Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Please stop the "never to be mentioned" player talk now! He is a virus, cancer, flesh eating bacteria for ANY team period.

Payton, has Vuc's advanced numbers gotten better or worse over the past few seasons?

it's kinda hard to say because the team got better, then worse.

his offensive numbers declined significantly from 15-16 to 16-17 with his shooting percentages on catch and shoot where he dropped from 48% to 40% (39% pre all star; 42% post). this could just be a down year because he's never been lower than 45% in catch and shoot shots.

his defensive numbers also declined despite "the eye test" where he did look better defending pick and rolls and stuff. players shot 58% on him on shots 0-6 feet from the basket in 15-16, 62% last year.

I agree. Look at the current available free agent centers. They can even get a decent offer.

Pau Gasol, plumlee, Noel. To name a few. The only real center who has signed to a decent deal this years has been Dedmond at 7mil per 2 years.

It appears as Dallas has offered Noel a 10 mil per year deal which he has refused. I see him taking the qualify offer and try again as an unrestrictive free agent next year. I dont see anyone offer him more than 12-15 mil per year if that, for a 2-3 year tops.

I dont think Vuc or any other center is yet needed when this other centers are still available for cheap on a likely 1-2 year term.

yeah, that's what teams are basically saying.

ok we can sign or trade for (good offense, bad defense center) but why do that when we can't play him big minutes against good teams and we can sign an "ok offense ok defense" center for pennies?

it's kinda hard to say because the team got better, then worse.

his offensive numbers declined significantly from 15-16 to 16-17 with his shooting percentages on catch and shoot where he dropped from 48% to 40% (39% pre all star; 42% post). this could just be a down year because he's never been lower than 45% in catch and shoot shots.

his defensive numbers also declined despite "the eye test" where he did look better defending pick and rolls and stuff. players shot 58% on him on shots 0-6 feet from the basket in 15-16, 62% last year.

Was his catch and shoot drop off because of shooting further from hoop? I think getting married may have made him even softer if that's possible lol. Or ever since he got hurt down low he seems skidish. Maybe some testosterone shots would help.

Was his catch and shoot drop off because of shooting further from hoop? I think getting married may have made him even softer if that's possible lol. Or ever since he got hurt down low he seems skidish. Maybe some testosterone shots would help.

no. the drop was in comparable shooting zones too.

I really hope we extend Gordon for something like 5/115 because the max we can offer him next summer is 5/154 and other teams can offer him 4/113 next summer.

I really hope we extend Gordon for something like 5/115 because the max we can offer him next summer is 5/154 and other teams can offer him 4/113 next summer.

Crazy to think AG will be making 115 million but that's the market today.

I'd rather extend him sooner so we don't have to pay him the max.

At risk of creating my annual argument about DH, Here is my 2 cents.

Dwight was never a locker room problem here or a cancer until he told Management he wanted to leave and Stan put it out in the media (Not Dwight). Can we really blame Dwight for wanting out? We weren't going to win a Championship with the team constructed and Management kept adding ok pieces that were never going to help turn the corner. I just don't understand how some of you on here could cheer, buy merchandise, wait in hour long lines for autographs and then hate the guy because he was unhappy with Management (Not us). Dwight is a million times better than VUC and I believe if he came back here he would be a great locker room guy and be content with being home. I for one will be there cheering and clapping when we finally add him into our Hall of Fame.

Dwight was never a locker room problem here or a cancer until he told Management he wanted to leave and Stan put it out in the media (Not Dwight). Can we really blame Dwight for wanting out? We weren't going to win a Championship with the team constructed and Management kept adding ok pieces that were never going to help turn the corner. I just don't understand how some of you on here could cheer, buy merchandise, wait in hour long lines for autographs and then hate the guy because he was unhappy with Management (Not us). Dwight is a million times better than VUC and I believe if he came back here he would be a great locker room guy and be content with being home. I for one will be there cheering and clapping when we finally add him into our Hall of Fame.

It was when his displeasure with management led to the will he/won't he opt in, and that turned into such a circus that I lost respect for him; and that was pretty much on him. I am pretty sure he made some demands for shots/touches, and that he wanted the offence to be more Dwight-centric; as that has been the report from every stop along his journey. If he had ever been satisfied to be the dominating defensive player that he was earlier in his career, he might have been one of the best ever. Unfortunately, he was never satisfied to concentrate on what he did best. You make yourself a star in the league by adding to your game, not by losing focus on what you do best. Dwight became so focused on becoming an offensive star, that his defensive game has suffered, to the point people forget he was once the best rebounder and defender in the league. Unless and until he regains that focus, he will always be more about what is "best" for Dwight, not what is best for the team; so no, I do not want him back on this team for that reason.

completely remove Dwight's time with the magic from the argument. we're too close to it.

Nobody likes him. Durant hates him. Bill Simmons has mentioned numerous times that when he was in London for the 2012 Olympics he mentioned how the team was thin at center because of Dwight's back surgery and some unnamed star player responded "No, ***** that guy".

he's clashed with Kobe (ok, everyone does). Steve Nash had issues with him because he didn't want to run pick and rolls and complained about his lack of post touches. and this is still an issue:

For the Hawks to maximize Howard’s value for the remainder of his contract and maximize the chances another team will accept him in a trade, he must transform his shot profile. Howard remains among the NBA’s least efficient post players, managing only .84 points per possession on post-ups, which ranks in the 38th percentile. By contrast, Howard averages a supremely efficient 1.18 points per possession as the roll man in pick and rolls, which ranks in the 84th percentile. Sadly, Howard used only 98 possessions as the roll man last season compared to nearly 300 post-up possessions. That number needs to be completely flipped next season. It should be Howard’s goal to attempt at least 300 possessions as the roll man while limiting his post-ups to 100 for the season. Accomplish that shot profile transformation, and Howard will be able to maximize his talents in the remaining years of his contract. http://www.basketballinsiders.com/the-dwight-howard-problem/

He's clashed with Harden.

He had problems with the Hawks in general.

He got a car impounded during the playoffs for driving without insurance

but beyond all that, the dude has weird connections to 16 year old girls. It's not appropriate to suggest anything more than that. I don't want to suggest he's doing anything illegal. but the situation is weird.

completely remove Dwight's time with the magic from the argument. we're too close to it.

Nobody likes him. Durant hates him. Bill Simmons has mentioned numerous times that when he was in London for the 2012 Olympics he mentioned how the team was thin at center because of Dwight's back surgery and some unnamed star player responded "No, ***** that guy".

he's clashed with Kobe (ok, everyone does). Steve Nash had issues with him because he didn't want to run pick and rolls and complained about his lack of post touches. and this is still an issue:

He's clashed with Harden.

He had problems with the Hawks in general.

He got a car impounded during the playoffs for driving without insurance

but beyond all that, the dude has weird connections to 16 year old girls. It's not appropriate to suggest anything more than that. I don't want to suggest he's doing anything illegal. but the situation is weird.

He also clashed with dantoni. And the rockets, among other reasons, traded away dwight and hired dantoni in the same summer because they knew they would be better off.

He's a sad sad man. I don't feel bad for him at all.

but what will the market look like next summer? Not a lot of teams can offer him that max.