 

Im not including Suggs in any case. I believe in him. 

or a sign and trade with those players.

Next step is to get a good backup C. I don’t trust the health of WCJ. We need a better option than Bitadze. (too unproven) 

I think if you bring in another Center who can start if WCJ is out, then maybe Naz Reid is a good option. He's young enough to fit our core, and you can play big or small and a reasonable offer might bring him in, something like 4/$60M doesn't break us.

Fultz/Black/Anthony

Suggs/G Harris/Howard

F Wagner/Houstan/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/M Wagner

WCJ/Reid/Bitadze

If Isaac doesn't come back healthy, you have until Jan 10 to get out from guaranteeing the rest of his contract, and look to pick up a free agent. Anyone can be traded around the deadline if they aren't working for any reason. Yes, you have a lot of young guys who will need minutes, but most of them can be slotted down to Lakeland if you need to work on specifics in game situations or (hopefully not) if someone needs rehab/conditioning time. 

Naz Reid is just about the last backup big id want. A 6'9, offense first big who we'd have to give big money to. 

Just resign Mo Wagner. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Naz Reid is just about the last backup big id want. A 6'9, offense first big who we'd have to give big money to. 

Just resign Mo Wagner. 

Agreed. Mo is a serviceable backup who will be on a friendly contract. If WCJ goes down, we'll adjust but shouldn't sign a high profile center to a big contact "just in case" WCJ gets hurt. There are better ways to use cap space...

6 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Agreed. Mo is a serviceable backup who will be on a friendly contract. If WCJ goes down, we'll adjust but shouldn't sign a high profile center to a big contact "just in case" WCJ gets hurt. There are better ways to use cap space...

If we wanted to spend big money on a backup 5, which I agree with you I wouldn't do, there are much better options. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just resign Mo Wagner. 

no Mo Wagner is a PF. He is a bad rim protector and we suffered from that last year.. Gafford it is! just give up multiple 2nd round picks and Bol Bol. should do it for Washington 

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think if you bring in another Center who can start if WCJ is out, then maybe Naz Reid is a good option. He's young enough to fit our core, and you can play big or small and a reasonable offer might bring him in, something like 4/$60M doesn't break us.

Fultz/Black/Anthony

Suggs/G Harris/Howard

F Wagner/Houstan/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/M Wagner

WCJ/Reid/Bitadze

If Isaac doesn't come back healthy, you have until Jan 10 to get out from guaranteeing the rest of his contract, and look to pick up a free agent. Anyone can be traded around the deadline if they aren't working for any reason. Yes, you have a lot of young guys who will need minutes, but most of them can be slotted down to Lakeland if you need to work on specifics in game situations or (hopefully not) if someone needs rehab/conditioning time. 

So before the draft it was aid Lavine is available for a young player, and a pick. So i’m read to make them an offer..

Cole, Okeke, Harris,2024 Top 3 protected pick, 

is that enough? I dunno. 

in another move we trade Bol Bol plus multiple 2nd round picks for Gafford.

resign M. Wagner

roster.

PG: Fultz, Black

SG: Lavine, Suggs, K. Harris

SF: F. Wagner, Howard, Houstan

PF: Banchero, Isaac, M. Wagner

C: WCJ, Gafford, Bitadze 

47 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

So before the draft it was aid Lavine is available for a young player, and a pick. So i’m read to make them an offer..

Cole, Okeke, Harris,2024 Top 3 protected pick, 

is that enough? I dunno. 

in another move we trade Bol Bol plus multiple 2nd round picks for Gafford.

resign M. Wagner

roster.

PG: Fultz, Black

SG: Lavine, Suggs, K. Harris

SF: F. Wagner, Howard, Houstan

PF: Banchero, Isaac, M. Wagner

C: WCJ, Gafford, Bitadze 

You're short about 20million in salary to make the Lavine deal work (and no it's not enough).

On 4/12/2023 at 1:40 PM, Soul Bro said:

Post all of your brilliant off-season Orlando Magic ideas here!

Who feels like Jett will get some serious burn at the 2 position this season?

The magic severely need 3pt spacing from his name position and he provides that!

The Nuggets just had some success with a slower foot speed less of a rim protector center and an oversized team around him.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1