The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I work in a Trauma ICU primarily managing TBIs. Please, do go on telling me about the lack of dangers of brain injuries. 

Are you a physician?

1 minute ago, JJZFL said:

Are you a physician?

A residency trained ICU pharmacist who rounds daily with the critical care team. 

14 minutes ago, Magicpassion said:

Do you think we are showcasing Vuc and EF for the trade deadline? 

No I think they're just two guys who provide value in specific ways so it's in the best interest for the team if they're used like that as long as they're on the roster. Because if you make Gordon the facilitator, vucevic and Fournier become spot up shooters who aren't traditionally good defenders. Their on court contribution suffers. If you short change Gordon he's still dangerous as a cutter and valuable as a defender. 

1 minute ago, ML6 said:

A residency trained ICU pharmacist who rounds daily with the critical care team. 

I’m a physician with 25 years of experience who’s taught other physicians for decades and managed many ICU cases as the attending.  Please give me a reference to support your contention that playing after a minor TBI somehow increases risk.  UpToDate or any reputable source would be fine. Remember that the great majority of minor TBIs don’t even get hospitalized, let alone put in an ICU, especially as in this case where there was no loss of consciousness.  

4 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

Please give me a reference to support your contention that playing after a minor TBI somehow increases risk.  UpToDate or any reputable source would be fine. 

“It is likely that premature return to play, when an athlete is still symptomatic, places that athlete at great risk for subsequent injury, including recurrent concussion.”

UpToDate article entitled “Acute mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) in adults” under the return to play section. Not sure how to link it here given I access it through my VPN.

I doubt others will want to hear our pissing contest so feel free to message me if you’d like to discuss further.  The guidelines (although they’re not very good) that have been adopted across various sports for concussion and return to play assessment place a high priority on avoiding second impact syndrome, which I will admit is a fairly nebulous diagnosis with few cases. Those cases that have been reported are devastating, however. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt that suffering a second concussion while still symptomatic would worsen sequelae and increase the risk of further concussions, as that article alludes to. If you’d like to discuss primary literature I’d be happy to do so privately.

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

No I think they're just two guys who provide value in specific ways so it's in the best interest for the team if they're used like that as long as they're on the roster. Because if you make Gordon the facilitator, vucevic and Fournier become spot up shooters who aren't traditionally good defenders. Their on court contribution suffers. If you short change Gordon he's still dangerous as a cutter and valuable as a defender. 

I agree with all that but unfortunately it’s not clear to me that it results in an optimal opportunity for the team as a whole to win.  

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

“It is likely that premature return to play, when an athlete is still symptomatic, places that athlete at great risk for subsequent injury, including recurrent concussion.”

UpToDate article entitled “Acute mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) in adults” under the return to play section. Not sure how to link it here given I access it through my VPN.

I doubt others will want to hear our pissing contest so feel free to message me if you’d like to discuss further.  The guidelines (although they’re not very good) that have been adopted across various sports for concussion and return to play assessment place a high priority on avoiding second impact syndrome, which I will admit is a fairly nebulous diagnosis with few cases. Those cases that have been reported are devastating, however. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt that suffering a second concussion while still symptomatic would worsen sequelae and increase the risk of further concussions, as that article alludes to. If you’d like to discuss primary literature I’d be happy to do so privately.

He wasn’t symptomatic, as he was cleared by the team medical staff before coming back.  But I agree with you overall that this discussion isn’t if general interest at this point.  

3 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

He wasn’t symptomatic, as he was cleared by the team medical staff before coming back.  But I agree with you overall that this discussion isn’t if general interest at this point.  

He was amnestic immediately after the game telling reporters “he didn’t remember much” about it.

17 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I agree with all that but unfortunately it’s not clear to me that it results in an optimal opportunity for the team as a whole to win.  

I think it is from a perspective of "we have to play vucevic and Fournier". I don't think their presence optimizes our success. 

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I think it is from a perspective of "we have to play vucevic and Fournier". I don't think their presence optimizes our success. 

Fair enough