Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

5 minutes ago, Odin said:

Yeah, the more I look into Doncic's numbers, the more ridiculous the kid seems.

He just turned 19 and is already the best player on the best team in Spain, and one of the best teams in all of Europe (although they are 4th in the Euroleague).

He is probably the best player outside of America right now.

And it should be noted that he plays on a team that has a decent number of seasoned ex-nba players on it.

Rudy Fernandez- played about 250 games in the NBA

Anthony Randolph- played about 250 games in the NBA

Gustavo Ayon (remember him?)- 135 games in the NBA

Jeff Taylor- played about 130 games in the NBA

Trey Tompkins- Played 25 games in the NBA

Walter Taylor- 13 games in the NBA

Yeah, these players were role players at best in the NBA, but Doncic is already better than all of them. The average level of competition he faces is probably higher than college players.

On a European team, he is averaging 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 4.5 assists in 25 minutes on 46/31/80 shooting splits. (The three point shooting is the only thing that really stands out as needing some work, but his stroke is fine from what I have seen).

Per 36, that is 22 points 7.6 rebounds and 6.6 assists. (And 1.5 steals, which isn't bad at all).

For reference, Porzingis averaged 11 points 4.5 rebounds 1 steal 1 block in 21 minutes on 50/36/75 shooting. Per 36 that was 18.5 points  7.7 rebounds 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks.

I don't know if you can tell, but he is who I want the most right now.

To add to this.

Eric green averaged 25 in the ACC his senior year. 

Deshaun Thomas averaged 20 in the big 10

Pierre Jackson averaged 20 in the big 12. 

All are now in their prime.  Doncic is outscoring them all in the euroleague

• Like 1

Just now, Originalticketholder said:

During last nights game it showed  a stat on mario when playing over 25 or 30 minutes per game and starting.  It showed him averaging over 20 points per game if i recollect correctly.  AND this is like he is playing his first year.  Biz got $17 million on a "I am taking you on a flier".  Fortunately there are less teams and less money floating around this year.   So I hope you are right.  But if people on this site are "hoping against hope" that Mario resigns with us for a "lower than what he is worth" figure don't you think some NBA FO's have figured that out too.  I think our FO has a chance on selling him on the Magic.  But I think WE will have to sell him to stay.  I would love to see him get minutes at the 2 in the next few games.  Start him there.  I would also love to know his opiniom on Vogel!!!

You know I was commenting about Nerlens Noel, right?

3 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

To add to this.

Eric green averaged 25 in the ACC his senior year. 

Deshaun Thomas averaged 20 in the big 10

Pierre Jackson averaged 20 in the big 12. 

All are now in their prime.  Doncic is outscoring them all in the euroleague

He basically has the best stats of any (easily searchable) player before being drafted from Europe to the NBA, at least that I could find in my cursory search.

We are talkiing about pick 1 or 2 now.  Could we be tanking!!!!!  Not so fast my friends.  I am not convinced.  Dallas last night played their starters 20-24 minutes for the entire game with the reserves playing the rest, Hawks played reserves for the most part.  That is how you tank.  We played ours >30 minutes.   Hard to lose to reserves when you play starters!

Just now, Originalticketholder said:

We are talkiing about pick 1 or 2 now.  Could we be tanking!!!!!  Not so fast my friends.  I am not convinced.  Dallas last night played their starters 20-24 minutes for the entire game with the reserves playing the rest, Hawks played reserves for the most part.  That is how you tank.  We played ours >30 minutes.   Hard to lose to reserves when you play starters!

And how many players on either of those teams do you think they are looking to keep long term?

Not that we have many, but if you want to keep Mario and want to show him that he is wanted and respected, you don't shove him to the end of the bench. Same with Gordon. Even though we can match anything, you don't piss off players who you hope will be around for a while.

Also, we still lost, so who cares. Don't need to purposely tank if your team has the ability to lose without any help.

9 minutes ago, Originalticketholder said:

We could get the second pick after the lottery...

7 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Doncic (or really any of these players) could fall based on pre-draft and increasing focus on weaknesses.

9 minutes ago, ?4thewin said:

Yes we could and could is the operative word.  But, at this point, rather than  counting on the luck of the ping pong balls I would like to see us increase our odds by tanking.  We play Chicago, Dallas, and Atlanta who are all tanking!!!   Hopefully our FO really knows how to play the tanking game!!

21 minutes ago, Odin said:

And how many players on either of those teams do you think they are looking to keep long term?

Not that we have many, but if you want to keep Mario and want to show him that he is wanted and respected, you don't shove him to the end of the bench. Same with Gordon. Even though we can match anything, you don't piss off players who you hope will be around for a while.

Also, we still lost, so who cares. Don't need to purposely tank if your team has the ability to lose without any help.

And we play Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas who are tanking.  With the exception of Mario and Gordon (go ahead and play them) do you really want to to have those other three teams get better odds at having a higher pick than us because they ARE purposely tanking!  Maybe our players will be happy if we get the #1 or # 2 pick.   I know I will!!!

3 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

You know who is probably the best bet for an alpha scorer?

Doncic

tied to the fact that he could still be impressive and productive when his shot isn't falling due to his vision over the top

Tre Burke popping off makes me want Trae Young even more. 

Pleeeeease draft Trae Young, we will sell out games,  dudes money, crowds LOVE watching small players ball out

I've somehow talked myself into Doncic, Ayton or bust. They're the clear top 2 for me. The rest of the guys I think you could arrange in any number of ways from pick 3 to about pick 9 or 10. This is definitely the type of draft where pick 9 could be a superstar while pick 3 is a bust. It's pretty scary for the Magic who absolutely need to get a talented player out of this draft but it definitely adds to the excitement of the lottery and draft night.