magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Imagine thinking defensive win shares was a measure of defensive ability. You can't even articulate what defensive win shares measure

You naming instances when he shut guys down means nothing. You could just as easily find instances when he got lit up. You chose not to which is fine. 

2 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Also, it’s not like I said I don’t think AG is a good defender. I literally said he’s overrated defensively and also said that could be due to poor coaching. 

He’s literally the one person you can’t say anything negative about on here. Ever since we drafted him. He’s gets a pass on everything. It’s really strange. 

This is also what you do. Whenever someone challenges you and you can't come up with a compelling argument to dispute it you pretend to be a victim of overzealous fans. 

34 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Yea he is and that’s why he’ll be making 80 million more dollars than Exum. 

But why even pay him anything? Even you said it. Dude has been injured his entire career so far and does tip the scales. You're paying for a very small sample size.  Very small.

5 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

You naming instances when he shut guys down means nothing. You could just as easily find instances when he got lit up. You chose not to which is fine. 

Giannis and Durant were the guys he couldn't defend. He gave up points to guys like Jalen Jones or RHJ (and those types of guys) which isn't really a statement on ability, more focus issues that he needs to work on. If you stick him on good players he locks in. If you stick him on bad players he falls asleep

Just now, ?4thewin said:

This is also what you do. Whenever someone challenges you and you can't come up with a compelling argument to dispute it you pretend to be a victim of overzealous fans. 

Lol whatever you say master. 

I did come up with an argument. You pick instances that fit your argument but you could just as easily pull up instances that go against it. Like games where AG wasn’t good defensively and did give up a lot of points. 

You think all of your arguments are compelling because you know how to use google. Congrats. 

But, again, nothing Ill can be spoken of AG on here. If it is, be prepared for what’s to come.

• Like 1

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Giannis and Durant were the guys he couldn't defend. He gave up points to guys like Jalen Jones or RHJ (and those types of guys) which isn't really a statement on ability, more focus issues that he needs to work on. If you stick him on good players he locks in. If you stick him on bad players he falls asleep

Ok and this is why I said coaching should fix some of his issues. I literally said In my original post that Clifford should be great for him to care more on that end all the time not just when he chooses. 

2 minutes ago, Magicman28 said:

But why even pay him anything? Even you said it. Dude has been injured his entire career so far and does tip the scales. You're paying for a very small sample size.  Very small.

Because I think the upside could be there. It’s a risk I’ve said that all a long. What if he does turn the corner though? All the sudden our team looks really good for the future. 

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

And the choice isn't exum or not exum. It's exum or every other option this year at point guard as well as diminished abilities to resign future players over the next two years. 

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

And the choice isn't exum or not exum. It's exum or every other option this year at point guard as well as diminished abilities to resign future players over the next two years. 

There’s really no other PG that remotely interest me. Van Fleet doesn’t get me excited at all. I would assume just keep DJ and sign a G-League backup rather tie up any money in a backup player like Fleet. 

57 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Because I think the upside could be there. It’s a risk I’ve said that all a long. What if he does turn the corner though? All the sudden our team looks really good for the future. 

But you have guys who are safer bets. I mean DJ isn't ideal by any means but I know he's healthy, can shoot, and at times can be relied to assist. Better off saving the money than dampening future abilities to pay for someone like a vet who we know what we get.

Just now, HeHateMe said:

There’s really no other PG that remotely interest me. Van Fleet doesn’t get me excited at all. I would assume just keep DJ and sign a G-League backup rather tie up any money in a backup player like Fleet. 

That's fair. And that's kind of where I'm at with exum too. 

It's why I think our best case scenario is pushing for a Delon Wright trade. All the exum upside with actual meaningful performance and a year of evaluation before we waste money on him

Again, I think we really only have the opportunity to go after one of the (possibly starting level) FA point guards this year as we really only have the MLE to offer. One shot. So the team has to pick carefully who they target.

Which is why I think we need to focus on VanVleet. He seems to be by far the best option. He can shoot. He can pass a little (5.8 assists/36 minutes). Toronto is less likely to match a larger offer. His defense won't kill us. At worse, I think he gives us Simmons quality performance- which means that if he doesn't work out as a starting PG, he might still work as a very good back up player. I don't know if you offer him the full MLE, but maybe can do a 28/4 contract.

Otherwise, I think we need to either trade, or wait for next year. I wouldn't be devastated if we decided to offer Exum a contract, but I think we are potentially getting the same spacing issues with Exum that we had with Payton, just without the passing ability and the crappy defense.