Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

here's the benchmark our bench has to exceed this year.

post all star:

29.3 ppg on 37/28/85 shooting

opponent benches averaged

41.2 ppg on 48/40/72 shooting

I could get five g league players to be better than our bench last year. They were the ultimate tank platoon.

Two young, talented studs who are slowly getting better due to inept use of their given strengths. Likely to improve immensely in a system that utilizes their strengths and surrounded with players that can offset their weaknesses. We are still a team of no shooters, though, so ..... We may expect another year of failure....

This is overly optimistic.

maybe we undervalue payton?

or maybe 538 is not the end all be all of player evaluations? I don't need 538 to tell me Payton and AG are worth their ridiculous projections when clearly the play on the floor hasn't translated to those kinds of dollars. Why are you OK with giving Gordon that money, but OH when it comes to Payton you're hesitant? just picking when it's convenient?

And like HeHateMe said, I'm not giving that much money to guy who only averages 13/5 and can't hit a three to save his life. If he comes at a Fournier price that's a different story. Let some team make him an offer and just match, there is no reason to outbid ourselves. Same with Payton.

• Upvote 2

At the end of Robs 5 year rebuild I wouldnt be surprised if we let Payton and Gordon walk while Mario becomes a guy who no team wants even for a second rounder. The net would be all his draft picks are gone along with our flexibility and future picks. I bet Martins and ownership are happy they hired the cheapest GM they could find.

I'm prepared for the worst, and this could very well be the reality. I would rather let these guys go or package them for something else than sign them to Biyombo-type deals. If we're going to be consistent and say "no more bad long term deals" then you can't give Payton and Gordon those kinds of "projected" deals.

I think Payton and AG both have a hell of a lot to play for this year. We can all agree on that.

Weltman said in that SL interview that multiple guys needed to prove this season that they can be consistently good players in this league. It doesn't take an insider to know who he was referring to. They will be evaluating Payton & AG closely this season without a doubt.

Ball out, get paid.

If not, I have no issues letting either or both walk.

Let some team make him an offer and just match, there is no reason to outbid ourselves. Same with Payton.

This is exactly how you wind up overpaying players or losing them for nothing. The cheapest way to keep either Payton or Gordon will be to extend them before they hit RFA. They've both shown enough flashes that teams with money will offer them big deals.

This is exactly how you wind up overpaying players or losing them for nothing. The cheapest way to keep either Payton or Gordon will be to extend them before they hit RFA. They've both shown enough flashes that teams with money will offer them big deals.

I'm OK with losing them for nothing, if it means we don't have to pay them some ridiculous salary when they have yet to prove they are worth it. If a team is dumb enough to overpay by that much, then congrats to them.

We should play their RFA just like the Mavs are playing Nerlens Noel. Let him and his agent talk to teams to set their market. Then come back to us.

or maybe 538 is not the end all be all of player evaluations? I don't need 538 to tell me Payton and AG are worth their ridiculous projections when clearly the play on the floor hasn't translated to those kinds of dollars. Why are you OK with giving Gordon that money, but OH when it comes to Payton you're hesitant? just picking when it's convenient?

And like HeHateMe said, I'm not giving that much money to guy who only averages 13/5 and can't hit a three to save his life. If he comes at a Fournier price that's a different story. Let some team make him an offer and just match, there is no reason to outbid ourselves. Same with Payton.

Payton is older

If Payton can't figure out how to shoot he has to be a ball dominant guard and that might not work in today's nba where ball movement is at a premium. That means if we ever did luck into a jimmy butler type player we would have to trade Payton because you couldn't play both at the same time.

Gordon fits more styles. If all he does is play defense and cut off ball and drive he'll be fine in most cases

I think Payton and AG both have a hell of a lot to play for this year. We can all agree on that.

Weltman said in that SL interview that multiple guys needed to prove this season that they can be consistently good players in this league. It doesn't take an insider to know who he was referring to. They will be evaluating Payton & AG closely this season without a doubt.

Ball out, get paid.

If not, I have no issues letting either or both walk.

Very fair assessment! In fact, I would think that this discussion has already taken place with either both players or their agents.

Again, to be fair, all of these guys have been exposed to nothing but inconsistency in coaching and Front Office issues, which hampered/retarded the entire organization. So to coin a phrase....."Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!" is appropriate for where we find ourselves.

writing_thinking.gif