Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

4 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I wanted either of Brunson or Carter. I also liked Robinson and I was like, who the F is Melvin Frasier?

Yeah, anyone who has been here for the last 12 years knows all of you are infinity times better then any former magic executive. Current guys are on the clock. The Bulls trade gets them close, what they do this draft can possibly make me respect them more then you guys.

Adem Bona has declared for the draft, didn't know if he'd bother given his shoulder injury (but he can still go back to UCLA if he doesn't get the right feedback), he's on my "looks like a WeltHam guy" list and would make for an interesting guy to promise with #36. 

I, like most, want an injection of shooting and floor spacing on the team and would prefer we pick up either Hawkins or Dick with the Bulls lottery pick at this point. However, they're both known pretty much just for their shooting and their defense may be average to suspect. Who would you say are the best 3-and-d prospects that could potentially play SG in the draft, so players who might be a tiny bit less advanced than those two at the three ball, but not too far behind, and also known as pretty solid defenders?

9 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

I, like most, want an injection of shooting on the team and would prefer we pick up either Hawkins or Dick with the Bulls lottery pick at this point. However, they're both known pretty much just for their shooting and their defense may be average to suspect. Who would you say are the best 3-and-d prospects in the draft, so players who might be a tiny bit less advanced than those two at the three ball, but not too far behind, and also known as pretty solid defenders?

Taylor Hendricks.

Everyone else you kind of have to squint a bit and have belief in the development of either the jumper or the defense.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Taylor Hendricks.

Everyone else you kind of have to squint a bit and have belief in the development of either the jumper or the defense.

Potentially Wallace as a hybrid guard depending on his length.

10 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Potentially Wallace as a hybrid guard depending on his length.

Yea you're right. I think it's weird to label ball handling guards as 3 and D but he's definitely got the defense and his jumper looks solid enough. 

This is reactionary but when I consider the playoffs I can't escape the thought of Keyonte George and his pull up 3 point shooting. 

Screw it here's an honest attempt at a Top however many players I can think of, not taking fit on this team into account.  

1. Wemby

2. Scoot

3. Amen Thompson

4. Aussar Thompson

5. Brandon Miller 

6. Cam Whitmore

7. Anthony Black

8. Taylor Hendricks

9. Jarace Walker

10. Keyonte George

11. Nick Smith Jr. 

12. Cason Wallace

13. Kobe Bufkin 

14. Gradey Dick

15.  Jett Howard

16. Jordan Hawkins 

17. Rayan Rupert 

18. Leonard Miller

19. Brice Sensabaugh 

20. Derek Lively 

I'm starting to struggle so I'll stop there. I think for me 1, 2 and 3 feel pretty set then the rest are in little groups that feel like they could change pretty easily even on just how I feel that day: 4-6, 7-9. 10-16 and 17-20.  Derek Lively kind of confuses me because I kept thinking about him at every point from like 13 onwards but I just kept erring on the side of guards/wings/forwards over him who's an out and out 5. 

You know this is not a bad draft to have 2 lottery picks in. It's not like LOADED with stars but there's a lot of potential there. Like I'd be genuinely surprised if none (or even only one) of those guys in the 10-20 group go on to become a star. 

I'm lower on Miller than most but that's not for any particular reason other than I'm just high on the Thompsons (though I concede they're definitely the most high risk guys in the top 10). 

Hopefully I didn't forget anyone obvious.

• Upvote 2

I'm not convinced all these numbers are correct (Gradey at 1PPS on catch and shoots doesn't make sense, equivalent to him making 33% from 3 when he shot 40%, unless he took enough midrange catch and shoot attempts at a worse rate or so many more pull up shots that doesn't feel right, can see he did make more pull ups though which is a shock). However:

Julian Strawther absolute touch god. 50 floater makes is insane. (Although possibly suggests he's not athletic enough to get all the way to the rim). 

Marcus Sasser and Brandin Podziemski are interesting late first early 2nd guys. 

Someone might draft Sensabaugh pretty early if they think they can teach him how to play defense. (Big if)

Jordan Hawkins complete lack of floater touch is weird but could be a small sample size thing if he didn't attempt many. (EDIT: if my math is right he only attempted 13 floaters)