Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

This is part two of my series where I make the Philadelphia 76ers do a fake trade with every team in the NBA. Today’s trade will be with the Orlando Magic. This trade proposal was a bit tricky. Orlando already has multiple big men, so a Jahlil Okafor trade was off the table. Aaron Gordon has one year left on his deal before restricted free agency. Philadelphia probably wouldn’t be interested in him, considering he wouldn’t even start on the Sixers. The Sixers have no use for Elfird Payton due to his poor shooting. However, I did find one trade that would be interesting for Philadelphia to do.

SIXERS GET MARIO HEZONJA

MAGIC GET NIK STAUSKAS, BEST OF CLE OR BKN'S 2018 2ND RD. PICK

Why Philadelphia does it: Nik Stauskas is entering the final year of his contract. Mario Hezonja has two years left on his contract. Philadelphia does this to delay having to give an extension to the player they acquire by one year. They also do it to take a chance on a player who arguably has more upside than Stauskas, due to Hezonja’s superior physical tools. Hezonja could stay on the roster for two years and develop behind Redick and Covington. Lastly, Philadelphia is tight on roster spots so losing a second round pick isn’t the end of the world.

Why Orlando does it: Mario Hezonja only played 14.8 minutes last year for Orlando. He shot 29.9 percent from three and had a 45.0 percent true shooting. Orlando acquires Stauskas, who shot 36.8 percent from three last year. Orlando was ranked 29th in 3-point shooting last year. They shot 32.8 percent. Orlando acquires more spacing to put around Jonathan Isaac and Aaron Gordon.

https://thesixersens...adelphia-76ers/

I'd rather take my chances on Mario developing into a useful rotation player.

Was thinking about this the other day.

Would we think about trading AG?

Doubt it unless we're returning some big missing piece. Gordon is a big part of what they want to do.

Was thinking about this the other day.

Would we think about trading AG?

If Dallas calls with an offer for Dennis Smith Jr...you better believe it!

you know, even if hezonja is out of the rotation i don't see us trading him. Look at all the young players in Toronto that were third string. They keep them around so that when a favorable trade pops up they can trade a guy in the rotation without worrying about leaving a huge hole in the roster. Did it with ross and Joseph. They'll do it with valenciunas soon.

Doubt it unless we're returning some big missing piece. Gordon is a big part of what they want to do.

Yeah the return would have to be big.

Humor me. I know it's not currently going to happen and I know the likelihood Mario is ready for such an promotion is slim but hypothetically, what if Isaac/Mario turn out be a better 3/4 than AG/Whatever down the road?