magicdoc1

2018 Official Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. Just rolling with Augustin isn't ideal. But it's better than getting a bad starting point guard that takes shots away from the other guys. Need to make a smart decision. Use Augustin as a way to avoid desperation moves, not as an excuse to avoid improvement. 

This exactly. Don't do something stupid like offer Exum 4 year 60 million or something because "we need a pg". If we try for Van Vleet and he goes elsewhere pick up like Devin Harris or something on a cheap 1 year deal and keep our options open trade wise.

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

This exactly. Don't do something stupid like offer Exum 4 year 60 million or something because "we need a pg". If we try for Van Vleet and he goes elsewhere pick up like Devin Harris or something on a cheap 1 year deal and keep our options open trade wise.

I’d roll the dice on Exum for 15. 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Well the most we can offer is something like 4/36

What if we got Vuch and Fournier off the books? 

Ehh doesn’t matter really Utah would match anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Odin said:

Why do you prefer old, washed up and broken down point guards that can't play defense? Those pickups would be against everything our team is building towards and outside of our timeline. Not to mention I have no faith in their ability to produce at even a back up level. Overall, we should be aiming for young PGs with potential, not old PGs on the downswing (both of whom who also seem to be bad locker room presences now).

I definitely have some concerns about Exum, especially due to his injuries. However, his performance at the end of the regular season last year was promising- even if it was a small sample size. He also will only be 23 next year, which fits into our timeline for players. Finally, his size fits into our team build, and his defensive stats were actually fairly impressive in those 14 regular season games he played. According to 82games, he had the second largest positive impact on Utah after Golbert, and NBA's tracking stats have him as holding opposing players to 9.2% under their normal shooting percentages.

Obviously VanVleet is my preferred option, as he is more proven (Exum was a train wreck before this last season), because I think we are more likely able to get him base on monetary considerations (I.E. Toronto will be less likely to match a high offer, as they are already in the luxury tax), and he is a better shooter. But Exum might not be a bad pick up either. A riskier pick up, but one still with some potential.

We need to pick one though and aim at them. If we fail to get one, I think our best option is to find a young guy to put on a short- prove it deal to back up Augustin for next season.

My thought was that I don't really see our long-term solution at PG as being available this year, so if we are going to pick up someone in the interim, Thomas and/or Rose both are in a position to have something to prove and might be both available and amenable to a one year deal to "prove it" to the rest of the league. Both are only 29, which should be the prime of their careers, and would really want to option to excel so they can get bigger FA deals next summer with less questions about them going forward. Rose actually had a decent year in Minn, but they have too much offence for him to be showcased, we don't. Same with Thomas, we can use the offense, and both are actually decent distributors. Yes, Thomas' defense is questionable, but I think it is still better than Payton's was. 

4 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

My thought was that I don't really see our long-term solution at PG as being available this year, so if we are going to pick up someone in the interim, Thomas and/or Rose both are in a position to have something to prove and might be both available and amenable to a one year deal to "prove it" to the rest of the league. Both are only 29, which should be the prime of their careers, and would really want to option to excel so they can get bigger FA deals next summer with less questions about them going forward. Rose actually had a decent year in Minn, but they have too much offence for him to be showcased, we don't. Same with Thomas, we can use the offense, and both are actually decent distributors. Yes, Thomas' defense is questionable, but I think it is still better than Payton's was. 

I think Exum could be. But we’d be betting on his production late last year not being a fluke and a sign of him continuing to get better. But Utah most likely matches anything within reason for him so probably wouldn’t matter. They do have Rubio though who their fan base loves. 

1 minute ago, Magicman28 said:

I'm going to stand by my prediction that we trade for a PG, not sign one. But what do i know?

I think we'll do both

33 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yeah. Just rolling with Augustin isn't ideal. But it's better than getting a bad starting point guard that takes shots away from the other guys. Need to make a smart decision. Use Augustin as a way to avoid desperation moves, not as an excuse to avoid improvement. 

Yeah, I think WeHam are too methodical in their ways to just throw money at a PG just because it's been a glaring issue for years as well as bet the farm on a trade for one either. So riding out Augustin isn't an unexpected move.