Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

probably.

He probably wants nothing to do with our current situation though.

Tony Jones @tribjazz

I'm being told milos is very close to signing with the Bulls

Cross him off.

Efl & Hamm both said the goal is bring back the core and let them grow, to see if end of the season wasn't a fluke (paraphrasing).

With that understanding, and IF true, I don't see us going after starting PG in free agency. They're gonna see if Elf can keep improving enough to be our future. His shot really needs to come on for us or he's either gone in Feb or moved to backup of the future. If there is a change at the PG spot, it'll be to get off DJ's money and improve the backup position.

I think we need to upgrade PG spot, backup stretch 4, and maybe another wing that can be ultimate vet for our guys or player young enough to grow with them, while battling the other wings on the roster for that starting position. With $13M in space, we're very limited, and WILL have to trade for changes.

He probably wants nothing to do with our current situation though.

Tony Jones @tribjazz

I'm being told milos is very close to signing with the Bulls

Cross him off.

Depends. He's very likely going to be a ship without a port once everyone else spends their cap money on pgs higher up the food chain.

so he's either going to take the MLE from some team over the cap or maybe he takes the Jeff Green deal to come here when we've already discussed how crappy next years FA is going to be. especially if the top guys (George and Paul) aren't really on the market after moves this summer.

Efl & Hamm both said the goal is bring back the core and let them grow, to see if end of the season wasn't a fluke (paraphrasing).

With that understanding, and IF true, I don't see us going after starting PG in free agency. They're gonna see if Elf can keep improving enough to be our future. His shot really needs to come on for us or he's either gone in Feb or moved to backup of the future. If there is a change at the PG spot, it'll be to get off DJ's money and improve the backup position.

I think we need to upgrade PG spot, backup stretch 4, and maybe another wing that can be ultimate vet for our guys or player young enough to grow with them, while battling the other wings on the roster for that starting position. With $13M in space, we're very limited, and WILL have to trade for changes.

he said that's the goal publicly. He also shopped Payton before (and presumptively during) the draft.

he said that's the goal publicly. He also shopped Payton before (and presumptively during) the draft.

yeah, i thought about that too. and hearing his comment about EP in Kennedy's podcast didn't exactly show a lot of confidence in him. no *****ing clue how they're going into free agency but I just hope we come out of it with Gordon/Mario/Isaac still on the roster.

yeah, i thought about that too. and hearing his comment about EP in Kennedy's podcast didn't exactly show a lot of confidence in him. no *****ing clue how they're going into free agency but I just hope we come out of it with Gordon/Mario/Isaac still on the roster.

what did he say there?

Realistic free agency goals from me are that we bring in a new point guard, re-sign Meeks and sign a back up 4. Wouldn't be upset to see Vucevic traded, would be disappointed if we couldn't find a way to unload DJ

Realistic free agency goals from me are that we bring in a new point guard, re-sign Meeks and sign a back up 4. Wouldn't be upset to see Vucevic traded, would be disappointed if we couldn't find a way to unload DJ

dump a single long term contract. wait until mid-july and grab someone that falls through the cracks like Miami did last season.

what did he say there?

Kennedy asked about Gordon, EP, and Mario.

For Gordon, he raved about him. Talks about his potential and ability to become great. For EP and Mario, gave more a generic reply like "yeah, all young players have a chance to be good if they work at it." I could be reading too much into it, but I didn't get the same confidence in EP and Mario as shown for AG.

0:30: The Chris Paul trade to the Houston Rockets.

1:15: How stars teaming up and forming super-teams has affected how he does his job.

2:00: What attracted him to the Magic GM job.

2:45: The front office staff that Orlando has assembled and how they’ll work together.

3:30: Drafting Jonathan Isaac with the sixth overall pick and how he fits in Orlando.

4:50: Whether he’ll continue pursuing long, versatile players like he did with the Milwaukee Bucks.

6:40: Thoughts on second-round pick Wesley Iwundu and what he’ll bring to the team.

7:25: Are the Magic focused on rebuilding and developing players or trying to win now?

9:00: With several super-teams around the NBA right now, is building for several years down the road smarter?

10:30: How he discovered Giannis Antetokounmpo when he was with the Bucks.

13:05: The value of putting veterans around a young core and whether he’ll try to do that in Orlando.

14:20: How does this offseason’s activity so far compare to other years?

15:50: A typical day for him leading up to free agency.

16:50: How aggressive will the Magic be in free agency and in trade discussions next week?

18:20: Is anyone on the team is untouchable?

19:15: Thoughts on Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton and Mario Hezonja.

21:55: How do you plan on using Orlando’s G-League team?

23:00: Lessons he learned from his time with Milwaukee that he can use in Orlando.

24:20: The Magic struggled offensively last year. What steps will be taken to turn the offense around?

25:45: The best part of being a GM and the most challenging part of the job.

27:55: What advice would you give to someone who hopes to work in an NBA front office?

28:40: Does Orlando’s nice weather and lack of state income tax help when it comes to pursuing free agents?

I still can't believe Henny's free agent signings last summer: Biyombo, Augustine and Green. Ugghh. It's a classic example of spending money because you have it as well as trying to force the maturation process of a young team. I'll put some of the latter on ownership. Wish we had the ability to take on money right now to acquire assets (e.g. Russell to Brooklyn deal) rather than have random contracts that take up roster spots.