The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

21 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

I guess we have him a courtesy interview and he thought he was a finalist

We have to give more time to the new GMs and try to have some stability after the constant changes in the last 5 years.

The problem is not theirs. This black hole was created exclusively by hennigan performing one of the worst 5 trades in history with ibaka for oladipo and sabonis. It set us back 5 years.

We have to stay patient and see how they draft and trade in the next couple of seasons. We were not going to be a contender this year, anyway.

So Giannis is out tonight vs. TOR due to concussion protocol. Seems reallllllllllly bad that they let him re-enter in the 4th quarter on Saturday. He also said he didn’t remember much of that game. Not a great look for the league.

42 minutes ago, ML6 said:

So Giannis is out tonight vs. TOR due to concussion protocol. Seems reallllllllllly bad that they let him re-enter in the 4th quarter on Saturday. He also said he didn’t remember much of that game. Not a great look for the league.

I don’t think it’s a big deal in terms of how the league is viewed. I’m sure they’ll be more careful in the future but it’s not like in the nfl where concussions happen to multiple players every week. Maybe they’ll implement some “go back to the lockeroom for tests thing” after a player takes contact to the head but if it’s an isolated incident I don’t see it as a huge deal. 

34 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I don’t think it’s a big deal in terms of how the league is viewed. I’m sure they’ll be more careful in the future but it’s not like in the nfl where concussions happen to multiple players every week. Maybe they’ll implement some “go back to the lockeroom for tests thing” after a player takes contact to the head but if it’s an isolated incident I don’t see it as a huge deal. 

It's a big deal.  It is exceedingly dangerous to continue to play post-concussion.  The NBA already does test like that; that's why this is concerning.  He was cleared to return to the game.

We're a small market team who hasn't found a franchise guy in 7 years.  The Bucks did find one -- the type of player that would never sign there as a free agent -- and they totally botched this and risked his health. 

• Downvote 1

Not to mention that even if he wasn't concussed, there was very little reason to put him back in.  They were up 21 with 9 minutes left and had extended the lead by 11 during his absence.  Even if they thought the chance he had a concussion was 0.01%, there's no reason to risk it there.  Just bad and dumb all around.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, ML6 said:

Not to mention that even if he wasn't concussed, there was very little reason to put him back in.  They were up 21 with 9 minutes left and had extended the lead by 11 during his absence.  Even if they thought the chance he had a concussion was 0.01%, there's no reason to risk it there.  Just bad and dumb all around.

I highly doubt they knew he had a concussion and knowingly put him back in for the reasons you stated above. Maybe their team doctor is to blame. We don’t have to worry about that because when our players have a bruise on their quad they miss 2 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, ML6 said:

It's a big deal.  It is exceedingly dangerous to continue to play post-concussion.  The NBA already does test like that; that's why this is concerning.  He was cleared to return to the game.

We're a small market team who hasn't found a franchise guy in 7 years.  The Bucks did find one -- the type of player that would never sign there as a free agent -- and they totally botched this and risked his health. 

We're not really a small market team. There's somewhere between 3-4 million people that live within an hour of the arena and our television market gets everything inside of St Petersburg to Melbourne to Jacksonville to Gainesville.

The greater San Antonio area can claim maybe 2 million people as West and South of the city are small rural towns and North and East are encroaching on Dallas and Houston territory. 

Same deal with new Orleans. An hour's drive can get you close to baton rouge or Biloxi but their footprint is only about 1.5 million people. 

3 million people live in the entire state of Utah much of that population isolated from SLC. Sacramento has a 2.5 million footprint. Milwaukee has 2 million. 

It's not like we're Chicago but we're also not Memphis

I'm not sure any of that changes my overall sentiment on the Giannis situation.  Was that market info meant as a supplement to that or taking the conversation in a new direction?  Not asking to be a dick, just not sure of your intent.

• Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, ML6 said:

I'm not sure any of that changes my overall sentiment on the Giannis situation.  Was that market info meant as a supplement to that or taking the conversation in a new direction?  Not asking to be a dick, just not sure of your intent.

New direction. I'm trying to combat the idea that we're a small market team. We were for the first half of our existence but the last 15 years this area has grown faster than the rest of the league.