The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

36 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

It kind of depends on what we define franchise player as. 

Like are Tobias or Gallinari franchise players?

I think there's some evidence that Gordon can be a 20/8/4 guy but I'm not sure he's going to be a go to player at the end of games get you 40 tonight because your team needs it type of guy. 

This is essentially what I meant. 

I guess to me a true franchise player is a guy you can have on a team and he instantly makes that team pretty good. Like a .500 or close to it team worse case. If you take that guy off the team they become the Hawks. 

If you take Gordon off our team how much would our record change? Very little. 

42 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

1 team? How have they fared? I'll go out on a limb and say that philosophy has changed since Mitchell. 

Philly? 

16 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I don’t think so either but then again, we really never let him attempt to be that player. Maybe for good reason though. Maybe he’s just more of a 2nd option which I feel he is.

Gotta get that guy. Really would like DSJ. Broken record I know but get him in here and let him and AG wreck havoc. 

I mean we had this same conversation April-July 2017. Gordon is good, he can impact winning but doesn't project as a go to guy. DSJ is flawed but he's our best option to get a go to isolation player as he has enough natural ability to manufacture paths to the rim. 

It's frustrating because everyone in our draft range is exactly who we thought they would be. Isaac shows flashes of being special on defense but has limited offensive feel. Markkanen can shoot the lights out but there's some positional concern. DSJ can do things with his athleticism but has decision making issues. Ntilikina is a great defender but miscast as a point guard. 

8 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Not really. The team plays well because gobert anchors the defense. 

They just throw Mitchell at the rim 20 times a game and he's able to get buckets often enough

We are talking about structure of teams. Building around a specific player. I understand Gobert's important role but Utah is not seeking players that benefit Gobert's play style over Mitchell. Going forward they are building around Mitchell. 

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

I mean we had this same conversation April-July 2017. Gordon is good, he can impact winning but doesn't project as a go to guy. DSJ is flawed but he's our best option to get a go to isolation player as he has enough natural ability to manufacture paths to the rim. 

It's frustrating because everyone in our draft range is exactly who we thought they would be. Isaac shows flashes of being special on defense but has limited offensive feel. Markkanen can shoot the lights out but there's some positional concern. DSJ can do things with his athleticism but has decision making issues. Ntilikina is a great defender but miscast as a point guard. 

Well and I believe DSJ’s decision making is more lack of experience and guidance. Love to see what Cliff can do with him.

8 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Philly? 

Oh one of the top two big men of this generation. We would be foolish to believe we should follow Philly's footsteps on the back of Bamba.

7 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

This is essentially what I meant. 

I guess to me a true franchise player is a guy you can have on a team and he instantly makes that team pretty good. Like a .500 or close to it team worse case. If you take that guy off the team they become the Hawks. 

If you take Gordon off our team how much would our record change? Very little. 

Is Anthony Davis not a franchise player?

If we removed Gordon from the roster our record would change pretty dramatically. Vucevic with Gordon on the court has a 108.7 offensive rating and a 104.5 defensive rating. Vucevic with Gordon off the court has a 98 offensive rating and a 106.7 defensive rating. 

41 minutes ago, TheNameIsOrlando said:

Oh one of the top two big men of this generation. We would be foolish to believe we should follow Philly's footsteps on the back of Bamba.

You said who builds around big men in 2019 and I just gave an example. Never said Bamba was gonna be embid I was simply answering your question. 

44 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Is Anthony Davis not a franchise player?

If we removed Gordon from the roster our record would change pretty dramatically. Vucevic with Gordon on the court has a 108.7 offensive rating and a 104.5 defensive rating. Vucevic with Gordon off the court has a 98 offensive rating and a 106.7 defensive rating. 

I would say Davis is. If you take Davis off NO they’re probably a 10 win team. What’s our record with AG out? I know we’ve won a few games without him this year. His production isn’t irreplaceable. 

11 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

You said who builds around big men in 2019 and I just gave an example. Never said Bamba was gonna be embid I was simply answering your question. 

We were having a larger discussion about your initial post about building around Bamba. 

54 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I would say Davis is. If you take Davis off NO they’re probably a 10 win team. What’s our record with AG out? I know we’ve won a few games without him this year. His production isn’t irreplaceable. 

We're 2-2 but the wins are against the Knicks and Atlanta.

His production is pretty replaceable

It's the defense with the production that's not