Fultz4thewin

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

5 hours ago, Fultz4thewin said:

Isn't it expected to have vastly different records against good teams and bad teams?

Sometimes we play poorly against bad teams and win sometimes we lose (like the second game against Atlanta. Sometimes we play good against bad teams and win by a lot.

Sometimes we play poorly against good teams and lose. 

Its not reasonable to expect teams to play every single game at top effort. But if we played a reasonable amount of games with the same effort and focus on the defensive end like we did in wins against Miami and LA we'd have several more wins. 

Of course we’re going to have different records against good teams vs bad teams.    My point was in response to one of Jays posts above where he said that if we play Boston the same as we played Charlotte, we should win.  I don’t believe that’s the case.  As I said, bad teams make us look better than we are, while good teams expose our weaknesses.  I don’t believe we lose to good teams because we somehow always decide to play them with less effort.  On balance, over the course of the season, we probably play good and bad teams with about the same overall level of intensity.  Of course there are lapses here and there.  The same level of effort just doesn’t look as good against the better teams.  It’s not really something we can fully control.  

Its not that we’re playing with a different level of competency randomly.  Rather the same level of competency looks different when we’re playing bad teams than it does when we’re playing good teams.  For us to beat good teams with the current roster, playing well isn’t enough.  We have to play great.  That’s why we have so few wins against the better teams.  

29 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Of course we’re going to have different records against good teams vs bad teams.    My point was in response to one of Jays posts above where he said that if we play Boston the same as we played Charlotte, we should win.  I don’t believe that’s the case.  As I said, bad teams make us look better than we are, while good teams expose our weaknesses.  I don’t believe we lose to good teams because we somehow always decide to play them with less effort.  On balance, over the course of the season, we probably play good and bad teams with about the same overall level of intensity.  Of course there are lapses here and there.  The same level of effort just doesn’t look as good against the better teams.  It’s not really something we can fully control.  

Its not that we’re playing with a different level of competency randomly.  Rather the same level of competency looks different when we’re playing bad teams than it does when we’re playing good teams.  For us to beat good teams with the current roster, playing well isn’t enough.  We have to play great.  That’s why we have so few wins against the better teams.  

I don't know. In most cases I agree but go back and watch the level of defense Vucevic played when we held Miami to 6 points in a quarter and watch the level of defense in some of our worst losses. 

It's not an ability thing there. 

36 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

I don't know. In most cases I agree but go back and watch the level of defense Vucevic played when we held Miami to 6 points in a quarter and watch the level of defense in some of our worst losses. 

It's not an ability thing there. 

That’s fair.  No question some of our guys give inconsistent effort and it’s frustrating.   The other thing that drives me crazy is when one of our players decides they’re going to shoot no matter what and then goes one on one and takes a bad shot.  That mindset usually leads to one of our lapses on offense.  

3 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That’s fair.  No question some of our guys give inconsistent effort and it’s frustrating.   The other thing that drives me crazy is when one of our players decided they’re going to shoot no matter what and then goes one on one and takes a bad shot.  That mindset usually leads to one of our lapses on offense.  

Yup

24 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

That’s fair.  No question some of our guys give inconsistent effort and it’s frustrating.   The other thing that drives me crazy is when one of our players decides they’re going to shoot no matter what and then goes one on one and takes a bad shot.  That mindset usually leads to one of our lapses on offense.  

Fournier and AG do this more than anyone else 

5 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

We all miss you dearly TMF! Safe travels and a win will do. Nothing less!

Awww!! Thanks Jay.tEqj21.png

We ran into a lot of turbulence from Reagan airport to Hartsfield airport in Atlanta and beyond. Things started to smooth out as we approached Florida. I was scared and prayed all the way. 

I never missed a game while I was away. I hope we can pull this one out tonight (and tomorrow night). If we don't win this one tonight, I'm pretty sure we can handle the Knicks.

So typically by the end of the season guys tend to get pretty close to hitting their typical averages. When Vucevic had a hot start last year he had a decline to normalize his shooting numbers. When Fournier had an abnormally good shooting November his numbers declined since and he should end up in the 37% orbit by the end of the year. Gordon's play recently is showing signs that he's moving in the positive direction. 

Ross isn't doing that. He's still bad. He was bad early and he's bad recently and I don't know what we're supposed to do with that. His numbers aren't normalizing

8 minutes ago, Fultz4thewin said:

So typically by the end of the season guys tend to get pretty close to hitting their typical averages. When Vucevic had a hot start last year he had a decline to normalize his shooting numbers. When Fournier had an abnormally good shooting November his numbers declined since and he should end up in the 37% orbit by the end of the year. Gordon's play recently is showing signs that he's moving in the positive direction. 

Ross isn't doing that. He's still bad. He was bad early and he's bad recently and I don't know what we're supposed to do with that. His numbers aren't normalizing

Our bench has zero scoring outside of Ross. We haven't put him in the best position to succeed. Because of this he shoots entirely too much. If we could cut down his shots maybe those handful of wtf shots would decline and better round out his averages. In order to do that we meed competent players though. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Our bench has zero scoring outside of Ross. We haven't put him in the best position to succeed. Because of this he shoots entirely too much. If we could cut down his shots maybe those handful of wtf shots would decline and better round out his averages. In order to do that we meed competent players though. 

According to Cliff he's get the exact same looks as last year

24 minutes ago, magicblue said:

According to Cliff he's get the exact same looks as last year

Last year he shot 42.4% on open and wide open threes. 

This year he's shooting 36.9% on open and wide open threes. 

Though to be fair, wide open threes accounted for 12% of his offense last year and 7% of his offense this year.