Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Thats funny.

yeah. I think its fair to say we should have taken a better look at Giannis. He was very high risk though so I get why he fell to where he did.

The only other option is Lowry but I don't know if its really fair to say we overlooked him. He just went like a dozen picks after JJ and we had Jameer and Arroyo already locked up. And Lowry didn't become great until he hit his third team.

the strategy isn't lose until you get LeBron. it's lose until you get a solid player that you can build around. So Lebron, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Anthony Davis, Lillard, Cousins (in a vacuum), Kawhi, Kyrie Irving, Towns, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kemba, John Wall, Giannis, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Chris Paul, wiggins, etc.

Once you get that you can stop tanking. Because you now have a foundational piece that you can plan around.

Add a Wiggins to our current team and we're at best in the dreaded 8th playoff spot that everyone says we want to avoid at all costs.

It's true that you get better draft picks by being a worse team. I don't like that system personally because I think it creates perverse incentives, but I acknowledge that it is the way the current system is structured. But getting those better picks isn't free. To get there, you had to make your team very bad. That leads to at least two problems: the first is that it's harder for your new star to turn the team around because he has so little to work with. The second is that the long term losing fosters destructive habits and a losing mindset, which are hard to change. Yes, you get better draft picks by being awful, no ones ever disputed that, but you pay a steep price to get there.

Add a Wiggins to our current team and we're at best in the dreaded 8th playoff spot that everyone says we want to avoid at all costs.

It's true that you get better draft picks by being a worse team. I don't like that system personally because I think it creates perverse incentives, but I acknowledge that it is the way the current system is structured. But getting those better picks isn't free. To get there, you had to make your team very bad. That leads to at least two problems: the first is that it's harder for your new star to turn the team around because he has so little to work with. The second is that the long term losing fosters destructive habits and a losing mindset, which are hard to change. Yes, you get better draft picks by being awful, no ones ever disputed that, but you pay a steep price to get there.

How old is Wiggins? How old is Iggy?

How old is Wiggins? How old is Iggy?

I think you might be confusing me with someone else. Where did I mention Iggy or any other specific player in my post above? In fact, can you find any post I've ever made where I mention Iggy?

Add a Wiggins to this team and we have a player to build around. We don't need to draft early. We focus on putting players around him that would put him in a situation to succeed.

And it might not work in the long run. We might end up like Portland for the past 12 years. But we have hope.

I think you might be confusing me with someone else. Where did I mention Iggy or any other specific player in my post above? In fact, can you find any post I've ever made where I mention Iggy?

My bad. I confused you with someone else.

Here's the thing about 8th seed and having Wiggins. Wiggins has increased his ppg every year by around 4 points.

This year he averaged 23.6 at 22 years old. You can build around that.

Since you brought it up, who would you have us sign rather than depending on the draft?

Yeah, we were doing great, then mean old Skiles messed it all up. Lol, come on man

No the agenda changed. We went from acquiring assets for future sustainable growth, developing young potential, to a hurray up win now dump assets for veterans mindset.

Tobias for Jennings and IIyasova was a Skiles move. More was to come if Skiles was still here. He'd probably would want us to trade EP for Hinrich and AG for Deng.

I'm sure that this was already mentioned but I just found this article while I was looking for some kind of update to the GM search.

Apparently the Magic are interested in David Griffin over in Cleveland? Also the article said that Martins was heavily engaged in the process, so take that for what it is worth.

Does anyone else have any feeling on who could be a good fit for GM here? In an ideal world, what would you want our front office to look like, that would create a winning culture in Orlando in the next couple of years??

Link

I'm sure that this was already mentioned but I just found this article while I was looking for some kind of update to the GM search.

Apparently the Magic are interested in David Griffin over in Cleveland? Also the article said that Martins was heavily engaged in the process, so take that for what it is worth.

Does anyone else have any feeling on who could be a good fit for GM here? In an ideal world, what would you want our front office to look like, that would create a winning culture in Orlando in the next couple of years??

Link

Maybe check out the "New GM thread"?