CTMagicUK

2021 NBA Draft Thread

By Jeffs reaction on draft lottery night he will be trading up. He was fuming. I expect us to be super aggressive come draft night. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

By Jeffs reaction on draft lottery night he will be trading up. He was fuming. I expect us to be super aggressive come draft night. 

This is the first time that it is all there show.

3 hours ago, og magic fan said:

Honestly it was an article I cannot find now.  Sow here is my point.  Kuminga's upside is to good to pass up.  I see him as a turbo charged Kawhi eventually.  Moody says total bust I would not touch him at 8 I want Bouknight at all cost.  We need shot creators!  

Then why do you want to draft guys who couldn't create good shots for themselves or others? 

It's all theoretical shot creation. It never actually happened at any kind of encouraging rate for either Bouknight or Kuminga. 

Both of them would probably be better off in situations where they don't have to create shots for themselves as often. Bouknight in particular I think is much more of an off ball scorer in the league than people think just because his highlight reel is full of ridiculous tough shots (which didn't go in that often). 

1 hour ago, Jay Magic said:

It takes two teams to trade. We can be super aggressive all we want but if the teams above us say 'no thanks' there's nothing we can do. 

I personally think the most likely scenario is we stick at 5 and 8. 

I'd love us to trade up but it feels like a long shot to me unless Cleveland loves Scottie Barnes or something.

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

……just because his highlight reel is full of ridiculous tough shots (which didn't go in that often). 

Why does this make me think of Dwayne Bacon (shudders)?

Just now, JJZFL said:

Why does this make me think of Dwayne Bacon (shudders)?

He's better than Bacon. Better shooter and more acrobatic finisher. But it's not hyperbolic to say he's either selfish or has bad vision (or both) in a similar way to Bacon. He takes a lot of tough jumpers when his (admittedly not great) teammates are open. 

2 hours ago, og magic fan said:

So apparently all the so called brilliant Magic fans want Barnes and Moody?  

Does not matter who us brilliant fans want (personally think super brilliant is a more apt description).  We have a professional front office who will have all kinds of knowledge that we don’t have.  They could not care less what gets said here.  They make the picks, and either get the credit or take the heat based on the results.  

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

He's better than Bacon. Better shooter and more acrobatic finisher. But it's not hyperbolic to say he's either selfish or has bad vision (or both) in a similar way to Bacon. He takes a lot of tough jumpers when his (admittedly not great) teammates are open. 

Thank you.  I haven’t followed any of this, but  that sounds exactly the opposite of how I want to see us play.  

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

Does not matter who us brilliant fans want (personally think super brilliant is a more apt description).  We have a professional front office who will have all kinds of knowledge that we don’t have.  They could not care less what gets said here.  They make the picks, and either get the credit or take the heat based in the results.  

Yea and it's important to remember that the front office has access to stats and information that random fans on the internet will never know. They do deep dives on the prospects backgrounds with private investigator types. They have teams of analysts looking at metrics and stats not in the public domain (we currently have an exclusive player tracking technology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonogus/2019/02/27/orlando-magic-enter-exclusive-deal-with-stats-to-begin-using-ai-player-tracking-technology/) and they have teams of scouts who've been around the game for years. 

Doesn't mean it's not fun for us to discuss though! 

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea and it's important to remember that the front office has access to stats and information that random fans on the internet will never know. They do deep dives on the prospects backgrounds with private investigator types. They have teams of analysts looking at metrics and stats not in the public domain (we currently have an exclusive player tracking technology: https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonogus/2019/02/27/orlando-magic-enter-exclusive-deal-with-stats-to-begin-using-ai-player-tracking-technology/) and they have teams of scouts who've been around the game for years. 

Doesn't mean it's not fun for us to discuss though! 

Agree completely 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Then why do you want to draft guys who couldn't create good shots for themselves or others? 

It's all theoretical shot creation. It never actually happened at any kind of encouraging rate for either Bouknight or Kuminga. 

Both of them would probably be better off in situations where they don't have to create shots for themselves as often. Bouknight in particular I think is much more of an off ball scorer in the league than people think just because his highlight reel is full of ridiculous tough shots (which didn't go in that often). 

Are you nuts?  Both high level shot creators.  Efficiency is the key and both can develop.