The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

27 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

There's no incentive for a team to participate in a sign and trade anymore. 

I still don't trade him for a throw in. I'd rather lose him for nothing and make the playoffs then not make the playoffs but get another late first round pick to throw on the pile. 

He's not a restricted free agent so we're not going to resign him on a discount. We're going to have to pay market price for him. 

We traded JJ in a similar situation for Harris and stuff. We traded Ibaka in a similar situation for Ross and a late first. If vucevic is valuable we'll get something similar for him. If nobody is offering much for him he's not that valuable. 

If he's not that valuable we can't resign him and hope to trade him later. 

So we'll either trade him for something interesting this season or let him walk for nothing. 

So definitely do not keep him? i mean pay him and he stays on the team?

21 minutes ago, Diplo said:

We need to get one of Russell or Dinwiddie. Two PG's that are actually attainable and shouldn't be that costly

They are both expiring though so I’m sure Nets will hang onto them. They are going after a max player in off season and will want the cap space. 

8 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

So definitely do not keep him? i mean pay him and he stays on the team?

The only way I'd keep him is in a scenario where you resign him for a year and basically roll over our cap room for a year. 

He's really important now because he's handling our offensive playmaking and his offense is so good that it's covering his bad defensive games. 

But a good point guard is going to siphon off his positive value and continued offensive improvement from Isaac, Gordon, and Fournier is going to make vucevic's offense less of a necessity. 

We're probably going to run into a scenario where vucevic isn't as important to a lineup as a good defensive center. But at the same time he's being set up again to believe he's one of the best centers in the league. He's not going to happily take a bench role. And a resigned vucevic is going to be tough to move again just like he was for the past 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

They are both expiring though so I’m sure Nets will hang onto them. They are going after a max player in off season and will want the cap space. 

You could give them stuff that doesn't hurt their cap space

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

15 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

What do we have other than Ross and Vuc? Will have to consult the trade machine.

1 minute ago, DocHoliday said:

What do we have other than Ross and Vuc? Will have to consult the trade machine.

Draft picks. 

You also have to remember that Russell and dinwiddie are going to hurt their cap space next year through cap holds. 

We also could take one of their bad contracts back 

42 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Draft picks. 

You also have to remember that Russell and dinwiddie are going to hurt their cap space next year through cap holds. 

We also could take one of their bad contracts back 

Fair enough. I think Lin is possible with the Hawks tanking for Zion. 

1 minute ago, DocHoliday said:

Fair enough. I think Lin is possible with the Hawks tanking for Zion. 

Lin doesn't really fit what we want from our point guards. Don't need another stop gap. Augustin is playing up to expectations. Grant sucks at point guard related things but he does defend. Need an upgrade that can defend. 

10 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Lin doesn't really fit what we want from our point guards. Don't need another stop gap. Augustin is playing up to expectations. Grant sucks at point guard related things but he does defend. Need an upgrade that can defend. 

I feel like Grant would be better as a back up 2. I think I might prefer him to Simmons right now.