The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Nobody is arguing that. 

Playing better? Yes. Consistent? Not so much. Serious contenders? Nope. Not yet. Again, you can't lose to the Knicks and Cavs in the span of a few games and be serious contenders. In order to do that, you must solidify a playoff spot, and they have not been able to do that so far.

9 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

It's so weird that we needed 3 wins in these last 6 games to stay on schedule and we did it the most difficult way possible. 

It's the most optimistically embarassing thing my mind has ever been forced to ponder

Starting to feel less optimistic. Would love for someone to brighten my outlook. Here’s my reasoning:

We’re 3-3 since the ASB, and we did it in the most backwards way possible. Technically we’re still on track with where we need to be, but we’ve missed opportunities to advance ahead of schedule. 

The entire reason our chances of making the playoffs are so realistic is because our schedule in soft (at least in theory). The most direct way to a playoff birth was to beat all the low level teams and pick up some wins as underdogs. We’ve failed at the former thus far, but excelled at the latter. 

The problem is we’re not going to beat every remaining team that’s better than us, and now we have no reason to believe that we’ll beat all or most of the teams worse than us. Also, we don’t have enough games left against teams to steal wins from that would balance out additional bad losses. Our margin for error has shrunk because we didn’t capitalize on Chicago (led with under 5 seconds), New York (monumental 4th Q collapse), and Cleveland (no focus).

I can’t shake this feeling that we’re trending toward the most Robbins-y Robbins article of all time when the season ends. It’ll be full of quotes from Evan/Vooch lamenting missed opportunities and a ranked list of the most disappointing losses that derailed our playoff hopes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Starting to feel less optimistic. Would love for someone to brighten my outlook. Here’s my reasoning:

We’re 3-3 since the ASB, and we did it in the most backwards way possible. Technically we’re still on track with where we need to be, but we’ve missed opportunities to advance ahead of schedule. 

The entire reason our chances of making the playoffs are so realistic is because our schedule in soft (at least in theory). The most direct way to a playoff birth was to beat all the low level teams and pick up some wins as underdogs. We’ve failed at the former thus far, but excelled at the latter. 

The problem is we’re not going to beat every remaining team that’s better than us, and now we have no reason to believe that we’ll beat all or most of the teams worse than us. Also, we don’t have enough games left against teams to steal wins from that would balance out additional bad losses. Our margin for error has shrunk because we didn’t capitalize on Chicago (led with under 5 seconds), New York (monumental 4th Q collapse), and Cleveland (no focus).

I can’t shake this feeling that we’re trending toward the most Robbins-y Robbins article of all time when the season ends. It’ll be full of quotes from Evan/Vooch lamenting missed opportunities and a ranked list of the most disappointing losses that derailed our playoff hopes.

Don't assume current issues against bad teams will continue. 

Basically there's a pretty good chance the playoffs are going to come down to that final game in Charlotte. And we'll be on two days rest while they'll be playing their third game in 4 days on the second night of a road/home back to back. 

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Basically there's a pretty good chance the playoffs are going to come down to that final game in Charlotte. And we'll be on two days rest while they'll be playing their third game in 4 days on the second night of a road/home back to back. 

I concur.   It is going to be close.  The losses to Chicago, New York and Cleveland, kin light of our unexpected wins,  took away our opportunity to soidify our playoff position early.  Detroit looks in the way they are playing.  Going to be a battle for the last two postions between us, Brookyn, Miami, and Charlotte.  

Shoutout to whoever it was that responded to me with “he’s 100% playing this season” when I suggested that everyone needed to prepare themselves for no Fultz. 

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

Shoutout to whoever it was that responded to me with “he’s 100% playing this season” when I suggested that everyone needed to prepare themselves for no Fultz. 

The good news is it sounds like he's only a few weeks away. 

4 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Tissue build up on the back of his shoulder. Makes all the more sense why there would be pressure there.

I think that’s probably just the way TOS has been described to Clifford or the way he understands it. I don’t think he’s adding anything new. He’s not a medical professional and neither are Greenberg or Haywood so he’s probably just providing the simplistic answer. 

6 hours ago, Years of Tragic and Magic said:

We need to temper expectations with Fultz.  We dont even know for sure if he's damaged goods.  If his ailments are mental and he can't shake the yips we are in for a disappointing journey.

I believe Vuch is more valuable to us right now than Gordon.  Sure Gordon can be a beast defensively but he is an absolute ball hog and offense killer.  I'm growing tired of him dribbling out of control,  forcing bad shots leading to fastbreaks, and all those desperate isolation moves that only seem to rack up offensive fouls. 

Careful what you say about AG on here mate,  i'm on the same page. He's been in system long enough now hasn't improved to where we want him, his offence is brutal. However he was drafted super young so still has time on his side, but damn he's disappointed me. Not a popular opinion i know.