Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I don't really see how they correspond. They're no where near the same caliber of player.

I mean I get the more money other players from the draft class get the better for AG, but Wiggins is on a different planet compared to AG.

because if Wiggins took 5/125 or something like that then we could say "Aaron, Wiggins has shown more than you on a similar age/development curve. why would we pay you more than him?"

it's like during the old NFL draft rules where everyone would wait for the top player drafted in their position to sign a contract so they could negotiate off that contract.

Wiggins was never taking less. He's arguably the best player in the NBA under 23. He was always getting every penny.

I don't see how he and AG are even spoken of in the same sentence. One guy could be a future MVP and the other is a fringe starter.

Giannis took less.

dude. If you need to get your car washed and the premium wash is $10, the mid level wash isn't going to be $10 or $11 or $15. Premium sets the market. If wiggins took less it drops Gordon's market. if wiggins makes 150, Gordon could negotiate comfortably in the 130 range. if wiggins took 130, Gordon cant negotiate in the 130 range.

Giannis took less.

dude.  If you need to get your car washed and the premium wash is $10, the mid level wash isn't going to be $10 or $11 or $15. Premium sets the market. If wiggins took less it drops Gordon's market. if wiggins makes 150, Gordon could negotiate comfortably in the 130 range. if wiggins took 130, Gordon cant negotiate in the 130 range.

lol because the car wash market is totally like the NBA market.

lol because the car wash market is totally like the NBA market.

it's a basic analogy. you could replace it with something else if you want. The basic idea is if top value things are ($x) lower value things must be <($x) and the party trying to get the most money possible loses leverage.

it's a basic analogy. you could replace it with something else if you want. The basic idea is if top value things are ($x) lower value things must be <($x) and the party trying to get the most money possible loses leverage.

then we just disagree on the value. If Wiggins is a premium wash, then gordon is closer to the basic wash plus free vacuum at the end.

Wiggins was never taking less. He's arguably the best player in the NBA under 23. He was always getting every penny.

I don't see how he and AG are even spoken of in the same sentence. One guy could be a future MVP and the other is a fringe starter.

They're not spoken of in the same language. But if Wiggins is getting that via extension, and that's supposed to be a bargain, well AG's pricetag could still be about $30 million less, which is what was proposed. What then if AG has a breakout year going 20 PPG and 9 rebounds? And his defense remains super. With the team now even slightly better structured and AG playing at his natural position, I don't think the numbers I'm proposing is that way off. AG averaged 16+ PPG and 6.5 rebounds post all star break last year. He's going to be a beast during contract year negotiations.

Indiana is becoming weirder by the minute.

Damian Wilkins just signed for the veteran minimun!!!WTF?

With all the great options still out there??

Is Mobley, Rashard, Deshawn Stevenson or even Stephen Jackson next?

AG is getting a 5/115 extension most likely. 23mil per year.

Payton is getting the 5/75 range. 15mil per year

I think that is fair for both. If they dont want rhis you let rhem walk and taste the market by the end of the season. Not sure if there are going to be many teams willing to offer him max money.

Giannis took less.

dude. If you need to get your car washed and the premium wash is $10, the mid level wash isn't going to be $10 or $11 or $15. Premium sets the market. If wiggins took less it drops Gordon's market. if wiggins makes 150, Gordon could negotiate comfortably in the 130 range. if wiggins took 130, Gordon cant negotiate in the 130 range.

You think Wiggins is only 20 mil over a 5 year span better than AG?

If Wiggins takes 150, AG should be in the 90 range at the absolute most. Again, this assuming AG still doesn't have this breakout campaign we've been hearing about for 4 years. If he does, then I see your point a little more.

• Upvote 1

Weltman has been saying something along the lines of "we're not done, we're going to add shooting to the roster"

ok. how the heck is that going to happen?

we have ostensibly a top 10 established already. a top 9 if they don't believe in Hezonja. a top 8 if they don't believe in Hezonja and Isaac is a development player. so signing a shooter isn't going to help us too much. it just adds a new 9th man.

so trades?

including Fournier or ross in a trade wouldn't add shooting.

cant trade mack or simmons. so no upgrading backup pg or sg shooting.

Gordon? Isaac isn't ready yet to be a full time PF and there aren't any shooting PFs who can also play defense like we want to play defense on the market. You could talk me into a future where we make that determination at the deadline but not this offseason.

Payton? I don't see a great deal out there for a shooting point guard right now. We're clearly building toward 2019 and Jackson hurts that and Phoenix is only shopping Bledsoe for a fortune so I'm not really sure what's out there over the next two months.

Wiggins & T-Wolves negotiating 5-year, $148M extension.

AG and his people are happy about that. Like Payton said, 5yr/$113 would be a good number.

Yep. If we can get a lower $ amount for Gordon who- in my opinion- is a better player (Though he doesn't put up the pretty point totals), that should be a good deal.

You think Wiggins is only 20 mil over a 5 year span better than AG?

If Wiggins takes 150, AG should be in the 90 range at the absolute most. Again, this assuming AG still doesn't have this breakout campaign we've been hearing about for 4 years. If he does, then I see your point a little more.

Gordon is a better player than Wiggins- Wiggins defense is so bad that he actively hurts the wolves while he is on the court, and while he scores more points he does it an mediocre efficiency.

He will get a higher salary because he scored over 20 points a game last year, but that doesn't mean he is a better player.