Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

If I represented the Magic I would say no to that deal. Vucevic is one of the more underrated bigs in the league. He has more value than Jackson. We (as a collective) tend to forget what he brings to the table, instead focusing on his weakness (defense) and are obsessed with this 'new era' of small ball, even though we don't have a small ball team. Subtracting our best technical player because he's 7 feet doesn't mean you changed your squad to a small ball lineup. Nik is a value at his production/cost.

For Jackson I would throw out DJ and Watson, attach a top 50 protected pick or something and call it quits.

All right, how about Biyombo and Augustin for Jackson, Marcus Morris, and Stanley Johnson.

All right, how about Biyombo and Augustin for Jackson, Marcus Morris, and Stanley Johnson.

Detroit hangs up and never calls us again.

understand what Detroit wants. If they match KCP they'll have no/limited cap room until 2020. They're in limbo where they want to get in the playoffs. They're not confident in Jackson and want to play ish more.

so a Augustin-watson move gives them 10 million more in cap room each of the next few years.

Augustin is a vet and they can talk themselves into him being a better fit in that role than Jackson anyway.

and a future first is something they can point to and say "Look! we didn't give him away. we got something".

Detroit hangs up and never calls us again.

understand what Detroit wants. If they match KCP they'll have no/limited cap room until 2020. They're in limbo where they want to get in the playoffs. They're not confident in Jackson and want to play ish more.

so a Augustin-watson move gives them 10 million more in cap room each of the next few years.

Augustin is a vet and they can talk themselves into him being a better fit in that role than Jackson anyway.

and a future first is something they can point to and say "Look! we didn't give him away. we got something".

my concern with Jackson is his knee issues. Also, does he come across as a "giver" and not a "taker". We know that answer, so I don't think he falls in line with Jeff & John's characteristics they want in a player.

Reggie Jackson would be an excellent pickup for us...if we want to tank.

Even on the most basic level, the Pistons posted a 5.7 net rating without Drummond, and that number submarined to minus-6.3 when he was on the floor. Substitute Jackson in, and those respective marks stand at 2.6 and minus-8.7.

http://bleacherrepor...-need-to-happen

They would say no because all their depth would return a situational center and DJA, which would be a step down in their backup pg prospects, though perhaps he would be a better role player-fit for what they're trying to do. Maybe if you threw them an extra first rounder they would consider it. But as bad as we've been I would be reticent to give a first rounder away, especially to the Pistons, for fear of a down year.

Bottom line, I just don't think DET is an appropriate trade partner for us at this point.

my concern with Jackson is his knee issues. Also, does he come across as a "giver" and not a "taker". We know that answer, so I don't think he falls in line with Jeff & John's characteristics they want in a player.

I'm iffy on it even if we got him for augustin/Watson

you have a guy who is coming off of a knee injury. Is he declining?

Are his issues more missing the first 21 games of the season, falling out of rhythm, and quitting on the team that quit on him mid season? He did put up about 20 and 6 on 46/45/84 shooting in January and the team went 6-7 over that period.

He's got a 7'0 wingspan so he'll fit our switching defense more than a jeff Teague or mills.

So I don't know. it depends on what our team plans are. If we're going big scope and we're planning on clearing cap space for 2020, sure, lets gamble on Jackson. But if we're planning on scuttling the salaries of biyombo and Fournier for a shot at 2019 then we should avoid taking on any more long term salary and a Jackson trade would kill us.

it really depends on what our plans are for the next 2 years. 2018 free agency is going to suck. 2019 might be great with westbrook, klay, wall, kemba, and whoever doesn't get extended from the 2015 draft.

So if we're building for 2019 free agency, we don't need Jackson's contract on the books. if we're building for 2020, when biyombo comes off and Fournier will have 1 year left on his deal we'd have no problem taking on Jackson as his contract falls in line with Biyombo.

Yeah i looked over next years FA's and didn't see anything.

I don't think we'll be big players in this FA either.

Trades are going to probably be the way.

yeah, he was bad last year. hence why he's available.

but he's had a positive net rating every other year of his career.

that's the gamble.

It's probably best we just sign Teague to a two year and cut salary.