Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

33 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

If we got him he’d be option 1 …honestly, as others have alluded too he doesn’t fit great with Banchero either because of his supposed weakness shooting and being ball dominant …but as I keep saying the experts say he’s on a tier just a little lower than Wemby 

Well I think we need a ball dominate guard because I don’t see Paolo or Franz as guys you want to run an offense as a lead guard. They are high iq players who can make plays but not floor generals you want to rely on as setting up the offense every possession.

I really want to root for Black because of that but I don’t know if he’s a lead guard or more of a 6’7 combo guard. 

19 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Don’t like Scoot for us.  At all.  Good prospect, but if he was BAP at our draft spot I would take him and trade him.  Wouldn’t trade up for him.

2023 Orlando Magic Draft Preview: Scoot Henderson getting out of the shadow by Patrick Previt, 1 day ago

"The notion that Henderson is a notorious ball-stopper or would not be able to work with certain players who also need the ball in their hands seems like a title that was just thrown on him because of his player comparisons.

Yes, 43.7 percent of possessions came as the pick-and-roll ball handler, he certainly does most of his work out of those areas, but he was a more than willing passer.

And for Orlando, although Markelle Fultz showed he can run the offense last year, it seems as though Henderson’s playmaking would help, not hinder, the development of Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner."

Could we pick Bilal at 6? Wow. He’s definitely climbing boards. His game seems like a raw Mikal Bridges with more athleticism. This draft is going to be bananas because nothing is set after the first pick.

1 minute ago, Soul Bro said:

Could we pick Bilal at 6? Wow. He’s definitely climbing boards. His game seems like a raw Mikal Bridges with more athleticism. This draft is going to be bananas because nothing is set after the first pick.

I think that'd be a mistake. 

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think that'd be a mistake. 

I have no idea. Dude wasn’t even on the radar last year, but I’m not putting anything past WeltHam. From their work getting us Paulo, Franz and WCJ (and extra picks), they’ve won my trust.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Soul Bro said:

I have no idea. Dude wasn’t even on the radar last year, but I’m not putting anything past WeltHam. From their work getting us Paulo, Franz and WCJ (and extra picks), they’ve won my trust.

Totally agree on trusting WeltHam. 

I say it every year but whoever we draft, at least until I see them play in the NBA, I'll convince myself they're going to be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

On the draft being bananas, you're so right. It seems weird how wildly different the main stream mocks seem to be this year. As an example, Brice Sensabaugh is in the teens on one and in the 2nd round on others. 

The back of the first round is super interesting to me because it feels like there are about 30 names being banded around for those 10 picks. 

Sam Vecinie at the Athletic new mock: 

6. Amen Thompson

11. Gradey Dick

36. Maxwell Lewis

Is there a legitimate chance Amen falls to 6? That'd be wild. 

Maxwell Lewis I'm not a huge fan of really but at 36 it's basically an upside swing on a long wing who's flashed a lot of talent but has never really looked like a winning basketball player. 

41 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Is there a legitimate chance Amen falls to 6? That'd be wild. 

Seems to be. I've seen quite a few mocks over the last week flipping Ausar and Amen: Ausar going 4, Whitmore 5, Amen 6. I guess teams are more sold on Ausar's increased shot mechanics now?

16 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

Seems to be. I've seen quite a few mocks over the last week flipping Ausar and Amen: Ausar going 4, Whitmore 5, Amen 6. I guess teams are more sold on Ausar's increased shot mechanics now?

I have Amen at 3 on my board but even I'm scared of him. Cam and Ausar, there's like clear paths to those guys being solid roleplayer types even if they're not stars... I don't think that's necessarily true about Amen. His upside is outrageous. He's one of the most special athletes I've ever seen and his playmaking is really intriguing... But the setting, the jumper, a few bad habits... It's tough to not be a bit anxious.

If he's on the board it's such a difficult decision. If you trade the pick to somebody who really wants him you're either the idiots who traded away an awesome player or the geniuses who fleeced a team. 

And if you keep the pick, there's two separate schools of thought with this right? Either you think "we already have our stars why gamble?" or you think "we don't desperately need this pick to work out because we already have our stars, why not gamble?" 

Since we have pick 11 also I lean more in that second camp. Why not gamble at 6 and play it safe at 11? 

2 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

I see no chance if the picks aren’t traded.. 
Amen and Ausar seem like legit players.. 

One is a PG and his main skill set and upside is playmaking, scoring, floor general with supreme athleticism and the other is better off ball, cutter, slasher, defender and better shooter..

Houston is desperate for a playmaker. I don’t see them taking Ausar, except they still believe they can let two chucksters dictate their offense.