Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

New GM Thread

We're gonna hear lots of names. We have to at least create the illusion we're doing our due diligence.

This article didn't mention anyone but Griffin and the possibility of keeping Lloyd.

Griffin is a hell no from me.

The most important part for me is this.

"Lloyd is so well-respected by his front-office peers, several GMs told The Vertical, that they’ve been reluctant to make recommendations to Orlando about potential candidates because they hoped that Martins and ownership would seriously consider Lloyd’s candidacy."

Are we potentially gonna pass up on the right guy even though he is right under our noses?

No. This is what the media does every time any player, coach or front office person leaves the Magic. They talk about how great that person is and it's always the Magic were dumb for letting them go--and then that player, coach, or FO person ends up being average.

There are obvious exceptions to this but more often than not it's the case.

When we traded Oladipo, all the sudden he was a budding young star that was close to being Dwayne Wade with limitless potential. Fast forward 10 months and Thunder fans can't stand Dipo's erratic/inconsistent and the media says he should be sitting for McDermott. It's a cycle.

No. This is what the media does every time any player, coach or front office person leaves the Magic. They talk about how great that person is and it's always the Magic were dumb for letting them go--and then that player, coach, or FO person ends up being average.

There are obvious exceptions to this but more often than not it's the case.

When we traded Oladipo, all the sudden he was a budding young star that was close to being Dwayne Wade with limitless potential. Fast forward 10 months and Thunder fans can't stand Dipo's erratic/inconsistent and the media says he should be sitting for McDermott. It's a cycle.

Lloyd is still on the magic though

Lloyd is still on the magic though

Point remains. Even when someone is mentioned of leaving they're all the sudden the best kept secret in the NBA. If Loyd stays in Orlando there won't be anything positive said about the move. If he leaves? Totally different headline.

This article didn't mention anyone but Griffin and the possibility of keeping Lloyd.

Griffin is a hell no from me.

Right. And there have been, and will be, other names mentioned outside of this article.

Point remains. Even when someone is mentioned of leaving they're all the sudden the best kept secret in the NBA. If Loyd stays in Orlando there won't be anything positive said about the move. If he leaves? Totally different headline.

Yeah but Lloyd is highly regarded.

Right. And there have been, and will be, other names mentioned outside of this article.

And I will give my opinion accordingly.

Griffin is not a good fit and I don't like that his name is even mentioned

Waiting for a GM who has no experience in an situation like ours until June?

You don't see the problem there?

Why does he have to have "rebuilding experience?" If he's a good candidate, and he certainly has the experience, why not?

If RC Buford was available he's a no too since he hasn't been in our position?

At the risk of starting an Oladipo conversation on the GM thread:

Oladipo is a good player. We saw this in Orlando for 3 years. He's not a budding star, but he's a valuable second or third player on most teams. The problem is the Thunder is the worst place possible for him. He is essentially a jump shooter in OKC, because everyone who isn't Westbrook is a jump shooter there. He scores in most of the same ways Westbrook scores, just not as well, so he doesn't get many chances. He has upped his %s in OKC, but he's still not effective as a pure jump shooter, so the things he used to do that made up for his lack of consistent shooting aren't there to remind people why he's valuable. Put him in Boston and he'd be very good. Put him in Utah, he'd be deadly.

Why does he have to have "rebuilding experience?" If he's a good candidate, and he certainly has the experience, why not?

If RC Buford was available he's a no too since he hasn't been in our position?

What makes him a good candidate?

RC Buford has a long track record. You picked a bad example.

At the risk of starting an Oladipo conversation on the GM thread:

Oladipo is a good player. We saw this in Orlando for 3 years. He's not a budding star, but he's a valuable second or third player on most teams. The problem is the Thunder is the worst place possible for him. He is essentially a jump shooter in OKC, because everyone who isn't Westbrook is a jump shooter there. He scores in most of the same ways Westbrook scores, just not as well, so he doesn't get many chances. He has upped his %s in OKC, but he's still not effective as a pure jump shooter, so the things he used to do that made up for his lack of consistent shooting aren't there to remind people why he's valuable. Put him in Boston and he'd be very good. Put him in Utah, he'd be deadly.

I just don't agree with this. Could he be marginally better on a different team with different scheme and players? Sure. You could say that for nearly any player in the NBA though except for the select few that are playing in the perfect scheme with the perfect surrounding players (Draymond Green).

But there is no team in the NBA where Oladipo is deadly. He isn't that type of player. He's a 3rd option on a good team. He's an overrated defender and a streaky offensive player who often times plays an erratic style. That's just who he is and that's okay, you could do much worse.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that we have a highly qualified guy who is familiar with our team and organization who is also highly regarded around the league. Is he that I have no idea but I hope he gets a fair shake.