The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

No. But they also weren't during a stretch where they're 10 and 4. 

Charlotte has lost 8 of their last 11. Brooklyn has lost 9 of their last 13

Miami has lost 10 of their last 14

Another very good point here. Is it safe to say that Detroit is a lock for a playoff spot or will they eventually struggle too before it's all said and done ? Also I'm not sure if they have lost to some poor teams during their hot stretch ? I know they destroyed the Cavs the night before we played them.

3 minutes ago, MagicOne said:

Somebody made an interesting point here last night when they said that perhaps the Cavs match up well against us much like we do versus the Raptors. They said that we barely beat them in Orlando earlier this year. Surely there has to be some truth to that ?

Not really. I think teams just have periods when they exhale against bad teams. It's why we've never won 10 games in a row in franchise history. 

The Chicago loss came after 5 wins in a row. The Knicks loss came after a big win in Toronto. The Cavs loss came after two significant wins. I've watched about a dozen games where Golden State almost loses to crappy teams only for them to wake up in the last 4 minutes. 

We're just not good enough to win on a talent discrepancy. 

1 minute ago, MagicOne said:

Another very good point here. Is it safe to say that Detroit is a lock for a playoff spot or will they eventually struggle too before it's all said and done ? Also I'm not sure if they have lost to some poor teams during their hot stretch ? I know they destroyed the Cavs the night before we played them.

Detroit is good, their schedule is easy, and they have several veterans who have played on playoff teams. They'll be the 6 seed. 

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Detroit is good, their schedule is easy, and they have several veterans who have played on playoff teams. They'll be the 6 seed. 

They are 10-3 in their last 13 games. In that stretch they beat the Knicks twice as well as the Cavs and Hawks. Their only losses came to the Clippers, Celtics, and Spurs. I guess you can look at that two ways. One, they took care of business versus poor teams. And two, they really haven't beaten quality teams during that stretch like we have in pretty much that same timeframe. They do have a brutal 5 game road trip mid to late March where they play 5 games in 8 days. The last three are against the Blazers, Warriors, and Nuggets. They also play Portland, Oklahoma City, Toronto, and Indiana twice.

5 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

The time for concern is if we lose to Dallas and Memphis regardless of what happens tomorrow

Yes. Agreed. Like I said earlier, we really must clean up on these top half of remaining games and perhaps build a little cushion in that 7th or 8th spot. That will leave a little more room for error in the bottom half of remaining games.

5 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

I never thought we’d see Fultz his year but there’s so much inconsistencies with this injury. It’s a little concerning.

It's probably a safe bet to assume that he won't be coming back to play this season. Would be great if he did though.

1 hour ago, ?4thewin said:

Not really. I think teams just have periods when they exhale against bad teams. It's why we've never won 10 games in a row in franchise history. 

The Chicago loss came after 5 wins in a row. The Knicks loss came after a big win in Toronto. The Cavs loss came after two significant wins. I've watched about a dozen games where Golden State almost loses to crappy teams only for them to wake up in the last 4 minutes. 

We're just not good enough to win on a talent discrepancy. 

When we lose to the bad teams, we go back to old habits of settling with bad shots, though I admit it is becoming much less.

Also - we win when we penetrate and kick out. 

When our offense is bad, it tends to result in bad defense.

AG saves is because even with bad offense, his defense stays solid. I think we win last night if we went with Isaac over Ross. Clifford bet on the wrong player thinking we needed offense to win the game. 

Did anyone see the end of the Hawks/Heat game tonight ? The Hawks made two free throws to cut the lead down to 1 at 114-113 with about 9 or 10 seconds remaining in the game. Then for some strange reason they all stood and watched while Miami ran out the clock. Absolutely no attempt was made to foul at any time. Then when the game was over they were all smiles and hugging D-Wade. Something sure didn't smell right about the whole thing.