Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, ?4thewin said:

Not in the way they play, no.  

Let’s compare a traditional 3/D wing player to a versatile combo forward. Seems about right. 

7 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

For someone who says he has a clue about back injuries, that is not how Porter Jrs injury works. But okay. 

I already linked an article how he was playing with it for almost two years...But he was clearly struggling to lace em up

If his injury/surgery was just minor then why did he have to sit out the entire season?

I wouldn't even begin to debate back injuries/surgeries with someone that gets their information from articles. I personally know MANY people that have had back injuries and surgeries of all types and not a single one of them was one and done. More surgeries, complications from scar tissue and calcium deposits, ongoing therapy, all very common. Add in the rigors of training and playing basketball and he is high risk to miss a lot of games. I get that you are really high on the guy and you get that I am not. If we don't take him and he becomes a star I won't feel bad because we will also have taken a good player. If we take him and he spends most of his time in street clothes how will you feel about the pick? We already have Isaac as our designated injury risk and 1 on the team is enough at this point of our rebuild!

36 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

For someone who says he has a clue about back injuries, that is not how Porter Jrs injury works. But okay. 

I already linked an article how he was playing with it for almost two years...But he was clearly struggling to lace em up

The injury he was playing with was probably a bulge 

Just now, ?4thewin said:

I mean this entire argument is based on a presumption of health.  I'm not presuming porter is 100%. I'm considering him basically how teams considered Harry Giles until I have some information that changes things.  He starts dominating workouts and his medicals check out and it changes things.  But right now he looked like completely different player than he was in high school.  

yeah it was sad to 

17 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

I also think tanking is bad for the league and would love to see it solved.  But, as of now, tanking is popular among owners of teams not doing well.  Five teams this year alone, one of which got fined.  The League has done a terrible job addressing the problem.  Probably because the lottery setup is a cash bonanza with ratings and PR benefits.  Tanking will continue, and fans will expect it if their teams have no chance at the playoffs.  Why, because the reward is worth the risk.  The facts back up the fact that if you finish in the top 3, or if your odds increase the fact that you will get a top 3 pick, your team, more than likely, ends up with a really good player.  Not all but more All Stars come out of the top 3 picks than  all the rest of the picks.  Next year's changes will not stop tanking.  They may change how you tank but the top 3 picks will still have the best chance at getting the best picks.  If we are truly tanking this year, and it appears we are, I applaud that move because of our unique circumstances this year (injuries).  I think it should be a thought out process balancing building a winning culture, developing your young players, and adding talent through the draft.  Because of our salary cap restrictions, the draft this year is our best avenue to build a better team.  A year or two from now it might be different as salary cap sapce become available.  But tnking this year is a great move!

I don’t entirely agree with you about tanking.  But I respect your reasoning, so +1 from me. 

At this point, the season is almost over anyway, so any discussion about our strategy for the rest of this year will soon be moot. 

I think one thing many of us can agree on is that we don’t want to be having this same discussion 2-3 years from now.  At some point, I think almost everyone wants the tanking/losing to stop. 

24 minutes ago, ROCK LEGENDS PHOTOGRAPHERS said:

If his injury/surgery was just minor then why did he have to sit out the entire season?

I wouldn't even begin to debate back injuries/surgeries with someone that gets their information from articles. I personally know MANY people that have had back injuries and surgeries of all types and not a single one of them was one and done. More surgeries, complications from scar tissue and calcium deposits, ongoing therapy, all very common. Add in the rigors of training and playing basketball and he is high risk to miss a lot of games. I get that you are really high on the guy and you get that I am not. If we don't take him and he becomes a star I won't feel bad because we will also have taken a good player. If we take him and he spends most of his time in street clothes how will you feel about the pick? We already have Isaac as our designated injury risk and 1 on the team is enough at this point of our rebuild!

There's nothing wrong with reading articles from good sources if the alternative is wild speculation. I wanted to know about the injury, outcomes, and types of treatments. Is your question a serious one? why does any athlete sit out for weeks/months after any surgery??? 

Again, you are just speculating here without actually knowing what the injury is and how it is treated. So what if you know so many people? What does that have to do with this? 

This is only relevant because MP was arguably the #1 player before his injury, before he even stepped foot on campus. He does have a unique blend of skills and size that you just don't see all the time, and that's worth a gamble. If his back checks out, I'm totally cool with selecting him. He could be our scorer from day one, and he'll fit in perfectly with AG and Isaac because he can play up or down. 

25 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

This is only relevant because MP was arguably the #1 player

So were harry giles, skal labissiere, jahlil okafor, mudiay, Shabazz Muhammad, nerlens noel, Harrison barnes, derreck favors,  oj mayo, Josh mcroberts, Martell Webster, eddy curry, and dajuan wagner

10 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

average Orlando basketball fan likely doesn't keep up with Euroleague ball

Yup. And I could also call you a typical Trae Young homer, but I'm not. Luka is the top prospect to probably ever come out of europe.

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

So were harry giles, skal labissiere, jahlil okafor, mudiay, Shabazz Muhammad, nerlens noel, Harrison barnes, derreck favors,  oj mayo, Josh mcroberts, Martell Webster, eddy curry, and dajuan wagner

oh that's cute, how long did it take you to come up with that list? I imagine it took a few minutes since you had to pick and choose to make whatever point you're trying to make.  

what is your point any way, that not all prospects turn out? because that's groundbreaking stuff, brother!

I don't remember any time that Josh McRoberts was going to be the #1 pick in the draft. And just to check he got drafted in the 2nd round. So I don't know what you're thinking, nor the purpose of this list. 

2 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

oh that's cute, how long did it take you to come up with that list? I imagine it took a few minutes since you had to pick and choose to make whatever point you're trying to make.  

what is your point any way, that not all prospects turn out? because that's groundbreaking stuff, brother!

If you want to disagree, fine.  But if you're going to be patronizing you can go somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1