magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

16 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Why not just run this year with DJ and some G-League backup PG? I don’t see the need In forcing it. Yea we need a PG for the future but if nothing presents itself this summer that makes sense I’m fine addressing that next draft/summer. 

I’d rather that then throw multiple year deals at a guy who might be average. 

agreed, feeling secure at 2,3,4, and 5 has me wanting to be super patient about picking up the right point guard. That position could be the final large missing piece, why get strapped in so fast. Can't fix all our problems in one off season. Retaining flexibility should be paramount here.

2 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

Great post and I agree.  He was listed as an SF but did exactly what you describe in college.  Probably a year or two away but worth trying to develop him as our PG. That would be a dream come true.

Not opposed to the idea, definitely would be interesting. Also means that Melvin would have more minutes at the position seeing as he wouldn't be competing with Iwundu. I was looking forward to that battle actually see who was hungrier. 

thought it was posted here; but I don't think so. Calathes is a real option. Can't shoot for **** but is a great facilitator.

Here's the translation of the tweet.

"The General Manager of Orlando Magic, John Hammond, attended this year's Panathinaikos match with Real Madrid in Oaka, next to the "green" bench. I'm expecting his move for the Florida Kid, Nick Calathes."

And then this article was written...

http://nba.sport24.gr/article/5239869/o-teodosic-i-upomoni-tou-kalathi-kai-oi-orlando-magic

Somewhere here is the name of Nick Calathes, who avoided answering Panathinaikos' proposal (6,500,000 euros for a three-year contract), as his goal is to return to the NBA three years after his departure from the Grizzlies. Then, in the summer of 2015, the Memphis team had submitted the qualifying offer of $1,147,276 to the international point guard who wanted to return to Europe and did it. Now Calathes wants to redeem his great year at EuroLeague with a good deal at the NBA, where he feels he can play at a competitive level in the most productive phase of his career and is trying to gain time that Panathinaikos has difficulty in give it.

Calathes knows that in the summer of 2016 Sergio Rodriguez got 8,000,000 from the 76ers and in the summer of 2017 Milos Teodosic signed for 6,000,000 at the Clippers. And that is why it is aimed at a sum similar to what the Spanish and the Serb have secured. Timing looks great for him, both because the free agent point guards 'tank' has not a lot of talent, but because he is 29 years old, comes from the best year of his career, he is considered an excellent two-way ace who can play great personal defense, create, penetrate, score. He has matured as a leader, he is very experienced, terribly competitive, while in the USA everyone is aware of his tenure at Florida University, they respect him and recognize his quality.

Opponents of Brandon Knight (Bucks), Reggie Jackson (Thunder), Jose Calderon (Mavericks), Jeff Teague (Hawks), Kyrie Irving (Cavaliers), John Wall (Wizards), Jameer Nelson (Magic) 10.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, 6.3 assists and 2.6 steals (!) every 36 minutes. It was a small but excellent example of what Calathes could offer to the Grizzlies, but they had to support Mike Conley and they did. At the moment, however, Calathes' "shares" are certainly higher than those of Rodriguez in the summer of 2016 and Teodosic in the summer of 2017.

Calathes knows that with the current data, on a "tough" market that has too many "heavy" payrolls, the 6,000,000 target is a good number that reflects the figures we have already mentioned. If there is a group that currently looks like a possible destination, this is Magic. Calathes was born and raised in Casselberry, a suburb of Orlando, played at the Lake Howell High School in the city and then found at the University of Florida based in Gainesville. Although everyone was expecting Magic to target a point guard at NBA Draft 2018, General Manager John Hammond did what he did to Milwaukee Bucks. He invested in length and size, took the beastly Mohamed Bamba, filled the front line in which there are Nikola Vucevic, Bismack Biyombo, Khem Birch (one of the first two will be given an exchange) and left "naked" the position of the ace in which there is only DJ Augustin who can not stand as a key player. A space in the salary cap is there, Hammond watched Calathes in the EuroLeague second playoffs just next to Panathinaikos' bench and saw him score 12 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals against Luka Doncic who scored 8 points in 27 minutes, all from line of shots. Let Mike Batiste, who followed Steve Clifford from Charlotte to Orlando, is working on Magic...

Note : Magic can "cut off" until Monday (25/6) point guard Shelvin Mack by giving him only $ 1,000,000 to save the remaining 5,000,000 in the 2018/19 period.

For now, however, Nick does not have a proposal as the League teams are forbidden to approach any free agent before July 1 (and sign it before July 6, when the moratorium expires). The ace of Panathinaikos must play the game of patience (like Nikola Milutinov, the case of which is of course very different) from the moment he wants to exhaust the margins and for this reason he avoids giving a clear answer to Panathinaikos who in turn can not wait for him ... always. Calathes does with logic and not with emotion, he knows that in his 29 he is in the best of his career spiritually and physically and will not bring us the slightest surprise if we see him returning to his home, even with a contract larger than what it is aimed at.

I don't think he'll be a starter, but definitely on our bench.

Just now, Malik Buttface said:

Not opposed to the idea, definitely would be interesting. Also means that Melvin would have more minutes at the position seeing as he wouldn't be competing with Iwundu. I was looking forward to that battle actually see who was hungrier. 

They are both playing in the summer league so we might find out soon.  How interesting would a Iwunda at PG, Melvin at 2, Jackson at 3, Isaac at 4 and Bamba at 5 be to watch.

6 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

thought it was posted here; but I don't think so. Calathes is a real option. Can't shoot for **** but is a great facilitator.

Here's the translation of the tweet.

And then this article was written...

http://nba.sport24.gr/article/5239869/o-teodosic-i-upomoni-tou-kalathi-kai-oi-orlando-magic

I don't think he'll be a starter, but definitely on our bench.

Tbf he was probably at Panathinikos vs Real Madrid to watch Luka Doncic. Though I suppose it's possible he could have been impressed by Calathes.

15 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's here. Article in Greek but when it translates you can kind of make out the story linking us to him.

Yeah, the translation is a little difficult to make sense of, but definitely looks like we might have some interest. 

2 minutes ago, MagicFan1234 said:

Not surprised so we need a back up point guard now

Not overwhelmingly surprised, though I thought Mack did a reasonable job backing up both the 1&2 at times. Not great, but not horrible most of the time. I actually though he and DJ played well together. 

1 minute ago, Nyce_1 said:

aaaaand we only have 1 PG. STRAP IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still think Magic is going to trade Nikola for a point guard or sign one in free agency

1 minute ago, MagicFan1234 said:

I still think Magic is going to trade Nikola for a point guard or sign one in free agency

If we could trade straight up Nic for Jeremy Lin, I would be ecstatic, assuming he is fully healthy again. 

• Upvote 1