The Neighborhood Bully

2018-19 Official Season Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

Writer is mistaken. Fournier has been surprisingly effective in defense so far this year. 

Fournier's man has only scored 29 points so far this year. That's very few points

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Writer is mistaken. Fournier has been surprisingly effective in defense so far this year. 

Fournier's man has only scored 29 points so far this year. That's very few points

The link below shows Fournier with a defensive rating of 110.1, ranked #256, and Vuch with a defensive rating of 111.3, ranked #268.

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*15&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

3 minutes ago, The Neighborhood Bully said:

The link below shows Fournier with a defensive rating of 110.1, ranked #256, and Vuch with a defensive rating of 111.3, ranked #268.

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*15&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

The link below shows players Fournier defends are shooting 25.7% this year

https://on.nba.com/2z20hKd

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/off-day-debate-should-the-orlando-magic-target-terry-rozier/ar-BBOQkha

not sure if someone posted this article here yet so I apologize if so.

My only concern with Rozier is exactly what the article mentions of him in the last 3 paragraphs. 

He will be a good option for us but not at a max deal. He is not worth a max deal in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/off-day-debate-should-the-orlando-magic-target-terry-rozier/ar-BBOQkha

not sure if someone posted this article here yet so I apologize if so.

My only concern with Rozier is exactly what the article mentions of him in the last 3 paragraphs. 

He will be a good option for us but not at a max deal. He is not worth a max deal in my opinion. 

Worth is subjective. If you think Rozier is likely going to be a top 12 point guard, he fits your philosophy, that Rozier can't be 90% replicated by delon wright or someone that makes 10 million less, and that Rozier-Fournier-Isaac-Gordon-Bamba (plus bench stuff) is close to a short term finished product you pay him. 

If you think Rozier is the guy at 18 million, the additional 9 million shouldn't matter that much. But I think it matters more what you think of the rest of the team than what you think of Rozier. Because you don't want to take a big money chance on a guy to end up as the 10th seed. 

Rozier is not very high on my list at all. We need a shooter. His season best EFG% is 49.1% last year, which puts him in the bottom 3rd for efficiency in the league. And we need a facilitator. He only had an assist rate of 17.5%, which is pretty low for a pg. Just for reference, Augustin's assist rate last year was 24.4% and I don't think anyone really thinks of Augustin as a facilitator.

I think he gets overrated because he is on Boston and they were able to continue to win with him as a starter and he had some big games in the playoffs. I think at best he is a similar caliber player to a young Brandon Jennings. I guess I am just not buying into the Rozier hype at all. If we don't have to give up/pay a lot to get him, I don't mind giving him the chance as we don't have point guards that are long term solutions on our squad and he is still relatively young and he has flashed some ability. But we shouldn't put all of our eggs in the Rozier basket.

2 minutes ago, Odin said:

Rozier is not very high on my list at all. We need a shooter. His season best EFG% is 49.1% last year, which puts him in the bottom 3rd for efficiency in the league. And we need a facilitator. He only had an assist rate of 17.5%, which is pretty low for a pg. Just for reference, Augustin's assist rate last year was 24.4% and I don't think anyone really thinks of Augustin as a facilitator.

I think he gets overrated because he is on Boston and they were able to continue to win with him as a starter and he had some big games in the playoffs. I think at best he is a similar caliber player to a young Brandon Jennings. I guess I am just not buying into the Rozier hype at all. If we don't have to give up/pay a lot to get him, I don't mind giving him the chance as we don't have point guards that are long term solutions on our squad and he is still relatively young and he has flashed some ability. But we shouldn't put all of our eggs in the Rozier basket.

That's fair. Though I think there's a considerable difference between Rozier as a bench player and Rozier as a starter. 

And a lot of his value comes from projecting. That 8 game stretch in the playoffs where Boston went 7-1 and he averaged 18 7 and 5 on 46/40/81 shooting might be an indicator of something more. 

And he's a really streaky player where he'll put up 33 points, 5 steals, and 8 threes against Sacramento but then goes 2 for 12 against Washington. 

So was he a third year player struggling through a new role but flashing enormous potential? Or was he new Reggie Jackson?

Thoughts on D’Angelo Russell? I feel like he fits out timeline and has some scoring upside. We could probably get him cheaper than rozier

5 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

Thoughts on D’Angelo Russell? I feel like he fits out timeline and has some scoring upside. We could probably get him cheaper than rozier

He had 12 games last year where he averaged 21 and 6 on 47% shooting. He was injured. Then he came back and averaged 13.7 and 5 on 39% shooting 

So far this season he's averaging 13.3 ppg and 6.5 assists on 35% shooting.

He's an average shooter. He's an above average but not great passer. He's bad on defense. He's inefficient and doesn't make up for that inefficiency with volume. 

I'm not sure what value he brings. Though he's still just 22 so maybe he improves. We can probably trade for him this season with a second rounder if we really want to test him out in a low risk setting. I think right now I prefer delon wright and tyus Jones to him. 

51 minutes ago, WarDamnMagic said:

I'd rather have Rozier