Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Tank Vogel said:

If his IQ was as great as we talk about on here he wouldnt have bricked so many long 3s and turned it over that much

i can't defend the shot selection, but that can be coached away. You can still have high IQ and do dumb **** on the court. 

high TOs....meh. without knowing the context of the turnovers, who's fault, what was the play, what was the situation, i don't care about them. with his usage and their offensive scheme built around him, i'd expect that from a young player. he's still learning the game and figuring out what he can get away with. in 2-3 yrs, I think he'll be top 15 PG in the league. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Magicfan1987 said:

Listen to The Trae Young Podcast w/ Cole Zwicker by Sam Vecenie #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/the-trae-young-podcast-w-cole

I did when it came out. I think Cole overvalues archetype and doesn't prioritise the full gamut of career outcomes enough. A symptom of this is having Carter over Ayton and jontay Porter in the top 12. He has issues projecting reasonable improvement which is why the heavily skilled guys are more heavily weighted on his board over the natural talent guys that haven't put things together

2 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Holy ****, the Sixers have 2 first rounders and 4 (!) second rounders

Kind of dumb though. At some point second rounders have diminishing returns. They have 11 guys on contract and two high level stashes already. Need to spread out those picks over the next 5 years

There's a weird situation brewing in the draft community where analytic based guys have swung too far to the dark side and there's a race to see how much they can **** on Ayton by having him outside of their top 10 by basically ignoring the eye test entirely. 

Meanwhile ryen russillo says when he asks some GM's who they have going #1 overall, doncic or Ayton, they laugh at him and say it's Ayton 100% and everyone who says doncic are just overthinking things. 

And while I have Ayton third, I can't help but think 82.1% shooting at the rim is something you need to bet on. Especially considering he's mobile enough to defend on the perimeter and hits 73% of his free throws. 

So basically there's about to be a reckoning. Somebody's going to be embarrassingly wrong. 

17 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

There's a weird situation brewing in the draft community where analytic based guys have swung too far to the dark side and there's a race to see how much they can **** on Ayton by having him outside of their top 10 by basically ignoring the eye test entirely. 

Meanwhile ryen russillo says when he asks some GM's who they have going #1 overall, doncic or Ayton, they laugh at him and say it's Ayton 100% and everyone who says doncic are just overthinking things. 

And while I have Ayton third, I can't help but think 82.1% shooting at the rim is something you need to bet on. Especially considering he's mobile enough to defend on the perimeter and hits 73% of his free throws. 

So basically there's about to be a reckoning. Somebody's going to be embarrassingly wrong. 

Ayton is way too skilled to fall below 3 or so. He has the athleticism to be elite on both sides, and a team is just going to need to gamble on him wanting to put the effort in on that end. If he does bring it on the defensive end in the NBA, he won't be the first player to be better defensively in the NBA than in college. I think to some degree he is like Ben Simmons- just going through the motions to some degree in college, waiting for the NBA. Ben Simmons was lambasted for his defensive laziness too in college, but was very good this year in the NBA.

However, I am a strong believer that defense is at least 50% effort, and players that put in that effort while in college are more likely to put in that effort when they reach the NBA.

All that said, you are probably getting a KAT type player out of him, and I think everyone here and on teams picking above us would take that type of player immediately, even with all of his flaws.

Heck, Ayton just had a statistically better college career than KAT in almost all elements of the game. I think it is just conversation fatigue. Ayton has been #1 basically the whole year, so media has had more time to pick at all of his flaws. He is no longer new or exciting for analysts, no longer the "sexy" or "surprising" pick to put #1. We see the same thing almost every year, and almost every year we see the player who was consensus #1 prior to the nitpicking going #1 in the draft. The only time I can think of in the past few years where there wasn't much nitpicking was when Anthony Davis was picked, and the only time the consensus #1 wasn't picked first was when Cleveland took Bennett and left us with Oladipo.