Sign in to follow this  
HardCutting Franz

Gamethread : Wizards vs Magic

Why was Green in at the end of the game? And Vuc switched out for Biyombo with like 2 minutes left? I couldn't watch the game, just following the game cast. Also, DJ was switched for Payton at the end, when shooters would make sense. But that's a more understandable move.

We need to make an decision on him. He can't keep picking and choosing when to be aggressive.

I made a decision on him almost 2 years ago. Not sure why it's taken this long for others to do so. He's a backup PG--nothing more and nothing less.

Well we're gonna eventually reach a stretch in the next 2 months where the playoffs may get out of reach but it ain't looking pretty no

This team sucks

Not trying to be Mr. A$$hole here, but the playoffs are out of reach. This team will never sniff .500 now. We will be 6-13 after our next 3. Season is lost.

I made a decision on him almost 2 years ago. Not sure why it's taken this long for others to do so. He's a backup PG--nothing more and nothing less.

I don't know either. I understand you want to see what Vogel does with him but his mentality is the problem and that's not something a coach can improve.

Why was Green in at the end of the game? And Vuc switched out for Biyombo with like 2 minutes left? I couldn't watch the game, just following the game cast. Also, DJ was switched for Payton at the end, when shooters would make sense. But that's a more understandable move.

Green played defense once, hit some ugly shots and that was enough to cement him as the guy down the stretch.

I can't answer it. It irks me big time and I can't stand it.

Because he has the requisite ability to be a pretty solid starting point guard and is young but has issues playing hard.

There's games or quarters when you look at him and say "man if we get that Payton more often we're in great shape" but then he goes 3.5 games where he just sleepwalks through them. Then he has a solid quarter again followed by a great game and it gives hope.

But ultimately what's worse? A guy who has flaws but plays at 100% at all times or a guy who is talented but cant mentally dip into that talent.

I remember early on watching kemba walker as a freshman and a sophomore. You could see the talent but he'd often play at 1,000 miles per hour which caused him to play out of control and make a bunch of mistakes. Jim Calhoun would reference this and say " i would always prefer a guy where i have to 'reel him in' vs a guy where i have to tell him to 'pick it up'". I can't help but think Payton is the latter.

We lost the game when Vogel put Green in and didn't get Gordon in again. That team is too athletic to rely on Green, AG at least gets us second shots.

Has anyone noticed that Gordon is open alot on alley-oops behind the defense and Augustin never passes to him. Payton makes that pass easy . Payton can be a top PG in this league if he gets the right coaching. And he is a starter in this league, he is an old school point though. In year 4 or 5, he will be an All-Star. If Henny is there, Payton is the point guard. If the rest of the starters hit their open shots his assists will jump.

Not trying to be Mr. A$$hole here, but the playoffs are out of reach. This team will never sniff .500 now. We will be 6-13 after our next 3. Season is lost.

We're 3 games under .500 the playoffs are absolutely not out of reach.

Depends entirely on what happens this road trip. We go 1-5 or 2-4 and the season could start to spiral. We steal a couple and go 3-3 and we'll be fine.

Because he has the requisite ability to be a pretty solid starting point guard and is young but has issues playing hard.

There's games or quarters when you look at him and say "man if we get that Payton more often we're in great shape" but then he goes 3.5 games where he just sleepwalks through them. Then he has a solid quarter again followed by a great game and it gives hope.

But ultimately what's worse? A guy who has flaws but plays at 100% at all times or a guy who is talented but cant mentally dip into that talent.

I remember early on watching kemba walker as a freshman and a sophomore. You could see the talent but he'd often play at 1,000 miles per hour which caused him to play out of control and make a bunch of mistakes. Jim Calhoun would reference this and say " i would always prefer a guy where i have to 'reel him in' vs a guy where i have to tell him to 'pick it up'". I can't help but think Payton is the latter.

He is the latter. Usually it's one game on, two or three off. Tonight he was off in the first half and on in the second.

It's who he is and you just can't rely on someone like that.

We lost the game when Vogel put Green in and didn't get Gordon in again. That team is too athletic to rely on Green, AG at least gets us second shots.

Has anyone noticed that Gordon is open alot on alley-oops behind the defense and Augustin never passes to him. Payton makes that pass easy . Payton can be a top PG in this league if he gets the right coaching. And he is a starter in this league, he is an old school point though. In year 4 or 5, he will be an All-Star. If Henny is there, Payton is the point guard. If the rest of the starters hit their open shots his assists will jump.

It's not his talent. He's always been talented, it's his mentality. DJ is not an starter for sure but all the talent in the world mean she nothing of you don't come to work consistently.

He is the latter. Usually it's one game on, two or three off. Tonight he was off in the first half and on in the second.

It's who he is and you just can't rely on someone like that.

Right. So let's say tomorrow a team doctor realized Payton needs glasses and it improves his shot so that he's a 37% three point shooter.

Even after that do we think he's the long term answer? Is mentality improvable? You see this sometimes with young players on great veteran teams where they have to be prodded to take over.

But can he improve when he's been given every opportunity for it to be his team and he still has these issues?