Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Magic at Nets Game Thread

I don't think it's contradictory to simultaneously think Payton is getting a lot better and we would be better off long term with another point guard. You don't have to be on one side or the other.

If we're going to keep him he needs to improve his defense or his shooting. Preferably both.

It's fair to take a cautious approach due to the lateness in a lost season. However, it's even more fair to be optimistic of how Payton has responded. Therefore the fairest position to have right now would be cautious optimism. The time for hate is gone.

Those other two guys you mentioned are actually playing well; as others have mentioned our starters have largely been playing well as a group, but the drop off after them is profound. We need depth, and one more playmaking front court player and we could have a good team.

The time for hate is not gone. He still can't shoot. He's flashed for stretches plenty in his career, as players often do.

Ricky Rubio averaged 18 and 10 in March while shooting 45% from deep.

Is he all the sudden a franchise PG?

I agree with your second paragraph.

I don't think it's contradictory to simultaneously think Payton is getting a lot better and we would be better off long term with another point guard. You don't have to be on one side or the other.

If we're going to keep him he needs to improve his defense or his shooting. Preferably both.

This is where I am. Payton has improved. I'm not denying that. But if we have a shot at one of the top PG's in the draft I'd 100% go for it because they have much more upside to me and Payton is still no where near a top 15 PG.

Payton is getting a lot better and we would be better off long term with another point guard.

This is my stance actually.

I can't hate on the kid because he's showing improvement. That's all you can ask for

This is where I am. Payton has improved. I'm not denying that. But if we have a shot at one of the top PG's in the draft I'd 100% go for it because they have much more upside to me and Payton is still no where near a top 15 PG.

Yeah. It's not unacceptable to say " Payton looks more consistent and playing well", and obtained a better pg.

I can't believe this is even a issue.

Yeah. It's not unacceptable to say " Payton looks more consistent and playing well", and obtained a better pg.

I can't believe this is even a issue.

I'd like to keep Payton as the backup PG. I don't think many teams will throw him a huge offer so he could be an affordable and nice backup PG. Who cares about his feelings?

I was pleasantly surprised with the loss because I really thought we'd win both Brooklyn games.

Payton and AG are looking a lot better and I'd like to keep them around. Payton as the backup PG and Gordon as the starting 4

Now if only we could get Lonzo Ball and have the Lakers miss their pick...

I was pleasantly surprised with the loss because I really thought we'd win both Brooklyn games.

Payton and AG are looking a lot better and I'd like to keep them around. Payton as the backup PG and Gordon as the starting 4

I just don't know about Ball. He's talented but his lack of ability to score concerns me.

If we're going strictly off numbers, which we obviously are for the fans of Payton--seemingly always pointing to his triple doubles--I don't see why you wouldn't be pleased with fourniers play of late--or even vuchs to a lesser extent.

Fournier in March--19 points, 2.3 assists, 36% from 3, 53% from the field

Vuch in March--16 points, 12 boards, 1 bock and steal per game too.

The reason why these stats to me are fairly empty and meaningless is the season is over, has been over, and we're still losing the majority of these games even when starters are putting up nice individual stat lines. I still don't see this new found reason for optimism surrounding this team. We've lost 4 strait, 5 of our last 6--we are a terrible teams with multiple terrible contracts.

I don't think that liking Payton means I'm suddenly optimistic about the team. It just means that I think Payton can be a viable piece of the team going forward to keep around, and can be a productive piece of our team when we do find success eventually.

Payton's play on its own doesn't mean we're in the right direction. We need a lot more pieces to get to where we need to be. A lot.

This sums up very well why the "pure tank" strategy of making yourself as bad as possible is high-risk. If you get that magical draft pick, great, but it had better be a really good player because you've built a team where everyone else sucks. And if you don't get it, you could be in the cellar for a decade or more. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we went 5 more years with no playoffs.

I love you.

AG is more of a backup than Payton at this point.